Family Field Training Day (Squick Warning -- Dead Ducks)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The epic roadtrip with Princess Cheeseface continues. We hit the field on Sunday for group field training, and Mira was great. Just great. I'm so proud of her. She's had minimal real field work, but it's amazing what very strong instincts and a solid obedience foundation can do. Looking forward to running her in tests.

The other thing that made the day great (in addition to perfect weather, great people, paradisal training grounds, and my soul dog at my side) was that virtually all the dogs were Mira's close relatives. Loved having a family reunion with all the dogs working and loving it!

So now to the pictures -- your real reason for clicking this thread... ;)

A bunch of black dogs in motion in harsh sunlight...and I was using a lens I've never used before. So be forgiving!

First up -- the two Baby Boys. These are Mira's half-brothers, from her mum's second litter. Born 2011.

(more)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

Mira's littermate sister

Totally undaunted by the blinding reed grass growing out of the water

Mira's littermate's older "sister" -- their 14 year old rescue mixed breed -- watching the proceedings with benevolent ambivalence :)

(more)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira's cousin, 5yr old male.

Gee, does this look familiar?

Because being totally blinded by a bird is no reason to slow down AT ALL

See, he says, I found you back JUST FINE

I can totally kinda see a little bit out of this eye.

Skidding to a stop for another delivery.

(more)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Mira's dad

Another dog with bird blinders lol

"Hi! Do you see my bird!?"

Also there were about a million Leopard Frogs out in the fields. This one landed on my shoe before leaping back into the grass.

(one more set...back to dogs not frogs)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Last but not least -- Mira herself. (These photos were not shot by me, of course. Mostly taken at the line.)

Delivery

w/ Dokken to change it up

Back to ducks... 'nother delivery

The End :)

Last edited:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Am I losing it, or is Mira's dad brown? LOL I think the "field full of black dogs" threw me off :p
Okay a field mostly full of black dogs lol. Yes! Mira's dad (and about half of her littermates) is brown (genetically, bb), which is called "Liver" in Flatcoats, Dalmatians, relevant Spaniels, etc., "Chocolate" in Labs, "Red" in Dobes, U.S. Border Collies, Aussies, etc.

Last edited:

Lyzelle

LOVE Flatcoats. I think they are so gorgeous. And the pictures are lovely. :D

I never understood why it was "chocolate" in Labs, but "liver" in flatties and curlies
Meh, same with other variances in names for colors in other breeds. They all have their own version. It's nice to see someone who knows the real genetics behind it, though. It's called "Red" in Sibes.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Just commenting on the silliness of it being liver in nearly every other retrieving breed but Labs are special and get to be called chocolate. :p

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Just commenting on the silliness of it being liver in nearly every other retrieving breed but Labs are special and get to be called chocolate. :p
Caramel Mocha Frappe Latte is what it should be, in fact they should just start coming up with more delicious sounding names for colors.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Caramel Mocha Frappe Latte is what it should be, in fact they should just start coming up with more delicious sounding names for colors.
I'm totally down with that.

Merle (blue anyway) should be called Blueberry swirl merle now ('Cause it rhymes and all)

JacksonsMom

Gorgeous pups!

I was also thrown off by the liver color. I just googled before I read your post and was surprised to see the color - I love it!

Members online

No members online now.