Lots of changes

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
There have been some changes in our house over the past couple of weeks. I've waited to post due to the fact that this is a public forum and the safety of these animals is the most important thing.

We no longer have Ava. :( It was an incredibly difficult decision but we had to re-home her. The owners that she was rescued from lived way too close to us and it just wasn't safe for her to be here anymore. We found her a home much further away and it's an excellent home and she is safe and loved... and very spoiled!

We also just recently rescued two more puppies from a very bad situation. They are brother and sister Pit Bull mixes, they are 13 weeks old now. They were kept in a crate 24/7 and fed every few days. The little girl is in pretty good shape despite it all, she's very thin but otherwise in great health. We think that she avoided the skin issues by laying on top of her brother while in the crate.

The little boy has had a very rough time of it though. He has burns/sores on his entire body from laying in his own urine and feces. To top it all off, he's severely allergic to fleas and was covered in them. He's also extremely underweight. The first day we thought we would lose him. He was having seizures every few minutes during a 24 hour period. The cause of the seizures is still unknown, but he hasn't had another since. That first day, he was very unresponsive. The next day he was more aware but seemed to have suffered some possible brain damage from the seizures, could not stand or walk and no way could he eat or drink. He was kept comfortable and on medications. We almost had him put to sleep, because we really didn't think that he would survive. But he showed us that he has a TREMENDOUS desire to live, so we decided that if he wanted to keep fighting we'd keep fighting with him.

Two days after the seizures, he started to walk again. Three days after, he started to eat and drink on his own. Now he is eating, drinking, and playing. He still is wobbly and gets confused sometimes, and the vet says he may always have that as side effects of those seizures. He's here at home now with his sister and doing pretty well considering. He's on several medications, topical sprays and ointments, and oatmeal baths to help his skin heal. It will be a long road to recovery, but he's making progress.

So that's what's been going on in our house lately. Oh, and in other news, we're finally building a house of our own which will give us even more space to be able to rescue/foster more! :)

bubbatd

Just do the best you can ! You have your hands full ! Seisures at that age are unusally . Keep an open mind ---- you may have to let him go . (( Hugs ))

noludoru

Bored Now.
There have been some changes in our house over the past couple of weeks. I've waited to post due to the fact that this is a public forum and the safety of these animals is the most important thing.

We no longer have Ava. :( It was an incredibly difficult decision but we had to re-home her. The owners that she was rescued from lived way too close to us and it just wasn't safe for her to be here anymore. We found her a home much further away and it's an excellent home and she is safe and loved... and very spoiled!
I am so, so sorry Walker. ((((((((HUGS)))))))) I am glad you made that decision for her - it sounds like the right one for her safety. But I'm sorry it's one you had to make and that she couldn't stay with you. :(

We also just recently rescued two more puppies from a very bad situation. They are brother and sister Pit Bull mixes, they are 13 weeks old now. They were kept in a crate 24/7 and fed every few days. The little girl is in pretty good shape despite it all, she's very thin but otherwise in great health. We think that she avoided the skin issues by laying on top of her brother while in the crate.

The little boy has had a very rough time of it though. He has burns/sores on his entire body from laying in his own urine and feces. To top it all off, he's severely allergic to fleas and was covered in them. He's also extremely underweight. The first day we thought we would lose him. He was having seizures every few minutes during a 24 hour period. The cause of the seizures is still unknown, but he hasn't had another since. That first day, he was very unresponsive. The next day he was more aware but seemed to have suffered some possible brain damage from the seizures, could not stand or walk and no way could he eat or drink. He was kept comfortable and on medications. We almost had him put to sleep, because we really didn't think that he would survive. But he showed us that he has a TREMENDOUS desire to live, so we decided that if he wanted to keep fighting we'd keep fighting with him.

Two days after the seizures, he started to walk again. Three days after, he started to eat and drink on his own. Now he is eating, drinking, and playing. He still is wobbly and gets confused sometimes, and the vet says he may always have that as side effects of those seizures. He's here at home now with his sister and doing pretty well considering. He's on several medications, topical sprays and ointments, and oatmeal baths to help his skin heal. It will be a long road to recovery, but he's making progress.

So that's what's been going on in our house lately. Oh, and in other news, we're finally building a house of our own which will give us even more space to be able to rescue/foster more! :)
Oh wow... poor babies! I'm glad they are starting to do better.

You and your husband have such big hearts. You're truly wonderful people.

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
Thank you both so much! Every morning that he's made it through the night is such a huge relief. I do know that there's still a possibility he won't pull through. Luckily, he's had no other seizures after that first day. Hopefully he'll continue to get stronger and healthier!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I had a similar situation where the dog kept jumping her fence and showing up at my door. I understand a thousand percent. Glad you found another home that worked out for the best. Good luck with your pups, that is a heart breaking story. SOunds like they are in good hands now. Congrats on your new house building and good luck! May it be sound and sturdy and full of love.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Thank you both so much! Every morning that he's made it through the night is such a huge relief. I do know that there's still a possibility he won't pull through. Luckily, he's had no other seizures after that first day. Hopefully he'll continue to get stronger and healthier!
I hope so. I lost my foster kitten last week, and to say it's been hard would be an understatement. I'm starting to get really depressed again. I would not wish that on anyone. I'll be thinking about him every day and sending good vibes for him to get better.

Also, when his skin heals up so that it's not raw, a little bit of vitamin e (as long as he or his sister aren't licking) goes a long way.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm sorry about Ava, but it sounds like you made the right decision.

And those poor puppies are so lucky to have you. I hope the little boy recovers completely.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I noticed on your myspace that you didn't have Ava and had two new additions. I didn't want to ask you about it yet though because I figured you'd eventually post about it on Chazhound. I think that what you did for Ava was a noble and completely unselfish act of kindness for her. Also... now you're available to help these two pups in need which is so awesome.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Aw, it's so amazing of you to help those two pups. I have a slight attack of warm fuzzies. :p

I, too, am sorry about Ava, but it sounds like it was best for all involved.

milos_mommy

You guys are so amazing! Glad the little guy pulled through...are you planning on keeping one or both puppies?

I'm sorry about Ava...you are very strong for making the right decision for her.

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
Thank you all so much for your support. It means a lot to me!

Glad the little guy pulled through...are you planning on keeping one or both puppies?
We're not really sure on that, although it's hard to not get attached to them after all they've been through! Juno LOVES her new little "sister". She hasn't gotten to play with the little boy yet, with his skin issues it's just not safe especially since she loves to bite! But if you asked Juno I'm sure she'd be begging us to let her keep "her" puppies. :lol-sign:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
You know, the seizures could be due to the flea allergy. When I got my rescue girl she was also covered in fleas and she had two seizures. She was an adult when I got her and probably more resistant then a young pup.
I obviously rushed her to the vet and he called it a histhamine induced seizure. She has not had another one since.

Congrats on the new additions!

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
You know, the seizures could be due to the flea allergy. When I got my rescue girl she was also covered in fleas and she had two seizures. She was an adult when I got her and probably more resistant then a young pup.
I obviously rushed her to the vet and he called it a histhamine induced seizure. She has not had another one since.

Congrats on the new additions!
I never thought of that, and apparently my vet didn't either, but it makes sense! Thanks for the info, I'm off to read more about that!

Members online

No members online now.