I dunno on this one but I'll err on the side of caution. The closest Sophie gets to chocolate is when we share ice cream. But even then I'll carefully search for chocolate pieces and munch them before I offer her a taste.
Lucky that she doesn't really eat sweets except sharing the ice cream. I have a friend who insists acidic stuff and tomato sauce is more dangerous than chocolate, and lets his dog indulge. I disagree with that...I believe no chocolate and people food in moderation.
I don't believe in people food - as in, I don't believe there's "people food" and "dog food". There's just food. My dogs eat a diet planned out for a dog, but it's mostly food from the human supermarket. Some food is good for dogs, some isn't - just like some food is good for people and some isn't. Hell, some "people food" table scraps are healthier than most dog food.
This article is really helpful. I know there are times when dogs snag candy wrappers or even find some litter on the ground and start chewing it before their owners realize it. This has got to be a welcome relief. I Know one time I was concerned about my dogs when they got into the trash. I went through every single bit of garbage fearing they had gotten some chocolate. I still believe that even a little is probably bad, and though I feel reassured that my doggies can't die from a little bit, I am still keeping them away from it. I wonder if dark chocolate or raw chocolate would cause effects that are more intense with a smaller amount. I would be interested to read those numbers too. Dark chocolate is becoming so popular in most households because of its health benefits for humans. I think this would be useful information.
One of my friends when I was younger one a 10lb candy bar from a raffle or something on those lines. Her black lab got into it once and ate a lot of the chocolate but didn't have any side effects. But I take caution with my pooch
I take caution as well! I think that pup just got a little lucky or had a natural response that was very different to other dogs. I'm extra careful with that stuff. *Plus it doesn't last long at my house.