E collar i want to buy? is this ok

C

Captbob

The reason I asked you Cbob what age your dog was when he became reliable with the recall is that I was hoping you didn't put an e-collar on a very young puppy. I am wondering why my question wasn't answered. What age your dog was when he had such a stupendous recall? Just curious.

My dog was almost 3 when I placed an E Collar on her. She was adopted, and the only issue that I had was recall at the dog park. I am not crazy about dog parks either and am very particular about what dog's are in the park when my dog and I are there. If I don't know a dog that is about to enter, we immediately leave, until I can determine the dog's behavior. That is the reason for the recall , when I call her, I want her to come " now" so I can leash her up and we can hit the exit gate. The E collar accomplished that in about 2 hours total. I have friends that have used the E Collar for other things, but recall is the only thing that really was necessary for me , since my dog is pretty well trained. In the process of investigating this, I have seen friends's dog's learn in 1/10th the time that would be required using older methods such as clickers, buckets of treats etc,. One lady I know has a Chocalte Lab that has class after class after class with 3 different "expert trainers" and still couldn't heel properly. Two lessons with a excellent E Collar Trainer, and the dog was doing a show heel right beside her.

Oh, but all the experts here, are telling me that it doesn't work, the dog's head will explode in flames, the dog will have a nervous breakdown or bite the owner, all these ridiculous and unfounded claims that have nothing at all to do with reality. I guess people have to hang onto what they are comfortable with......:popcorn:

First of all , you don't have to yell. I hope you don't do that with your dogs...... Seems like you have a rather short fuse to be a dog trainer... ;)
How's this?:rolleyes:

I enjoy being insulted as much as the next person. Don't insult me and I won't need to shout. If you want to play games with people and you're only here to start fights...feel free to pack up your marbles and find another place to play.

As for my short fuse....only with foolish humans, I love what I do and am know for treating both dogs and their owners with kindness and respect....not sure that you'd recognize that.

Having 10 shock related cases, is not very surprising, because many people will not go to a trainer experienced in E Collars and will try and do it on their own.
All but a few were post "professional" appointments. You want to argue black is white....nothing I can do about that.

I trained my first dog in 1953.. I guess you must older than me.......

Nope, you got me beat. You just seem much less mature in your posts.

I am friends with 4 excellent trainers that live in a major US city and have hundreds of clients including military and police and government. Do you know more than they do, who knows? Maybe yes, maybe no. They all think that E Collars are a usefull training tool, and utilize them on a regular basis. Together they probably have over 70 years of experience in training thousands and thousands of dogs.

Notice that I didn't have to yell.......:p
Oh I see, you have friends that are trainers.....I fold then:rolleyes:

Don't you find it the least bit strange that not one of the leading educators/professionals in the industry today uses an e-collar as a tool for training? And btw, I am including law enforcement k9 training (trainers). You seem to have all of these "facts" but have not answered one question asked of you.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
In the process of investigating this, I have seen friends's dog's learn in 1/10th the time that would be required using older methods such as clickers, buckets of treats etc,.
So you would rather put your dog through a shock then taking the time to bond and earn your dog's respect through training with these "positive" methods? :rolleyes:

C

Captbob

It appalls me that someone would take the "quick fix" and just decide to shock your dog instead of putting in all the time to train a reliable recall.
And if all a shock collar is is a "tap" or the dog barely feels it, it simply wouldn't get the dog's attention. If someone was shocking me I sure wouldn't want to come to them. My recall with my dogs is based on consistency and my relationship with them.

It's funny you get to learn a bit more about Dr2Little's experience and have such little defense that you have to point out her "yelling" and choose to ignore her training achievements and abundant knowlege on the subject.
She yelled in her post, and that surprised me, because I wouldn't want anyone training my dog that got so angry in a discussion. I know other trainers, that may have more experience than her in the topic we are discussing, so I don't get your point.

Again, you are saying the same thing that other people that are inexperienced with an E Collar are saying on this thread . "If it is just a tap, and not a shock, how does it work.? That is why you get an instructor that knows how to train using the E Collar, and take a couple of lessons....... To learn how it works. Until then you are just guessing about how you think it works, but really have no idea if you are right or not.

C

Captbob

So you would rather put your dog through a shock then taking the time to bond and earn your dog's respect through training with these "positive" methods? :rolleyes:
The shock is a tingle... Let me say it again, the shock feels like a tingle. If you go to a hospital and have an operation and they want you to exercise a muscle or set of muscles after the operation , they attach some electrodes to the muscle and an electrical stimulation makes the muscles twitch. Flames don't come off the top of your head, your hospital bed doesn't melt into the floor, you don't go into cardiac arrest, you don't have a seizure and die, etc.. etc... Your muscle(s) twitch. No pain involved at all..... I showed an 8 year old son of a friend, last week how it felt, and he laughed and said it "tickles"..... Have I got the point across, or is it still not clear enough......:rolleyes:

Here is a device that uses a similar stim as an E Collar...

http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/ems4000.htm

My dog was almost 3 when I placed an E Collar on her. She was adopted, and the only issue that I had was recall at the dog park. I am not crazy about dog parks either and am very particular about what dog's are in the park when my dog and I are there. If I don't know a dog that is about to enter, we immediately leave, until I can determine the dog's behavior. That is the reason for the recall , when I call her, I want her to come " now" so I can leash her up and we can hit the exit gate. The E collar accomplished that in about 2 hours total. I have friends that have used the E Collar for other things, but recall is the only thing that really was necessary for me , since my dog is pretty well trained. In the process of investigating this, I have seen friends's dog's learn in 1/10th the time that would be required using older methods such as clickers, buckets of treats etc,. One lady I know has a Chocalte Lab that has class after class after class with 3 different "expert trainers" and still couldn't heel properly. Two lessons with a excellent E Collar Trainer, and the dog was doing a show heel right beside her.

Oh, but all the experts here, are telling me that it doesn't work, the dog's head will explode in flames, the dog will have a nervous breakdown or bite the owner, all these ridiculous and unfounded claims that have nothing at all to do with reality. I guess people have to hang onto what they are comfortable with......:popcorn:
The first RED FLAG, is very telling. No wonder you had trouble with your recall.

The second in blue - Excellent e-collar trainer - should be the definition for OXYMORON!

And last, you my friend are the one with the crutch....just so happens your dog's the one wearing it.:( :popcorn:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
A Captbob quote from the above link:

What you are setting is the level that gets your dog's attention. It would be the same as tapping someone on the shoulder at a party. They may or may not notice, because they are engaged in a conversation with someone else ( distraction) , so you tap again , still they don't notice, then you tap slightly more forcefull. That is the way the collar works. You don't tap them once, and if they don't notice, then proceed to hit them over the head with a baseball bat ( cause pain). This is not a hard concept to get, if you just think about it for a minute.
Just the kind of guy I wouldn't want within a hundred yards of my dog.

otch1

Hi guys! I want to add my 2 cents worth. Captbob, you'll be hard pressed to find trainers or owners, on this forum, who advocate the use of e-collars for basic, advanced or competition obedience training. I understand that you feel you have a successful recall due to your collar. I understand that collars have changed over the years. So I don't step on toes... are you a trainer and do you train for a living? If you are, I won't go any further. If you're not a trainer, at what age did you start training your dog on an e-collar, for how long and when did you discontinue use? Relevant questions when debating this. I'm hoping you'll do a little more research and some reading up on some of the referances made in this thread. I am a trainer for a living. I specialize in behavioral modification of aggressive dogs, I also compete. I own a small commercially licensed board and train kennel and teach privates. I used to teach group classes for several organizations and managed a very large training program along with several nationally recognized trainers. (Where I met and got to know Steve White, when he was still with the police dept.) He'd be a good one for you to read up on. There's a very good reason a trainer like Steve went from traditional methods used by his K-9 unit, to national recognition now using different methods. I did use an e-collar in certain situations, many years ago. I'd just like to suggest that you please consider doing a little more research. We never stop learning, dog training and methods used are progressing rapidly. Don't be so quick to dismiss all avenues of learning. Being a veterinary assistant was how I started out. My vets happened to be a wealth of information on behavioral study and diagnosing different types of aggression, addressing prey drive, ect. I've stuck with this forum because there are many wonderful proffessionals in the canine industry here, as well as loving, well read pet owners dedicated to learning. I believe dog owner/handlers are passionate about discouraging the use of e-collars because many are having success with other methods. When that's the case, why take a short cut that often compremises the integrity of a command and dog/owner relationship. Not all e-collar trained dogs are success stories, even when applied by a knowlegeable trainer.

otch1

Wow, I was so slow in typing that I missed 5 to 10 posts easily! I believe some of my questions were answered in that time frame. If not, hope you'll consider replying, captbob.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I think its rather pathetic, that someone made a thread about needing help with something and everyone turned it into something else :rolleyes:

Just pathetic....

Doberluv

What do you see Jess, that it is something else? You mean not about e-collars? I thought it has been informative.....e-collars, reasons for, reasons against. There have been book recommendations, links, examples of who uses positive reinforcement methods vs. e-collars. I should think there is quite a bit here to learn from. And what is great is that Hedwig is so willing to ask questions, read and learn. She's doing what every dog owner should do....research. And that is commendable. She'll get there with her dog. Posts with some emotion behind them, as long as they don't get way out of hand, are good for learning too. They demonstrate that people have strong opinions. That's all part of the information to take in.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
yeah it was informational until about page 6, and then from there it just turned pathetic.....but it doesnt matter, I'm done....

Members online

No members online now.