Charlie got hurt........

Julie

I am back again.
Well this past Thursday eve, we went to our summer camp. Everything was great until Friday afternoon. Charlie took another run thru the creek and this one spot of icky mud, well he just started bellowing. I called for him and he came running right thru the mud hole again and to me.

He was limping on his front left leg. I picked up his foot and he had about a six inch slash all the way from the little pad up high on his leg all the way down thru the biggest pad on his foot.

It actually sliced thru both pads too.
It bled soooooo badly.

We wrapped it up tightly and I sped off to the vets. They took me right in and had to put him under anesthesea (sp) and clean his wound out it was very dirty. Then stitch him up and put in a drain tube.
He had to stay for two nights and 3 days. I just got to pick him up on Sunday late afternoon.

I had to take him back today for bandage change and to check the drain tube. I have to take him back on Weds. for drain tube removal and bandage change and then bandage change again on Friday.

That hardheaded dog is not even limping, he is walking on it and wants to run play, but I have to keep him quiet, so he doesn't rip any stitches.

He got twenty stitches up that leg. Poor Baby........
And I really missed him when I went back to our camp. It is just not the same, when one of the dogs isn't at camp with us.

They had put a new bandage on yesterday and by the time we got down there today for another bandage change, the bandage was filthy and worn. So this time I put one of the kids socks over the bandage to keep it from wearing until Weds, when he gets another new one.

Wish us luck, I hope Charlie doesn't clomp and rip stitches.
Oh yea, he is supposed to wear one of those cone head things. He keeps bumping on things and walking it into doorways etc. Since I put the sock over the bandages.....I took the cone off. He hasn't bothered it yet today. I guess he will have to wear the cone collar at night again though. Don't want him to chew thru..........

Julie.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yikes! What cut him, do you know? I'd be afraid someone/something else would hurt too.

I hope he continues to heal quickly!

Julie

I am back again.
Zoom said:
Yikes! What cut him, do you know? I'd be afraid someone/something else would hurt too.

I hope he continues to heal quickly!
Yea, me too. At the edge of the creek there is a steep bank then mud about a foot deep were the water is down, because of summer. Nobody else walks that way.......only the dogs. we have a nice rock beach level etc. Where we get to the water. My hubby and I looked in the mud and in the water for something. We couldn't find anything. :(
He said he might put up a fence to deter the dogs from going over the bank.

This is the first time anything like this has happened at our camp......and I hope it doesn't happen again. I really wished I would have found something, but it is really hard to find something in that mud. Whatever it was it would have to be very sharp, to cut that long and evenly. It was just layed right open.

We are going down again soon.....I am going to take the boat over there and fish around with a stick at the edge of the mud.

Amstaffer

When I first read that I thought....Awh poor Charlie then I thought about it and I thought....Wow Charlie was really lucky; why? Because he had loving parents to rushed him to the Vet! There are a lot of terrible dog owners who just hosed him off and hoped for the "best". Poor Charlie in the short run but Lucky Charlie in the long run! :)

I hope he heals up fast!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
OMG Julie!!

hes lucky he didn't slice an artery in his leg!!! :O!!

Poor boy! lol thos Labs go though anything without a second thought eh lol

When we were babysitting a friends Yellow Lab, she sliced her pad open on some the crib of our dock (half was torn off by this time).
Poor girl.. it was the first day she was there too. She didn't get any stiches from it but they had to glue the pad together!

Poor Charlie!:( I hope he heals quickly and is back to being able to play real soon! I have a feeling though that he is going to really be enjoying some spoiling during his recuperation!:)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat so seriously sucks. I am sorry! Been there a couple times so i have great empathy too. AT this point there is no fresh water lake i will let my dogs get in anymore other then the off leash park. EVen there Bronki sliced both pads on his front feet and had to be carried in and out for about a week. I hope the stitches are left alone, once is bad enough! Twice is worse and my lab went for the almighty third time before we finally had to give up and let it heal on it's own.:rolleyes: :(

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Awww..... yes, give him lots of treats! :)
I hope he feels better soon! Poor Charlie!

Gig 'Em Ags

JP Cattle Co.
Here's wishing a speedy recovery Charlie from one and all (critters too) at the JP Cattle Company!!! It's fortunate he didn't sever any nerves!!!

Members online

No members online now.