Breeding male Dachshund

Gopeder99

I have a male Dachshund full breed,

i want to breed it but i dont know how to go about it

a neighebor of mine is a big dog lover and she said there are websites where you can find other people that want to breed

Just dont do it. Seriously. Theres enough dogs in the world that dont have homes. Dont add to the homless population. If you dont know anything about breeding, that should be a big clue why you shouldnt do it.

sorry for being rude. I just dont like... ehh... whatever, you get my point. Hopefully.

You should only breed if you are responsible and doing it to better the breed standard. Breeding has a lot more in store than most people are able to imagine. Considering you know absolutely nothing about breeding, I'd reccomend you neuter your dog and learn about the problem you would be contributing to.

First of all, I don't know what you mean by "full breed". Are you trying to say pure bred? Secondly, that doesn't mean anything. Where did you get your dog from, anyway? Does it have it's health tests. Dachshunds are prone to spinal disc problems and heart disease. Did you know even know that?

What I want to know is why you'd want to breed anyways? If you aren't doing it to better the standard you are doing it simply because "fluffy is a little cutie". Go down to the shelter and look at all of those dogs. The majority of them will never find a home, mainly due to irresponsible breeding. If you want another dog, get one. However, do not breed your dog.

Dog breeders are very educated people. If this is something you'd like to do down the road I'd research for YEARS. Find a mentor, a nice reputable breeder that you can follow.

Please rethink this decision.

There are some people on this website that want to breed, however they're breeding to better the breed. They show their dog to ensure it's the best of the best, do a number of health takes to make sure their dog won't be passing on any undesirable genetic problems, and they look for another dog that will help to better the breed. Purebred just doesn't cut it anymore. This is extremely costly and they're lucky if they even break even with the puppies (often times they don't), but they do it because of their love of the breed. They also have a contract that, among other things, states that any puppy MUST be returned back to them at any point in its life if the owner is not able to care for it any longer.

Unfortunately, with the massive pet overpopulation problem, this is the only way breeding should be done. Countless animals are euthanized on a daily basis because of the lack of homes for them. Far too many people are breeding to make an "easy buck", or for whatever other excuse they think of, and this is where all of these dogs in shelters come from.

Please, if your dog isn't an excellent specimen of a Dachshund, please have it neutered. Unneutered dogs have a higher tendency to roam (especially when there is a female in heat around, they become unbearable) and there is a much higher risk of developing cancer in the reproductory organs. Often times, they also develop undesirable behaviours, such as marking inside of the house.

Breeding can also be very expensive. What if something unexpected happens, such as the bitch needing a cesarian section? What about all of the vet work for the puppies (including spay and neuter if they don't make the show cut)? The owner of the sire could be held responsible for a number of these things.

You sound like you love your dog and want the best for it; kudos on trying to get more information. However, I urge you to please do a little bit of research and neuter your dog...there are too many dogs in shelters already.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Are you serious? I really hope this is a sick joke.

"Full breed" What the heck is that?!

What organisation os your dog reg with?
Why do you want to breed? As a male owner you will get nothing out of it except maybe one pup as a stud fee.

No one in their right mind would breed to your dog unless it has titles, health checks, ect...

~Tucker&Me~

I know some of you have been very polite about this, but PLEASE, for those that have been harsh...

The BEST way to convince or teach is to do it politely. If that doesn't work, then go ahead, but at least TRY.

OP, 25% of the dogs coming into shelters are pure-bred. It doesn't mean much.

~Tucker

jess2416

Who woulda thought
It alot of work...for starters make sure you read the stickied threads at the top

JennSLK said:
Are you serious? I really hope this is a sick joke.

"Full breed" What the heck is that?!

What organisation os your dog reg with?
Why do you want to breed? As a male owner you will get nothing out of it except maybe one pup as a stud fee.

No one in their right mind would breed to your dog unless it has titles, health checks, ect...
This has been debated over and over on this forum. But here we go again. Lets assume this person came on this board honestly looking for answers. You respond by being an #$#%#. The person gets insulted, does not take you seriously, and never comes back. He/she thinks the forum is filled with nutcases. She goes ahead and breeds her dog without any adivce. Nothing accomplished.

On the other hand...you are polite, and explain your viewpoint. Perhaps she takes it into consideration. Many people just aren't that educated about this issues. Case in point... before I researched getting a dog, I would have happily bought a dog from a pet store. Now I won't. But if I asked a question about buying from a pet store, and I got the kind of answers you give, I would have told you to take a hike and gone straight to the pet store because you would come off as a nutcase who has nothing serious to offer.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Oh, Im so sorry. I didnt know that this form was no longer public and I couldnt voice my HONEST opinion.

Like most people here I am very pasonate about BYB's. I can voice my opinion as I like as long as I wasn't atacking someone personaly.

It's not like I posted that so and so is a _________

Im blunt about stuff like this and if it comes off rude then so be it. I learned from certain members to suck it up. People are blunt, they shouldnt sugar coat it and neither do I.

filarotten

Fila the love
Breeding is a passionate subject. They only way to educate, is to inform and explain. That is how new posters learn.

Positive reinforcement works for humans as well as animals. ;)

R

RedyreRottweilers

First, understand that without a doubt, breeding your dog will change him.

You can look for more dog aggression, more marking and leg lifting, and more determination to wander to look for bitches in season.

Also of concern are certain sexually transmitted diseases among dogs, the main one being Canine Brucellosis.

CB is contagious to humans, and there is no known cure in dogs. Most dogs who end up positive are destroyed. In males it can cause swollen painful testicles that then atrophy.

No dog should be bred with out a clean CB certification.

From http://www.ddrtx.org/about_breed.htm

Most all breeds have certain health issues that are inherent in the breed. Dachshunds are prone to three main health concerns. The main one is back problems with degenerative disks, and are highly prone to paralysis from injury and from bad breeding. Barring any accidents, if a dachshund passes it’s sixth year with no back troubles, chances are it will not develop it. (More on this when we get our “health issues” page up and running!). The second thing they are prone to is seizures. The seizures range from mild to severe and some require medication to help control. (Again, more on this issue later!). The third thing that they are prone to is mammary tumors – both males and females can get this. The only known preventative is to have your dachshund spayed or neutered prior to their first heat cycle for females, and at age 6 months for males. This will reduce the risk of mammary cancer and tumors by 98%.
You can find more info, esp regarding degenerative disk disease, back problems, and paralyisis, at the Dachshund Club of America website.

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/

Please keep in mind that creating new life is a very serious responsibility.

Research is important, and only the BEST specimens should ever be used for breeding.

You are very likely MUCH better off neutering your dog and enjoying him as a companion.

~Tucker&Me~

Thanks Red,
That was interesting.

JennSLK, there is a difference between suger-coating something and being polite.

~Tucker

i wanted a dachson but i did alot of reserch on them and desided againsted them cause of there back problems. there was one good webby on all the health problems in breeds.

bubbatd

Having dogs tested for CB is VERY important. I will also add any owner of a female that advertises for a stud would be a BYB.

L

LabBreeder

wouldn't you be scared away 2 if you were in his/her shoes??? ask a breeding question here and you better run the other way if you value your life. :) j/k not everyone is that bad, but you get alot of strong opinions.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Yes, you do get a lot of strong opinions.

I don't think anyone was rude to this poster in any way.

He was offered good true and correct information.

You'll have to excuse us. So many of us have seen so many rescues have to be put down because of issues caused by poor breeding or upbringing, and with millions yes MILLIONS of dogs and cats put to death in shelters EACH YEAR because of irresponsible PEOPLE breeding their pets, yep...

We get a little passionate about it.

Members online

No members online now.