Allergy Formula- help!

showpug

Thanks showpug..I was so busy making sure that it was free of all obvious allergens that I totally missed the medadione. Now I don't know WHAT to feed her. Tonight she just got a bit of white rice and about a TBSP or so of the new food.....with the dreaded menadione in it..CRAP!!:mad:
Do you have access to Eagle Pack?

They have a nice allergy fish formula : http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Fish.html

or Nature's Variety? http://www.naturesvariety.com/conte...n=naturesvariety:43BD14E203333009E0hOi2BCFAF1

or Pinnacle? http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/pinnacle_dog_trout.htm

or California Natural? http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=//product[@id='1326']

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My Rylie has food allergies... we now rotate through the Timberwolf formulas, and she is doing great on them. The protein levels are pretty good on most of their formulas (except for the Black Forest one, where I think it is 22%).

I also like all of the foods that Showpug listed :D

Yes, we tried the Eagle Pack when we first had problems with the NB (duck and potato) but it still had chicken egg in it and she itched like mad. I'm going to look into the rest that you posted, I really appreciate it!

I'm going to our Tail Blazers store today. The only carry the best foods and have very nutrition savvy staff. This experience has been a real eye opener.

Thanks again showpug.:)

Thanks Nicole. I'm still researching other brands and found that many of the fish formulas also have chicken/egg or that medadione (even the Timberwolf blue ocean...I think that's what their fish formula is called).

For now I'm keeping her on the Acana and I'm seriously considering raw. The Tail Blazers store that I went to today has a fish based raw with fantastic ingredients.....I just hate the thought of feeding raw to a dog with a big beard. I'll just have to give her a good was after.

Sophie's poops are almost normal today for the first time in over 2 weeks. I never thought I'd be so excited to pick up a normal poop....WOOOOHOOOO!!:D

I'm getting the results of her final blood work tomorrow and I am certainly going to follow up with NB....I'm really PO'd that she had to go through this because of the NB food I was feeding her.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I would be, too, Doc.

Thanks for pointing it out.

NB doesn't really have their heads on straight over there, either....

I'm wondering where exactly I am going to go for Buddy's next food myself.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Natural Balance - Unnaturally lousy customer service!!!! I will NEVER recommend them to anyone again.:mad:

Even though it's absolutely undeniable that Sophie's illness was from the NB food she ate, they couldn't have been less sympathetic or more guarded.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh, Doc, I sure hope that Sophie feels better, poor girl :(

I was thinking about maybe switching my guys over to NB (long story, if you want to know PM me) but not after reading this! :yikes:

That does look good..thanks. I called and unfortunately I can't get it here but I may be able to have it shipped.

I just contacted Acana about the addition of menadione in their food and I'll post their response. I do love the rest of the ingredients though....

DanL

Doesn't Bob have a direct line into NB? Maybe he can help. :) just kidding Bob...

Doc, and the others who are combating allergies, if you are not into a raw diet, why not try doing home cooked? At least then you know exactly what is going into the food and you can eliminate so many ingredients that could be questionable.

B

Bobsk8

Doesn't Bob have a direct line into NB? Maybe he can help. :) just kidding Bob...

Doc, and the others who are combating allergies, if you are not into a raw diet, why not try doing home cooked? At least then you know exactly what is going into the food and you can eliminate so many ingredients that could be questionable.
Actually, NB read a few of my posts on this web site and took a look at the coat on Smokey, and they just sent me a check for $1,000 for being such a good spokeman for their products. In addition, I get all the NB products I want for free....... See , it pays to be loyal..... ;)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Actually, NB read a few of my posts on this web site and took a look at the coat on Smokey, and they just sent me a check for $1,000 for being such a good spokeman for their products. In addition, I get all the NB products I want for free....... See , it pays to be loyal..... ;)
Coat doesnt mean everything....sure its great to have a nice shiny but that doesnt mean anything if other factors of that specific diet dont play a role..such as leanness, muscle and overall health etc etc....

Too many people put too much emphasis on a nice shiny coat :rolleyes: I would love to see more pics of your dog BOB other than the one in your siggy...

EDIT: Chloe's coat isnt the shiniest in the world, but I DARE anyone to say she isn't healthy on the food she is eating...she doesnt have a BIT OF FAT anywhere on her..She is 53 pounds of muscle....but who cares about that as long as she has a shiny coat right..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
ROFL!! It all makes sense now! *lightbulb went off in head*

You give your dog NB because you're paid to do so! And you get all of the products for free!

I knew there was something else.

Pays to be loyal... to who? What about Smokey? Oh that's right.. who cares! You get NB for free!

:rolleyes:

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Now, I've read about raw.. but not too much about home cooked.. care to dish any details? ;) Thanks, Dan.

DanL

I don't know much about home cooked. I'd presume it's still healthier than kibble, and obviously much more time consuming than throwing some raw food to the dogs outside. You'd have to worry about calcium supplementation since you couldn't feed the bones, and possibly some kind of vitamin/mineral additives since things would get cooked off.

I only mentioned it because some people are turned off by the raw diet, but may not have issue if the food was cooked.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Ahhh.. I'm all for raw.. but I don't feel ready enough yet and I want to find out exactly what Buddy's allergy is first- before we move to raw, which I plan to do within the next couple of months. :)

Thanks, Dan. :)

I don't know much about home cooked. I'd presume it's still healthier than kibble, and obviously much more time consuming than throwing some raw food to the dogs outside. You'd have to worry about calcium supplementation since you couldn't feed the bones, and possibly some kind of vitamin/mineral additives since things would get cooked off.

I only mentioned it because some people are turned off by the raw diet, but may not have issue if the food was cooked.
It's not at all that I'm turned off by the raw diet, it's the cross contamination that is so hard to confine. I actually tried Sophie on raw a few years ago but she had loose poops no matter how slowly or quickly I introduced it as well as lots of itching. There is so much more variety now too, I'm very seriously considering it again for her...gosh, I'll just have to wash her beard after meals.

There's a mixed fish with veggies and fruit that I've been eyeing and I know she'd love it.

As for Bobs payday from NB, thanks for the info. Bob. It's pretty sad to know that they treat customers well if all is going well but the ones with a problem they treat with suspicion. Funny too since when Sophie was doing well on NB it was one of the kibble that I included in my recommendations(numbering in the 1000's), they didn't know that because I saw no need to a$$kiss to them as it was all about my clients dogs NOT a pet food company.
I'll be mentioning that to them the next time we speak....its a sad world for our pets when it comes to who cares and who doesn't.:mad:

Melissa_W

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with NB, dr2. That makes me want to switch... but Kai is so picky... he won't eat California Natural or Pinnacle and Nature's Variety made him throw up. He doesn't seem to like any fish formulas. I don't know what else to give him besides NB. I'm going to get some samples of the Timberwolf Organics allergy formulas and see if he likes any of them. If anyone else has success with another allergy formula, keep us posted.

On a side note... Bob, you have to be kidding me! :yikes:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with NB, dr2. That makes me want to switch... but Kai is so picky... he won't eat California Natural or Pinnacle and Nature's Variety made him throw up. He doesn't seem to like any fish formulas. I don't know what else to give him besides NB. I'm going to get some samples of the Timberwolf Organics allergy formulas and see if he likes any of them. If anyone else has success with another allergy formula, keep us posted.

On a side note... Bob, you have to be kidding me! :yikes:
I have to be honest Melissa. I was VERY happy with NB for quite a long time. Sophie had a similar problem with the duck and potato formula and that's why I switched to the sweet potato and fish but if this had not happened I would still be happily feeding her NB. My problem is that it's the second time its happened and that they seem to think I'm not telling the truth. I've sent a sample back to them for Gawd sakes AND have offered them Vet records..although that was after she asked for my Vets name and phone number.:rolleyes: :mad:
I just think that a company should care more about ALL of their customers, not just the ones who never have a problem. If they only knew the impact this incident will have on how many client I now WON'T recommend them to. I see well over 1000 dogs/year and discuss feeding with all of them. There are a few foods that I recommend and they have always been in the top 2, not anymore.

Members online

No members online now.