Omg Guess What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

showpug

LEA said:
yes i know, but it helps, beleive me if im paying 1200 for my next dog, the breeder will be checked out thorougly, and they will have to do some convincing....lol
Actually, if it's a good breeder you will be the one doing the convincing LOL!! Prepare yourself for an application process and interview or meeting before even being put on a list...if you don't go through this, then they aren't a reputable breeder.

poeluvr

showpug said:
Actually, if it's a good breeder you will be the one doing the convincing LOL!! Prepare yourself for an application process and interview or meeting before even being put on a list...if you don't go through this, then they aren't a reputable breeder.
o really.good to know. Your little girl was meant for showing right? she had to go through an application right...oh yea is she home yet.. back from a competition i gather?

S

stirder

I agree with showpug...when Im looking for a puppy or young dog from a breeder I expect to have to go through a intense? (dont know if thats the word I want or not) interview. if a breeder does not want to sit down with me in person and ask me a lot of questions, and possibly even do a home check (unless the breeder lives far away, they dont have the time or money to check the home of every person who wants a puppy) then I dont get a puppy from that breeder. theres always the small chance that a excellent breeder wont do interviews, but if they dont grill me to make sure I am worthy of one of their babies...my opinion is that they dont care about their babies and therefore probably didnt do the necassary planning and just thought "my dog is perfect, I want to breed her so others can have one just like mine".
on a side note...showpugs, I talked to 2 breeders at an akc dog show last year. both of their dogs were at what I assume was optimum weight, they were not walleyed, and didnt wheeze or pant (except after they ran around playing outside) and didnt snore when asleep (atleast anymore than my german shepherd and 12 week old blue heeler snore). you were talking about those problems coming from being over fed and under bred...they both used the phrase "over-bred". they said it is from people breeding FOR the wall eyes and more compact face? they also said brindle was introduced when a few money breeders bred in some boston terrier (I think?) to make their bloodlines look more appealing to the people with warped views of what a pug should be? arent the only 2 pug colors that are accepted the black/blue pug and the fawn/tan/gold pug? they also said that even the best example of a pug is more prone to certain health problems than say a golden retriever or doberman because of the compact face? the same as the english bulldog, french bulldog, etc?
dont take this the wrong way. my sister in law thinks the pug is the best dog in the world and thinks its the perfect breed for their family (my brother, my sister in law, a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old girl) so Im just trying to help her learn more about them.

showpug

stirder said:
I agree with showpug...when Im looking for a puppy or young dog from a breeder I expect to have to go through a intense? (dont know if thats the word I want or not) interview. if a breeder does not want to sit down with me in person and ask me a lot of questions, and possibly even do a home check (unless the breeder lives far away, they dont have the time or money to check the home of every person who wants a puppy) then I dont get a puppy from that breeder. theres always the small chance that a excellent breeder wont do interviews, but if they dont grill me to make sure I am worthy of one of their babies...my opinion is that they dont care about their babies and therefore probably didnt do the necassary planning and just thought "my dog is perfect, I want to breed her so others can have one just like mine".
on a side note...showpugs, I talked to 2 breeders at an akc dog show last year. both of their dogs were at what I assume was optimum weight, they were not walleyed, and didnt wheeze or pant (except after they ran around playing outside) and didnt snore when asleep (atleast anymore than my german shepherd and 12 week old blue heeler snore). you were talking about those problems coming from being over fed and under bred...they both used the phrase "over-bred". they said it is from people breeding FOR the wall eyes and more compact face? they also said brindle was introduced when a few money breeders bred in some boston terrier (I think?) to make their bloodlines look more appealing to the people with warped views of what a pug should be? arent the only 2 pug colors that are accepted the black/blue pug and the fawn/tan/gold pug? they also said that even the best example of a pug is more prone to certain health problems than say a golden retriever or doberman because of the compact face? the same as the english bulldog, french bulldog, etc?
dont take this the wrong way. my sister in law thinks the pug is the best dog in the world and thinks its the perfect breed for their family (my brother, my sister in law, a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old girl) so Im just trying to help her learn more about them.
You make some very good points, and yes when pugs are as we like to call it "over-done" they do have a lot of breathing problems because people breed in massive heads and heavy body mass etc. This puts extra strain on them and as those breeders said, a pug, even a well bred pug is not going to be able to run along side a bike or tolerate heat very well compared to a dobie or golden. They are companion dogs, not working or sporting dogs. You are correct about brindle pugs. We consider it a great tradgedy that people are breeding and selling brindle pugs which are a direct result of mixed breeding with bostons and frenchies. The only two acceptable colors for the pug are black and fawn...no exceptions. People will and do register their brindle pugs with AKC, but if you look at the papers they will be registered as fawn or black, not brindle!!!! There are only two color options on the papers to register a litter under and that is fawn or black!! I love how people just lie about things so they can make a buck :mad:

As far as your sister-in-law goes, pugs are generally a very good choice for children and family. They always want to be with their people and a true pug that is treated well and respected by children will never bite. Pugs really never resort to biting even if their limits are pushed...they are naturally tolerant and loving. They are also sturdy and larger boned than all other toy breeds, so in other words, they are not fragile. Tell your sister-in-law that they shed a ton! Can't tolerate heat or vigorous activity very well, so hot day at the beach and most family hikes are out of the question...oh, and the kids can't run them to death on a leash either LOL! They love eating more than anything else in life, so one must watch their portions and weight very closley. They can snore and they are very lazy...pugs that are over 3 years generally like to sleep about 10 hours a day :)

showpug

LEA said:
o really.good to know. Your little girl was meant for showing right? she had to go through an application right...oh yea is she home yet.. back from a competition i gather?
Yes Lea, my little girl was meant for showing. I am in transition and getting a new show puppy who is coming home in a week and a half. She will be a show dog. Her sire is in the top ten male pugs in the USA!! I believe he is #3 now, but have not checked latley. None of my pugs go off to shows without me. I handle them in the ring and always will. They are my pets first and foremost and I would never send them off with a stranger. :)

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
What an adorable looking puppy! Hope you, Rocky, and your new puppy get along together and have loads of fun!!! He sure is adorable!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
stirder said:
I agree w/ you there buddy.

Members online

No members online now.