I am loving all these videos! Also I am in love with Quinn, she really reminds me of Lily even though she's a different breed.
Working on training me out of luring and getting my timing more crisp on the click. Also working really hard to be consistent and concise on cue words. I've gotten pretty lazy and sloppy over the past year. I'm reading SG's Shaping Success right now. The BC I grew up with so would have been a handful like her Buzz if he'd been involved in sport, he was nuts... sure miss my Buddy.
- I've gone back to basics. Working on straighter postitioning in her sit and down (well I use sitz and platz, but whatevs), also trying to make sure each cue means what I want it to mean and she's not doing the opposite. Trying to keep from her anticipating too. I know a lot of this is my bad from sloppy training, but trying to change that! Using the clicker consistently is really helping.
- Also doing some work with her attention heel (fuss) using the clicker. I'm getting MUCH better results using the clicker. She's still forging a little bit, but I'm getting very crisp bouncy heeling from her. She is a lot of fun to do this with.
- Working on her front/heir a bit. She tends to back up when I get very close to her, which is frustrating both of us. She also tends to sit very crooked. I know its just because I didn't know as much as I know now when I started training her... I also didn't have a clear plan outlined either. Meh, she's my first dog what can I say!
- Leave it/focus games!
- We had our first semi-private clicker class last Friday. A friend whom I helped find a dog is also taking it with her new BC from the shelter. It was really fun. We did some work with a low box, just getting the dog to get on it and stay there. Lily caught on to that scary fast with shaping and soon we were working on her staying in sitz on it while I moved all around. Then we introduced targeting, that first session was kinda meh. I need to get my own targeting stick so we can work on that between classes.
- Lots of focus/leave it work. This seems to be a big relaxer for her and I'm specifically working on her being spatially comfortable with me. Space and body language are big concerns for my pretty girl because of her baggage.
- working on quicker sitz and trying to shape the platz. The latter has been eternally frustrating and is going slow. I'm basically putting as little pressure on her as possible. On the fourth or was it fifth session of it I was crouched down and she suddenly splatted into a platz. I jackpotted her and then ended the session on that positive note. It hasn't been replicated since, but I have hope now! I'm not giving a command yet, just trying to lure/shape the behavior. I feel like the luring isn't working and would like to get away from it.
- Sort of working on her front position. Oddly she is doing much better at it than Lily is. Haven't given it a cue, just working on getting her comfortable being closer to me, rather than being like 5 feet back from me.
- Working on luring/shaping sit, down, and heel position. He has a very solid sit, wait, and load up. I feel like we are both frustrated with the lured down though and I would like to move away from that. Ideas/advice?
Kudos to whomever reads through all this, sorry for the novel!