Destroying EVERYTHING-20 week Puppy

y2krobie

Hello, I have a 20 week puppy who is getting into everything and I need help-

Frist thing how do I get him to Stop digging holes? He keeps digging holes all over my lawn and its getting on my nerves to say the least, I cant tell you how many times I have Covered up the hole with dirt, I have even tried "Hartz-Stay away spray" that didnt work I have tried "Grants-No Dig Here Salt-Forulma" and nothing works, he keeps digging up my lawn. I need that to stop!

Another Problem-
He wont stop tearing down my clothes when I hang them outside to dry, For instance the other day I had washed about 10 towels and When I was hanging them he didnt pay no attention to them about a half hour later I came back out side and they were all in the dirt, and Its not like he plays with,he just tears them down and then goes after the next one, How do I get that to stop?

Someone please hlep me, I am really loseing it here!!!
Thanks in advance for any help.

Doberluv

What breed of dog is your puppy. He sounds pretty typical for his age. He is not going to behave like human beings behave, seeing as how he's a dog. LOL.

If your puppy doesn't have something to do which is constructive, he'll find himself something to do and it won't likely be constructive. LOL. It sounds like he needs to channel this energy into some kind of job.

First, he needs a few sessions of good, romping, wild play outside and exercise to get him a bit tired off and on during the day. Are you teaching him obedience skills every day? This is VERY important. It makes a dog "grow up." It makes him responsible and thinking. If his mind is kept stimulated and worked, it will be full and there won't be much more brain space left for him to dream up destructive things he can do on his own.

Puppies take lots of work, patience and time to get them to be good citizens. Be patient with him. Reward good behavior, distract from bad behavior, give alternative behaviors which you can reward and keep his mind and body BUSY and exercised. Use good timing when you reward....right at the moment the good behavior is happening...not afterward. Show him what you want and praise and reward. Don't be too hard on him. Let him be a puppy, but channel his enthusiasm into something useful. That drive you don't want to squelch, but instead re-direct.

For the digging, could you make a box for him out of some 2x 6's and put dirt in that? Take him to that and if he starts to dig (which you can help him with by burying something tasty) give him a command, "dig" or something like that. Praise for digging there in that box. You'll have to supervise him constantly when he's outside and prevent him from digging in other places. In other words, you're giving him an outlet for this intense desire to dig but distract or physically move him from digging in other places in your yard. Sometimes teaching a dog to do something on command, even if it's a behavior you don't want can eliminate that behavior at inappropriate times. Once he gets the idea that he can dig, but it has to be in this one designated area, you can eliminate the command and reward for digging in this area.

M

Manchesters

Easy

Doberluv said:
What breed of dog is your puppy. He sounds pretty typical for his age. He is not going to behave like human beings behave, seeing as how he's a dog. LOL.

If your puppy doesn't have something to do which is constructive, he'll find himself something to do and it won't likely be constructive. LOL. It sounds like he needs to channel this energy into some kind of job.

First, he needs a few sessions of good, romping, wild play outside and exercise to get him a bit tired off and on during the day. Are you teaching him obedience skills every day? This is VERY important. It makes a dog "grow up." It makes him responsible and thinking. If his mind is kept stimulated and worked, it will be full and there won't be much more brain space left for him to dream up destructive things he can do on his own.

Puppies take lots of work, patience and time to get them to be good citizens. Be patient with him. Reward good behavior, distract from bad behavior, give alternative behaviors which you can reward and keep his mind and body BUSY and exercised. Use good timing when you reward....right at the moment the good behavior is happening...not afterward. Show him what you want and praise and reward. Don't be too hard on him. Let him be a puppy, but channel his enthusiasm into something useful. That drive you don't want to squelch, but instead re-direct.

For the digging, could you make a box for him out of some 2x 6's and put dirt in that? Take him to that and if he starts to dig (which you can help him with by burying something tasty) give him a command, "dig" or something like that. Praise for digging there in that box. You'll have to supervise him constantly when he's outside and prevent him from digging in other places. In other words, you're giving him an outlet for this intense desire to dig but distract or physically move him from digging in other places in your yard. Sometimes teaching a dog to do something on command, even if it's a behavior you don't want can eliminate that behavior at inappropriate times. Once he gets the idea that he can dig, but it has to be in this one designated area, you can eliminate the command and reward for digging in this area.
The puppy should never be outside unsupervised. Is this a house dog or a yard dog? Where are you when he is doing his digging, and tearing things off the clothes line??

Doberluv

Exactly. You have to supervise a puppy at all times, like you would a toddler. The more times he gets away with this stuff, the more reinforcement he's getting. It is very rewarding to him to tear your clothes off the line. Gee! If I were a puppy, that would be one wee of a good time! LOL. Don't let him self reward. Prevent the destruction before it happens so he gets in the habit of "good" behavior being rewarding and not "bad" behavior being rewarded.

Fran27

I'm sitting here laughing thinking of what Boris would do with laundry drying outside. Not only it would be in the dirt, but probably torn in lots of pieces, too.

But yeah, the comparison with toddler is good. They need to be supervized at all times, or you need to put away what is liable of getting him in trouble.

I was going to say what Doberluv said about giving him a designated area to dig in. Make him a little sand box, hide toys and treats in there, and make digging in his little box a grand old time! Make your puppy feel like he is the best thing since sliced bread when he's digging in his box and pulling up bones and toys and treats!!

The towels drying out on the line, the only solution I can think of to this problem is to bring your pup inside with you when the clothes are out there drying. He shouldn't be left outside alone anyhow, he's just a little baby.

Like everyone else said, the reason he's getting into these destructive behaviors is because they are entertaining to him and he's probably bored. If you have to leave your pup outside while your towels are drying, take that time to work on obedience and playing fetch and having a romping good time, so that he will be tuckered out and stay out of mischeif.

y2krobie

For the most part he is outside, He just wants to go outside all the time(cant wonder why ;) ) He has toys, and a big yard to play in and he gets love/attention and all that good stuff. Someone told me to take away the toys cause that makes them dig.
Someone also told me to chain him up outside away from everything so he wont get the chance to even think of digging/ripping clothes down- My neighbor told me that and he said that his dogs did that when they were young and now there older they dont do that stuff anymore, there not chained up now.
Personally I think thats mean,but If I cant a control on this I may have to- Yea I know a puppy is alot of work,but He will NEVER do anything bad when Im around him,its when I go inside for a few minutes and come out that he has done something wrong- Now I know what you all our going to say- "He wants Attention" That I know belive me,but when Im at work/school I cant bring him with me and certainly cant leave him in the house,I cant even imagine what he will do in the house.

If you need to know He is Quater-Lab Quater-Chow And the other half I dont since, since the person who gave the dog to me doesnt know either-Personally to me he looks sorta like a Pit-bull/Lab mix

Fran27

You wouldn't worry about what he would do in the house if he was in a crate/puppy proof room. That's what they're for.

But the bad news is that his behavior is probably never going to stop if he's outside alone all the time. He's just bored, so he finds something to do.

nedim

I didnt read all of the posts, so I dont know if someone already mentioned this but have you thought of trying a kong?

Doberluv

Puppies take a ton of your time, lots of attending to, training, socializing and supervision. If you don't have time for a puppy, you might want to think about re-homing him. To leave a pup alone all day where he can get into things, get hurt, become bored and thus, destructive is not going to make a nice adult dog.

Saje

Island dweller
He needs to be supervised all the time.

He needs a place of his own to dig.

He needs for temptation to be removed. Don't put him out in the yard while the clothes are drying or don't hang your clothes there. That's like me leaving a big steak on the counter and saying 'gosh, he know she's not supposed to do that' :rolleyes: The steak is more reward than any punishment I could give him.

Don't tie him up you'll just have more problems.

Doberluv has given you some good advice. I'd follow it.

poeluvr

u dont seem to responsible like everything should be able to be fixed with a snap of ur finger

y2krobie

Im going to follow the things you have given,at least what I cna do for the time being,
Thanks everyone! and LEA to say Im not responsible is something you shouldnt say, you dont know me.

Saje

Island dweller
y2krobie said:
Im going to follow the things you have given,at least what I cna do for the time being,
Thanks everyone! and LEA to say Im not responsible is something you shouldnt say, you dont know me.
I'm not sure but I think she might have been talking to me.

I hope it works out for you. Puppies can be sooo frustrating. But a little consistency and patience go a long way. Post pics if you'd like!

y2krobie

If Thats the case then I do appolgize to LEA

I dont have pics of him yet, but I wish I did.

Saje

Island dweller
He sounds like a cute mix. :D All mine are mutts too.

We were asking about the breed because they give ideas to certain characteristics. Like digging, ankle biting, herding... plus if they are high-energy... Just gives some good insight.

Saje

Island dweller
Oh they ALL can! My dogs are nuts! I can hardly stand to have them all in the house at the same time until they are worn out! :rolleyes:

mrose_s

BusterLove
hes exploring remmebr and hell be annoying for a while longer, my mother used to say kittens are like 5 year olds with knives on their fingers. You are going to get scratched every now and again.

But try to give him distractions, if he is pulling down towels, he is proabably trying to relieve boredom :D

Members online

No members online now.