Please help... dog acting up

Hi -

I'm new to the community. I have a dog, Watson, a 10 year old German Shepherd. Anyway, he was raised entirely by my mother and she was pretty much everything for him. A week ago, my mother passed away. I have now taken Watson as my dog. He knows me well, I'm 19 and have lived at home with him and my mom the whole time. I've always been his playmate. But I am not his mom.

The problem is, since she has been gone, he has been acting up. He just barks and whimpers without necessarily wanting anything. He wakes me up at 2 or 3 in the morning for no particular reason. Just comes in and yelps. He has so much energy all the time, and nothing I do - no walk, no playtime - calms him down. He's restless.

What can I do? Is it just a time thing? Perhaps he just misses his mom and will get over it eventually? Is there anything I can do? I just feel so bad for him, since he cannot understand... yet at the same time, I can't keep going through these days and nights where he wakes me up at 3am and needs CONSTANT attention.

Any hints please? Thanks so much in advance.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
give it time

I am very sorry you lost your Mother. I know one day that will come for me and i haven't a clue what my world will be like..my mother and i are very close. When Mom leaves to go to the store her dogs always howl..it doesn't matter if i am in the house or not..or how she leaves either by foot or car. Somehow they always know even if they were in the basement. i feel so sorry for you both.

I had two dogs..a mother (Mary) and her son (bronki). Bronki died because of cancer at 7 yrs old. Mary was beside herself. I had him brought home to show her so she wouldn't look for him..hoping that knowing was better then not..she wouldn't eat..she was listless..and i was terrified of losing her too. They grieve just like us. distractions will help a great deal, extra exercise to at least wear out the body..i bet the dog is dreaming of his owner and then wakes up..that would explain the yelping and whimpering. Lots and lots of tlc..poor pup. That is my greatest fear that i would die and leave Victor my young pointer to someone else..his whole world would be blown apart even if he was left with the most attentive people. You might ask your vet if the dog can have a seditive at night..they have antidepressents for dogs too...Just try to hang in there and i imagine in a few weeks he will begin to accept the situation,
you might give him a sweater or coat of mom's to sleep with..something with her scent to bring him comfort now. Did mom have a radio station that she listened too..or a style of music..a ticking clock from her home? something that was a part of his old home to help him feel that way about his new.
i was thinking the dog my mom adopted came from an old woman's house. She died and the two dogs got out while the emts were going in. Mom said Shaffer acted like the oldest dog in the world...he seemed so confused too. It was about a month before he started acting like the young dog he really is.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.

I wonder if you let Watson sleep with a blanket your mom slept with that has her scent on it he might feel comforted. I think it's going to take time for him to realize she's not coming back. I don't think our pets feel any different than we do.

I know you must also be going through a tough time not having your mom with you. I think you both need each other right now for comfort and love.

Debi

I'm also sorry and sad for your loss. I love that you are willing to care for Watson, and I agree you both can be of great comfort to each other. I also agree it is a time thing...he is upset and confused. keep us posted. hugs

I think you've gotten some excellent advice. Dogs do grieve. My GSD/wolf, Bimmer, grieved - and still does - after a neighbor poisoned our other dog, Buffy. They know. Watson has lost a huge part of his life, and it will just take time and love and understanding.

Ever heard of Greyfriars Bobby? http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Scotland-History/GreyfriarsBob.htm

filarotten

Fila the love
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. This must be a very difficult time for you and Watson. I agree it will take time. He is grieving just like you. The blanket, or something of your mothers might help him feel more secure. When we lost Duke, Roxie grieved. She was restless, and whiney. I called the vet and she suggested many stuffed animals for Roxie to baby. This seemed to help some. She also suggested I give her benedryl. I really wasn't crazy about this, as I don't like giving medicine without syptoms, but I did finally try it for a few days, at bedtime. She did sleep thru the night. However it didn't correct the problem. Only time and a lot of affection will do that.

bubbatd

I'm so sorry ! This is so hard for you. Did he sleep in a certain place ?? The above suggestions are good. Love on him...he feels your grief too.

I am so sorry for your loss! I too believe Watson is grieving. I went through a period of just what you are describing when I lost my husband. Both of my dogs acted quite differently for awhile as well. I think we helped each other through the low times that followed and I am sure you and Watson will actually be good for each other - after all both of you miss your Mom. You and Watson are in my thoughts & prayers.

Members online

No members online now.