Filas

Bunny82

Hello everybody in the next year or two we are adding a Fila to the family and I would like to talk with other Fila owners and get some tips, advice, guidance, and any other information that you think will help prepare us for our new puppy. We are looking to get a Fila in the next year or two so we want to be ready! I would also like to stress how important this decision-to add a Fila to our family is to us. We first learned about the breed about two years ago and they sounded like everything we were looking for but we did not want to make the wrong choice so we studied the breed as well as others trying to find the perfect dog for our family and every time we came back to the Fila. When we found out that I was pregnant (our son is now ten months old) that intensified our search and desire to make sure we were making the right choice. I hope it will be okay if I ask questions on the breed. Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

LOL . . . well, a good start would be to use our search feature here. I've posted quite a bit of info on them in my years of Living With Filas :)

First and foremost, don't get a Fila if you are not prepared to do extensive socializing from the time your Fila is a puppy. Get your puppy out and around people, in all sorts of environments. Don't necessarily try to force your puppy to be friendly with people - that's not their nature, but let him or her take it all in and get a broad experience base with the range of normal, non-threatening human behavior.

The other cardinal rule of having a Fila is to understand that they are not dogs to be left outside. They live in the house with you. They sleep on your couch. They snuggle in bed with you. That is their nature. A Fila kept apart from his or her people is an unhappy Fila in the wrong home.

Bunny82

Thank you for the advice. May I ask what is the best way to socialize a Fila? Would I socialize them like I would other breeds or is the socialization process different? Like you mentioned I don't want or expect a Fila to love everyone but I do want to have to be able to have one properly controlled (like at vet visits for example). I hope that made some sort of sense.

Its perfect that they sleep in bed with you. When we finally decided on getting my fiance said so I suppose this means we need to get one of those big old california king beds. Seriously though dogs on the bed, furniture, all cool with me. :)

I also would like to apologize for not first using the search feature. I did not even notice it until after I posted. LOL guess I got a bit eager. Sorry again. :)

Bunny82

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
They are indeed amazing creatures. Amazing creatures, however, that are not for everyone. I applaud your efforts to educate yourself, as being owned by a Fila is no small task. ;)

I'm pretty sure there are tons of threads, but new questions and the want for fresh perspectives are always good to have, so feel free to ask. :)

Have you found a breeder you like?

Bunny82

They are indeed amazing creatures. Amazing creatures, however, that are not for everyone. I applaud your efforts to educate yourself, as being owned by a Fila is no small task. ;)

I'm pretty sure there are tons of threads, but new questions and the want for fresh perspectives are always good to have, so feel free to ask. :)

Have you found a breeder you like?
LOL I think in 'Fila world' the word 'small' is an oxymoron. I want to be the best Fila owner I can be thats why its so important to me to learn all I cxan before getting one.

I have not really found a breeder. I heard a lof of good about Camping Filas but I can't find a working webpage for them so I am not even sure if they are still in operation.

I live in VA if you can recommend a breeder and I am more than willing to travel for the right puppy when the time comes.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I do believe Clelia is no longer in "business", but I could very well be wrong. Her site has not been working for quite some time now.

As far as breeders, there are very few I would ever obtain a Fila from. I really, really, suggest doing your research in that department. At this point in time, we are even unsure of where our next Fila will be from. :)

How did you get interested in Filas?

Bunny82

I do believe Clelia is no longer in "business", but I could very well be wrong. Her site has not been working for quite some time now.

As far as breeders, there are very few I would ever obtain a Fila from. I really, really, suggest doing your research in that department. At this point in time, we are even unsure of where our next Fila will be from. :)

How did you get interested in Filas?
Thats what I heard, that Clelia is no longer breeding and some guy (I don't know his name sorry) now has her breeding dogs but that could be wrong and I don't want to put too much in information heard through the 'grape vine' since messages can be misconstrued so easily.

I got interested in Filas a few years back. My fiance and I were now living together and we both wanted a dog. The problem was finding the right breed. Prior to deciding on the Fila we looked at German Shepherds, Great Pyrs, Tibetan Mastiffs, Anatolian Shepherds, and so forth. While I think these are all awesome breeds they were not exactly what we were looking for. When I first learned about Filas I was ecstatic because they possesed all the temperament traits we wanted. Another part of their appeal to us was their relative rarity. We knew this probably meant it would be harder to find a good breeder but we also thought that in the long run it would be worth it because overbreeding is such an issue.

Thank you for the advice. May I ask what is the best way to socialize a Fila? Would I socialize them like I would other breeds or is the socialization process different? Like you mentioned I don't want or expect a Fila to love everyone but I do want to have to be able to have one properly controlled (like at vet visits for example). I hope that made some sort of sense.

Its perfect that they sleep in bed with you. When we finally decided on getting my fiance said so I suppose this means we need to get one of those big old california king beds. Seriously though dogs on the bed, furniture, all cool with me. :)

I also would like to apologize for not first using the search feature. I did not even notice it until after I posted. LOL guess I got a bit eager. Sorry again. :)
Oh, no problem with not using the search at first . . . you sounded eager and there's a lot of info already here - without a wait ;)

Practical note - a California King bed is 6 inches longer than a standard king, but it isn't as wide. Unless you're 6'6" or over, stick with the regular king size bed ;)

I take mine anywhere and everywhere I can get by with taking her. Lowes and garden stores are great places. We walk in town a lot. Basically anyplace I go that doesn't outright ban dogs I take her.

My vet was THRILLED with having me come in every so often (sometimes once a week, sometimes every other week) to socialize her and get her used to being weighed and handled and to let him and his staff make a fuss over her and give her cookies. He's dealt with Filas before, lol, and *fondly* refers to them as "alligators with fur."

As far as Camping Filas go, you'll find Camping lines in a great many Fila lines. Jaguara lines are also one to look for, as well as Eshabeta. Stay clear of the guy in Turtle Creek, Tennessee. Totally bad news all the way around.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Here are some things I avoid in Fila breeders:

1. Those that state filas are not family dogs and would not be good around children.
2. Those that attempt to breed out the ojeriz and advertise their filas as overly friendly.
3. On the opposite coin, those that are about the size and aggressiveness of their dog. :rolleyes: Filas are NOT aggressive.
4. Either side of the breeding coin which condemns the other, show quality vs. working quality debate. I believe a Fila can be both.

I'm sure I have more, but my office is a mess and I don't know where my Fila folder is. :p

Here's another thread:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68788&highlight=fila

Last edited:
The show vs. working debate is different depending on the origins of the show dogs. The show dogs in Brazil are highly suspect, as there are a great many irregularities in the protocols for registering show "Filas" in Brazil. There's been a great deal of outcrossing with Bull Mastiffs/BullMastiffX dogs and even Great Danes. There is also a great deal of overbreeding in the Brazilian show lines.

The truly knowledgeable people I've had the chance to talk to who have been to Brazil in search of dogs have told me that until you make your way back into the old fazendas, you aren't going to find many good dogs anymore :(

There seem to be some good farm Filas coming out of Mexico.

Bunny82

Here are some things I avoid in Fila breeders:

1. Those that state filas are not family dogs and would not be good around children.
2. Those that attempt to breed out the ojeriz and advertise their filas as overly friendly.
3. On the opposite coin, those that are about the size and aggressiveness of their dog. :rolleyes: Filas are NOT aggressive.
4. Either side of the breeding coin which condemns the other, show quality vs. working quality debate. I believe a Fila can be both.

I'm sure I have more, but my office is a mess and I don't know where my Fila folder is. :p

Here's another thread:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68788&highlight=fila
I agree with avoiding breeders that say their Filas are either overly friendly or aggressive. Please correct me if I am wrong (remember I still am in the learning process) but from my understanding they don't have that interest in going up and making friends with everyone they see. You socialize them so they are familiar to everyday life and they learn to accept (or is tolerate a better word?) eveyday normal activities, but you never expect them to behave like a Golden or Labrador and want to be best friends with everyone they meet because that is not them. With aggression (again please correct me if I am wrong) but I think that aggression is a misuse of the Filas 'ojeriza'. 'Ojeriza' means an aversion or dislike right? Those things have nothing to do with aggression. I think its more appropriate to say that Filas have a natural distrust of strangers and will defend if necessary but they are also intelligent enough to know how much a situation requires. Oh and about them not being good with children that really bugs me. If they were not good with children I would not even be considering one and would just admire them from a distance.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I agree with avoiding breeders that say their Filas are either overly friendly or aggressive. Please correct me if I am wrong (remember I still am in the learning process) but from my understanding they don't have that interest in going up and making friends with everyone they see. You socialize them so they are familiar to everyday life and they learn to accept (or is tolerate a better word?) eveyday normal activities, but you never expect them to behave like a Golden or Labrador and want to be best friends with everyone they meet because that is not them. With aggression (again please correct me if I am wrong) but I think that aggression is a misuse of the Filas 'ojeriza'. 'Ojeriza' means an aversion or dislike right? Those things have nothing to do with aggression. I think its more appropriate to say that Filas have a natural distrust of strangers and will defend if necessary but they are also intelligent enough to know how much a situation requires. Oh and about them not being good with children that really bugs me. If they were not good with children I would not even be considering one and would just admire them from a distance.
That's exactly my understanding of it.

bubbatd

I always think that starting with your State's breed club is a good move . They usually know the best breeders .

You've got a good handle on it, Bunny :)

Congrats on figuring out that ojeriza is not aggression and that a Fila is not, by nature, an aggressive dog! They are defensive - huge difference.

Truly, the misuse of the application of the term "aggressive" to dogs in general irks my soul. Very few dogs are aggressive. Most of the dogs labeled aggressive are being defensive, and sometimes people just get bitten because they're being jackasses and are begging for it.

My friend, Linda's male Fila, Brutus, ADORES her granddaughter who was two years old when they got Brutie. Of course, he's also been known to steal her little yard Jeep and drive it around the yard ;)

Make sure you're at least as smart as a Fila before you get one :rofl1: I will admit that Kharma keeps me on my toes. I have to think one step ahead of her sometimes.

Oh, and no proper Fila will ever win an obedience title ;)

Grammy, it would be a rarity to have a state breed club for Filas, and truthfully, if there were, I'd stay FAR away from it.

bubbatd

Hmmmm... Renee , interesting . To me they would have the best lines .

Bunny82

It irks me too when people label a breed as aggressive. And honestly Filas are big enough that their physical presence alone will stop most potential threats. I can not for the life of me understand the emphasis on aggression. It almost reminds me of the lies about the APBT (another breed we were considering) and how people try to tote them as vicious man killers. Maybe its some macho thing like 'hey I got the big bad dog?' I don't know but it bothers me since most of the breeds that I am fond of are mislabeled as aggressive whey they are not.

Your friends Fila sounds sweet. :) And stealing the little jeep? Priceless. LOL I think my little boy will have a lot of fun (and mischief and love!) with his Fila when we get ours.

How would you describe training a Fila (their trainability?) they are intelligent and that usually means the dog is harder to train right? But they also bend over backwards to please their people so how does that come into play? Is there any particular form of training they respond better to?

noludoru

Bored Now.
It irks me too when people label a breed as aggressive. And honestly Filas are big enough that their physical presence alone will stop most potential threats. I can not for the life of me understand the emphasis on aggression. It almost reminds me of the lies about the APBT (another breed we were considering) and how people try to tote them as vicious man killers. Maybe its some macho thing like 'hey I got the big bad dog?' I don't know but it bothers me since most of the breeds that I am fond of are mislabeled as aggressive whey they are not.
Okay, wow, you are fitting right in with this forum! :rofl1: :D

Members online

No members online now.