How do you adopt a dog you've never met?

Brattina88

I've been thinking about this one for a while, it's hard for me to understand...

One of my closest friends has asked me to help her look for a dog. Her requirements are she wants a little dog, good with other dogs, cats and kids (in case she has any in the future), active, fairly easy to train, and a little cuddly.
Anyway, we've been looking on CL and PF together when she comes over, I look within driving distance because I'd like to meet the dog in person before deciding. She's willing to adopt from farther away if we could set up a transport. So here's my question (I know some in here has done it) how do you adopt a dog you've never meet? I mean, doesn't it make you nervous about their behavior or if your personalities will clash? :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I guess you trust your gut. I decided the second I saw Victor's pic on petfinder. It was a good thing I had already made up my mind because when I first met him, and for about the first 6 weeks I thought i had possibly lost my mind because he was so a.d.h.d and scared to death of everything.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I have to say that when I saw Wilson's picture, I had an immediate reaction to him---and kept coming back to the picture to look at him. I knew I had to do something for the guy--and knew there was probably going to be something that would be an issue--but was willing to take the chance on him. I also took him in thinking that if he didn't work in this set up, that I would foster him and find him a good home.

He did come with his issues--but not the ones I was thinking--lol. I was prepared for some health things (worried about heartworm most of all)--ended up with some behavior issues (DA with dogs outside of our home, and can be HA to strangers).
But Wilson came from a kill shelter--no health testing, he was not neutered, etc. heck, I think Beth paid $25 to spring him from the pound! I got lucky with Wilson in that he did great with my dogs, and with our family--so the rest is workable! And I do not regret following my heart on that one. My heart has been pulled at other times--but I did not/do not have the same NEED to do something about those dogs--so I guess Wilson was just meant to be mine. :)

For your friend, I would think listings on petfinder where the dog is actually health tested, (vaccs, etc) and temperament tested, then it's not so hard to imagine doing if she does not have another dog to worry about their interactions.

Doberluv

I'd be inclined to keep my search within my geographical area. There are plenty of needy dogs in any given area. Why not make it easier on one's self as far as going to meet the dogs, spending a little time with them, and eliminating the need to set up complicated transports that often don't come together in a timely manner?

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I knew the SECOND I saw Ella's picture that she was going to be MY dog.
I knew it.

It was definitely love at first sight when I saw Ella's pic on the shelter website.

I would have crossed oceans for her.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
The instant I came across Banzai's photo on petfinder I knew he would be ours. You can tell a lot about an animal via their eyes. :) When we finally met him, there was still no doubt.

Lolas Dad

Perhaps she should narrow the choices down to a few breeds. Terriers can be diggers and other breeds have different needs and personality's. She should look into how much exercise the dog needs and see if she can meet their requirements for exercise and other activities. Then when she narrows down the breeds do some research on the breeds and see if that breed fits her lifestyle. Some dogs require little to no grooming while others require a lot so that is something to consider also.

The link listed is a breed selector. It is based on your answers and then suggests different breeds and how well they fit from a high percentage to a match to the lowest.

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector

Maura

I agree that she should research breeds and begin with that limitation. Once she does that she can contact breed rescue. A good rescue will work with you to fit you with a dog. I foster Boston terriers and even though the ones I've fostered all have had stable temperaments, some have more of a terrier personality and others have more of a bulldog personality. They are all vaccinated and neutered before placement and in good health, so that is a worry your friend wouldn't have.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We also looked at shelter websites and picked out the dog we wanted or at least the dog we wanted to see

but I still had to meet them first.

Belle looked SO different from her petfinder photo lol. I wish I still had it for comparison. she was adorable on the website but when we saw her in person she was such a beauty. but we had Teddy and HAD to make sure they would at least somewhat get along so we had them meet.

Same with Beezer. we saw his photo and wanted to go see him. but seriously we almost didn't get him because he was INSANE. he was so out of control until we took him for a walk outside of the shelter. Once Brian had his leash in his hand he became a different dog and that's when we knew he was ours

now with a small child in the house there is no WAY I could bring a dog in that I had never met

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Find the dog. Ideally it's being fostered in someone's personal home, but oftentimes shelter operators at least understand the basic knowledge relative to said dog anyway. Naturally make sure the information listed about said dog lines up with your preferences(dog friendly, no issues, etc). If there is no information, or even if there is, speak closely with the shelter operator and those working with the dog. It really helps me when I know someone is there to talk about the dog's temperament, any hangs ups, etc.

Realistically, if you adopt a dog from a shelter that you've only acquainted yourself with over the span of a day, there's a great chance that dog could have underlying issues, or issues in the future regardless, as first impressions seem to go. This is true even if you've met the dog over the course of a week - if you're adopting from a shelter without much info, there is no telling exactly how the dog will act in your home once it arrives. There are a lot of different factors, and with any dog, unless you luck out and adopt someone super easy, there is probably going to be a little work. Of course it's incredibly helpful to meet the dog in person first, but when it comes down to it, it's possible that it isn't absolutely necessary.
If you're adopting from afar, I would say the easiest thing to do would be to find someone who is fostering a dog you think you could really match up with, and have some extensive conversations with them - online is good, but over the phone is great- that way you can get a feel for their personality, too, and how they might be interacting with dog.

I'd be inclined to keep my search within my geographical area. There are plenty of needy dogs in any given area. Why not make it easier on one's self as far as going to meet the dogs, spending a little time with them, and eliminating the need to set up complicated transports that often don't come together in a timely manner?
Dober has a stellar point here, too :) It is much more convenient and less worrisome to find a great dog in your area - there are soo many homeless animals.

However, I'm looking at dogs all over the place, as this is my second dog likely for the next ten years or so, without any other critters, I'm allowing myself to be ultra picky and select those that really stand out to me so as long as they meet behavior criteria first. It is definitely great and can be important to look close to home, too. I've been scanning my Craiglist and local petfinder's, but sometimes you just don't find dogs in your area that spark your interests. I could understand someone selecting their first dog being so excited that any dog with the right qualities will do(which is wonderful, and generally what happened to me six years ago), but I'm choosing to be a little restrictive this time around.

Good luck!

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Yes, I wouldn't hold myself to meeting the dog, but I would want a dog that was fostered. That way you could have the foster do alot of the situational testing for you. I mean, I know for me, that it sounds like Journey would fit your bill. Just an example, she might not like hairless dogs.

Brattina88

I guess I don't know how some just "know". The gut feeling, I guess mine doesn't work over the Internet :rofl1: BUT maybe that's because I just haven't found one like that, yet. ;)

perhaps my friend hasn't either. I am going to encourage her to narrow down the breeds, because there is Such a variety. We went to the Medina Co shelter yesterday and saw two Shnauzers (sp?) that she was interested in, but they're a little bit bigger than what she's looking for. I encouraged her to research the breed and grooming and all that, they're not avaliable for adoption until after tomorrow anyway.

Sparks, I think that brings up a good point. A dog could look totally different in person than a picture... And at the same time, my version of active could be different than someone elses...

:) thanks for all the input! I like hearing stories of how some of you just "knew" :D
PS if I didn't have a full house, I'd be tempted to apply for little Journey :eek:

Members online