Puggle, yes, I said Puggle

axypuppy

Maybe I'm alittle bit late or slow on the draw but I just heard about this new breed of dog called the Puggle. A cross between a Pug and a Beagle. No I'm not making this up-- check it out http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051214/20051214005365.html?.v=1 it has even been entered into the t9 dictionary thing (that predictive text function, yeah you know the one t9.com- I think that was the original point of the article but I have a selective reading function in my brain that went right to the dog reference) A stately looking breed, I wonder about their temperament- frisky, feisty, does anybody know?

PFC1

I have seen a bunch of these at the dog park. They are pretty active, but I frankly think that they are very unattractive. Just my taste. Of course, there are more important characteristics in choosing a dog than appearance.

Saje

Island dweller
Not a dog breed. Just a trendy mutt. Don't buy into them. If you want a mutt go to a shelter.

rosebud*

But a lot does come down to what you like. Not to offend any one, but I personally don't like the look of a pug, I know they are great dogs but I don't think they are really cute. But that goes for a few breeds. Not that I am going to solely pick a dog based on looks, but it is a somewhat deciding factor.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
Yes, I'v heard of this new breed! I don't know if they are mean or whatever. I know Pugs and Beagles are both usually good natured dogs,good with kids,good with other animals. Beagles are not easy trainers at all though. That's what a trainer told us at petsmart. Beagles will try to hunt and get loose alot though. Other than that. I would think a puggle would be a good dog! I don't know where you can get them. I would search online where you can buy them. Don't know how much they cost either. We almost got a beagle puppy last year before we got Honey and then we kept hearing that they are not easy trainers and they try to get loose all the time so we decided not to get him.
Good luck!
Mandy

B

brock23

A few years ago before they were $1200.00 per dog I remember when a neighbor of mine had one. Of course then it was free and we just said "hey that's a pretty interesting looking MUTT"

Puggles are pretty good natured dogs, but they are hard to train....but they do have a lot of energy. Although they are not a breed, they are cute and a good friend and that to me is what a dog is about, I don't care if it is an over-glorified mutt...as long as it offers the companionship, that's what it's about.

Saje

Island dweller
It's not that they aren't good dogs KC. I'm sure they are. I don't think I've ever met a dog I didn't like. The thing is by breeding those dogs people are contributing to the over populated pet population. For each of the dogs that are put to sleep every day or living in bad homes that means a lot.

mojozen

bullie lover
Besides looking at the temperment or looks... I'd carefully research every health problem each dog breed (if they are known) can experience. I know in Pugs they can have breathing problems due to their flat faces. Beagles are known to develop a certain kind of cancer. Generally mutts are considered healthier (i guess) but I think with all those different ailments that each breed can have you ahve to be aware of everything..

Just my opinion however.

Edited to add:

Beagle Health Problems Overview

Pug Health Problems Overview

True, but it just upsets me to see all these posts about how "bad" some of these breeds are and what-not, the thing is, these "breeds" are here, and instead of just being negative about them, it's a matter of accepting them and trying to do the best thing...for them, and even without the "new breeds" the same problems will take place....

Saje

Island dweller
I don't think people should sit by and accept things that are destructive and the idea of breeding 'puggles' is destructive. People need to stand up and try to make a difference. Especially for dogs that can't defend themselves. Education is the best way to do that and spreading the word is never a bad idea.

mojozen

bullie lover
My View on Designer Breeds like Puggles.

KarmaChief said:
True, but it just upsets me to see all these posts about how "bad" some of these breeds are and what-not, the thing is, these "breeds" are here, and instead of just being negative about them, it's a matter of accepting them and trying to do the best thing...for them, and even without the "new breeds" the same problems will take place....
I think so many people misunderstand people who are trying to educate about these "breeds" vs recognized breeds. Recognized breeds are bred to each other and they breed true. These "new breeds" that are mostly churned out by back yard breeders/puppy mills are not bred to each other to breed true. They just breed a pug to a beagle over and over.

For example: You breed a beagle with a beagle you get a beagle that looks a lot like it's parents. You breed a Pug with a Pug you get a Pug that looks a lot like it's parents.

Beagle:

Pug:

They all pretty much look similar to that. A beagle looks like a beagle because its' from two beagle parents. A pug looks like a pug because it's from two pug parents.

Puggle #1:

Puggle #2:

Puggles have a lot fo variation however... because they are from not two puggle parents, but from a beagle parent and a pug parent. Thus so they do not breed true because you aren't breeding two puggles to each other, then they are not technically or even figuratively a breed they are a cross-breed, a mix-breed. They are not a designer breed (there's really no such thing) or a "hybrid" they are simply a mutt, a mongrel or a cur.

There are enough cross-breeds, mutts, and mixes in the world. The majority of them are dying.... daily. People who bring more mutts into the world when there are so many, just to fill a fad of cute "designer breed" names? Meh... That's what people have problems with... NOT the dogs themselves... but teh people who do this knowingly.

Or at least that's how i feel about things.

Puggles are cute feisty and I've seen some nice temperments on some of them... But... I can't agree with the practices of some people selling puggles for $500 or more... when you can get another kind of puggle at a shelter for less than $200 that already comes spayed, vetted, and temperment tested.

I have a mix breed - mutt - my designer name for him is "Mongolian Poochie Dog" he is a supposed Dachshund - Pit Bull mix. Personally I'm proud to own my mutt... I got him for $45, fully vetted and neutered. And i have no problem calling him what he is... a mutt... or a mongolian poochie dog... or just plain Mojo.

Last edited:

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
KarmaChief said:
Its not the "breeds" I have a problem with. Its the people breeding these mix breeds purposely and then selling them for large somes of money. When you can go and adopt the same mix at a shelter. I just don't see why we need "new breeds" at all.

axypuppy

I never really thought about the health problems that could exist when the two breeds of dog are mixed nor did I really consider the slight inhumanness of creating a 'new breed' ---thanks, you all have given me a lot to think about.

times2

Showpug, do you have a problem with the dog 'puggle' itself?

Don't you 'puggle' haters ever get tired of this? Face it, there will be new breeds and there is nothing your going to do about it. There here and there not going anywhere. They need and deserve a loving home as much as the next dog, whether it been around for thousands of years or not.

How many of you are writing your congressman or trying to do something about the overpopulation of dogs? Perhaps your time would be better spent trying to do something about it, instead of repeating yourselfs over and over again on a message board.

Saje

Island dweller
times2 said:
Showpug, do you have a problem with the dog 'puggle' itself?

Don't you 'puggle' haters ever get tired of this? Face it, there will be new breeds and there is nothing your going to do about it. There here and there not going anywhere. They need and deserve a loving home as much as the next dog, whether it been around for thousands of years or not.

How many of you are writing your congressman or trying to do something about the overpopulation of dogs? Perhaps your time would be better spent trying to do something about it, instead of repeating yourselfs over and over again on a message board.
There or they're?

I don't have a congressman. Remember this IS the world-wide web.

I don't get tired of it. I love dogs too much.

Have you ever volunteered at a shelter?

Saje

Island dweller
BTW it's not puggles 'we' hate. It's bad breeders and anyone that breeds mutts is a bad breeder. They aren't considering genetics, the breed or the welfare of dogs in general. And for me, I think hate is an appropriate word. I've seen a lot of good dogs die because of over population and poor owners.

Members online

No members online now.