What Training "Rules" Do You Break?

yoko

I mean, she still stares. She doesn't give a crap about rules :rofl1: but I feel better saying we have them :p
That sums up my feelings on the subject XD

For the staring I use to rent a room from a lady. Not a house just a room. I didn't want her barking or scratching to tell me she needed to go out or wanted something especially since at the time I was up at ungodly hours so I did kind of reinforce her intense stare habit.

I probably won't push for it with my next dog though. Different living situation will let me be a little more lenient with noise related issues I had.

Red Chrome

To be completely honest...other than 3-4 rules my dogs don't have any in the house or on walks. LOL LoLa is a horrible counter surffer but she is cute so it flies here. She is a really naughty little dog but she is good when it counts. LOL

Ironically Judge is pretty good....I let him walk ahead of me, go out the door first, play tug etc. We break a lot of "rules "

Barbara!

I pop my dog on the nose and smack them with the leash sometimes. Apparently that means I am ignorant and know nothing about training....OHWELL.

yoko

I pop my dog on the nose and smack them with the leash sometimes. Apparently that means I am ignorant and know nothing about training....OHWELL.
I don't know if that's necessarily a rule. It's kind of more like common sense.

yoko

You're going to do it here, too? Yet *I* start drama apparently...LOL.
I'm sorry I saw you bringing it over from the other thread and thought it was cool. I figured if you were ok to bring your drama over to a new thread you were ok with it being commented on.

I didn't realize you had your own special set of rules that I couldn't follow as well. My bad.

Paige

Let it be
My dog begs and does not walk on a loose lead. He doesn't pull either but the leash does not usually have a bunch of slack in it. I let him tug a bit if he wants to sniff. He doesn't wrench my arm out of the socket. He knows a focussed loose lead walk but generally I just let him do his thanng. I let him play tug with the same rope I walk him on. I let him on the furniture and often do not kick him off of it if hes comfy. I'll sit on the floor (though he always gets off if anyone asks him to).

I generally pretty slack with Bandit. He's not an arse and doesn't need a bunch of rules to be pleasant to live with. So there aren't many rules in our house regarding him.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I keep tugging if she hits me with her teeth it's an accident and she's still learning to tug hard and I can get some knicks if she's playing hard.
I don't always end training on a good note. If she messes up something I often end the training session to punish her.

Buster is allowed to tell off the other dogs if they are misbehaving, they listen to him well.
Quinn I can't allow to deal with the other dogs over food - she's very food aggressive with her meals, I put it back to having to share with 13 other puppies when she was in the litter. She ripped into Buster the other night because he ate a single cat kibble that she missed.

Tazwell

All of the dogs get on the dining room table (even Fleetwood, once...). Which isn't used for eating, but rather more of a computer desk.

All of the "your dog is dominant if" rules!

Paige

Let it be
You all should see the "parenting rules" I break. I still pick my kid up every time he cries. And yet he isn't much of a crier at all so I swear it's gotta be working for us. :D

Danefied

You all should see the "parenting rules" I break. I still pick my kid up every time he cries. And yet he isn't much of a crier at all so I swear it's gotta be working for us. :D
Not a broken rule if you follow attachment parenting. :)
I picked mine up too. Fed on demand, co-slept and don’t spank. In this part of the world you have no idea what kind of heathen that makes me :D

Ulteed

Well, sounds like a good summary of you to me. :)

_

As for my 'breaking of the rules', I let my dogs beg all they want. It doesn't bother me if they sit there watching, as long as they don't get too pushy, try to steal food, or get too close that it's uncomfortable to eat. I also let the dogs go on the furniture as they please, no 'wait for the okay'. They can pretty much do what the want! ;)

Danefied

Ignorant is not a bad thing. Ignorance is fixed with education. You had a thread about wanting to be educated no? So here it is - education at your fingertips! But you have to accept first that there is room to learn.

Dekka

Just try me..
Oh dear, my dogs get fed for staring for sport purposes. You want something? Stare at me. LOL. They would majorly **** you off, LOL!!! My sister always says that Mackenzy has a "staring problem" thanks to me. Rosie must be quite demure. :)
LOL she lived at my house. Kaiden and Dekka in particular have done lots of obedience where you specifically work on keeping eye contact to earn rewards. I don't mind dogs who stare, esp as I essentailly train them to do it lol. I don't like dogs who whine, paw, bark about it though.

monkeys23

Walking in front of me, I encourage them to get ramped about squirrels on walks, actively encouraged to climb in my lap and snuggle... yeah a 50lb husky ball in my lap while watching tv is the bomb, lol. I don't care if they beg as long as they are laying down while I'm eating. Both actively seek attention all the time. Both get on the bed/furniture. I'm sure there are others. :)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
LOL she lived at my house. Kaiden and Dekka in particular have done lots of obedience where you specifically work on keeping eye contact to earn rewards. I don't mind dogs who stare, esp as I essentailly train them to do it lol. I don't like dogs who whine, paw, bark about it though.
^^that. I don't think there's anything wrong with staring, and have dog sat for dogs who do, I just prefer it not to be done in my house LOL

Staring made me very uncomfortable as a child, so it was for that, too.

Catsi

I'm sure I break heaps of other people's 'rules', and maybe even some of my own sometimes lol.

A big one that I know I break is the 'never picking up a fearful dog' rule. Again, a reflection of my inability to modify Abby's behaviour is a meaningful way, but I've learned to just pick her up if another dog rushes over. Even the ones that I am confident are friendly. Unfortunately, most of the dogs that run over to us are just so much bigger than her and whilst they may be friendly, they may justifiably react to Abby reaction and I just worry she'll end up dead.

Act first, ask question later. I may still have a fearful dog in some situations, but she truly is alive and kicking and annoying the crap out of me. :D

Paige

Let it be
Not a broken rule if you follow attachment parenting. :)
I picked mine up too. Fed on demand, co-slept and don’t spank. In this part of the world you have no idea what kind of heathen that makes me :D
Same here. My kid also doesn't have a bed time. When he's showing signs of being tired is when he goes to bed. I don't force it 'cause I am not doing a temper tantrum because he took a 4 hour nap and wants to stay up later than usual. People think I'm NUTS for it. To me it just makes sense.:rofl1:

Barbara!

Ignorant is not a bad thing. Ignorance is fixed with education. You had a thread about wanting to be educated no? So here it is - education at your fingertips! But you have to accept first that there is room to learn.
Nope, I'm not ignorant. Just don't agree. But apparently that also means ignorance if you dare to have a different POV.

Members online