what do you think of this?

Somebody suggested this to me and it seems to be working....Brownie has a naughty leash...whenever she is missbehaving or causing a rukus...i give her a warning(im going to get your naughty leash and i point to it) if she still does not correct her behavior i put on her naughty leash and she knows to go lay down in her bed(took only about 2 weeks for her to grasp the concept)....been using the naughty leash for about 4 months and she seems to be taking to it well...just wanted your input on this....thanks

she definatley knows the differnce between her naughty leash and her lets go for a fun walk leash...and i take of the naughty leash after 15 mins but she usually says in her bed and naps but if she does get up we try and have playtime

I guess she knows what it looks like....I can say naughty leash and most times looks at the closet door(it hangs inside)But i can say walk and she goes gets her walking leash(most times lol)they look completly different her naughty leash is just a plain ole red nylon leash and her "fun" leash is a black retractable one...It seems to be working tho because she likes to get stuff when we are gone, but this last 2 weeks shes been doing alot better(If shes naughty when we get home,she gets on her naughty leash for her 15 mins before we pay any attention to her)Dont really know if that answered the question tho..lol...was a hard question to answer...Do you think the naughty leash is a good or bad idea creature teacher?

gapeach

Big Mutts
My mama puts Angel, her GSD on a leash when she's being naughty too. She wasn't socialized well when she was a puppy, so she doesn't like anyone that she doesn't see all the time. But my mom puts her on the leash and she turns into a different dog. The bad behavior she was doing is instantly gone. I think it sounds like a great idea and apparently it's working for ya'll.

No worries, I should've been more clear in my question. :) What I meant was, how did you teach her that the "naughty leash" was something she wanted to avoid? The leash by itself starts off as a meaningless signal. How did you associate it with something unpleasant? Did you scold her when you put it on, or attach it and leave the room...?

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Eh. That sounds ridicoulos. That like at training. My puppy Buster was trying to attack the other pups. The instructor told us to leave the training arena when he did, wait for 5 minutes and walk him back in like time out. Dogs dont understand that concept. We said no, because we knew he would just go back in and start attacking the other dogs again. Your dog is trained to go to its bed when you tell it too, it doesnt know that its punishment.

At first I just put on the leash and told her to go lay down in her bed,didnt pay attention to her till I took it off, and eventually I think she realted the leash with no attention, and she loves her attention lol...So just ignoring her made her relize that the naughty leash is the naughty leash...All in all I think its working, dont have to use it as frequent as before...And I do believe that she knows she is being punished(not by going to bed but by the lack of attention)

gapeach

Big Mutts
BagelDog, it's not the bed that's the punishment, it's the lack of attention.

BagelDog said:
Eh. That sounds ridicoulos. That like at training. My puppy Buster was trying to attack the other pups. The instructor told us to leave the training arena when he did, wait for 5 minutes and walk him back in like time out. Dogs dont understand that concept. We said no, because we knew he would just go back in and start attacking the other dogs again. Your dog is trained to go to its bed when you tell it too, it doesnt know that its punishment.
I think maybe you should've listened to your trainer. After all, you were paying her to teach your dog.

BagelDog said:
Dogs dont understand that concept.
Hogwash. Just because you don't think they understand it doesn't mean they don't. I use this technique and variations frequently with fantastic results. You really should do some research instead of dismissing valuable training techniques and behavioral concepts out-of-hand.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Listened to my trainer? Buster would have gone out, think it was fun to be looking at the store, gone back in and tried to bite the other dogs all over again. We bought a muzzle to use, and its working as it should.

And, again, dogs dont understand that. Her dog understands that shes ignoring it, but dogs cant tie what you ignoring it for and your ignoring it together. Dogs are smart, yes, but there minds dont work like that. And, I dont just think they dont understand it, I know. There are little things called experiments and science. There happen to be people who test theories, and find out things like that, and thats exactally where I get that from. I like to use training techniques that actually work on the dogs behavior, instead of just teaching it tricks.

oriondw

user not active
BagelDog said:
Listened to my trainer? Buster would have gone out, think it was fun to be looking at the store, gone back in and tried to bite the other dogs all over again. We bought a muzzle to use, and its working as it should.

And, again, dogs dont understand that. Her dog understands that shes ignoring it, but dogs cant tie what you ignoring it for and your ignoring it together. Dogs are smart, yes, but there minds dont work like that. And, I dont just think they dont understand it, I know. There are little things called experiments and science. There happen to be people who test theories, and find out things like that, and thats exactally where I get that from. I like to use training techniques that actually work on the dogs behavior, instead of just teaching it tricks.

You are clueless.

Saje

Island dweller
I think the naughty leash is interesting. And if it works why not?

Bagel Dog. I think that trainer really could have helped you. You might want to give him/her another chance.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
No, she really could have. Dogs arnt smart enought to where if I took him out of the training ring, he would think 'Oh, time out? I need to stop biting those other dogs.' We muzzle him, or give him a no, and a pop on the snout. That works just fine. Dogs are only the 10th smartest animal on the planet, 11th if you count humans. Horses would'nt understand that concept, and there the 7th smartest, not counting humans.

oriondw

user not active
BagelDog said:
No, she really could have. Dogs arnt smart enought to where if I took him out of the training ring, he would think 'Oh, time out? I need to stop biting those other dogs.' We muzzle him, or give him a no, and a pop on the snout. That works just fine. Dogs are only the 10th smartest animal on the planet, 11th if you count humans. Horses would'nt understand that concept, and there the 7th smartest, not counting humans.
I'm not sure wether to laugh or to cry at this stupidity.

You're a terrible dog owner, there I said it.

Members online

No members online now.