Update on Bo the dog who was shot.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
For those who have asked about Bo and offered your help and compassion.

Here is an update.

Got to work this morning and found Bo standing in his cage and bearing some weight on his right rear leg. Simply amazing. He was wagging his tail, and genuinely glad to see us.

While he still has a long way to go, this is great! I am so pumped. I realize some of you are bored with this, and think I shouldn't have brought it here, but you would have to know this dog. In fact, some of you do..... just call your own dog over and look into its eyes and you will see Bo.

Like I said, he still has a long way to go, but I am very encouraged today. Yesterday morning he had no deep pain response in that leg and no use of it whatsoever. This morning he is like a different dog. We are trying to keep the infection under control and he is responding well. Still not eating very good but his spirits are much better today. Dr. J

that is awesome! hes not outta the woods but hes trying! I hope he gets better the poor boy!

makenzie71

Well i'm new to the conversation:

He's got a spot on his flank...is the large wound the entrance or exit? I would suspect it be the exit, considering the amount of damage there. Probably small calibre, very high velocity...something like a 22-250, I'd put money on it. .243, 270 or any 30 cal weapon would have taken the leg off. It looks like the bullet hit his hip and splintered, which caused the two exit wounds. It's a very poor shot and poor ammunition...probably the stuff Wal-Mart sells for $10 a box. From what it looks like it was a complete "glanced" round. That's the part that pisses me off...if you can't even manage to kill what you're shooting at, you needn't be shooting at living things.

I hope he makes a good recovery. Was his hip damged? Did they get all of the bullet out? most high velocity 22 cal rounds are very thinly cased in copper...when they punch through the copper shreds after impacting anything solid. A small splinter moving at 3000fps can do tremendous damage, as you can clearly see...I'd be worried that fragments may have punctured his abdomen.

That's very encouraging. Please keep us posted, I've been thinking about this sweet dog and wondering....I hope he continues to do well.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Glad to hear...I wonder if the "power of positive thinking" that has to becoming from all cross-posted boards has anything to do with it?

B

Bobsk8

Well i'm new to the conversation:

He's got a spot on his flank...is the large wound the entrance or exit? I would suspect it be the exit, considering the amount of damage there. Probably small calibre, very high velocity...something like a 22-250, I'd put money on it. .243, 270 or any 30 cal weapon would have taken the leg off. It looks like the bullet hit his hip and splintered, which caused the two exit wounds. It's a very poor shot and poor ammunition...probably the stuff Wal-Mart sells for $10 a box. From what it looks like it was a complete "glanced" round. That's the part that pisses me off...if you can't even manage to kill what you're shooting at, you needn't be shooting at living things.

I hope he makes a good recovery. Was his hip damged? Did they get all of the bullet out? most high velocity 22 cal rounds are very thinly cased in copper...when they punch through the copper shreds after impacting anything solid. A small splinter moving at 3000fps can do tremendous damage, as you can clearly see...I'd be worried that fragments may have punctured his abdomen.
To be honest, I think most of us dog lovers don't give a rat's behind what the idiot used to shoot the dog with . What's a shame is that the shot didn't ricochet and hit the shooter in the crotch.

Dreeza

To be honest, I think most of us dog lovers don't give a rat's behind what the idiot used to shoot the dog with . What's a shame is that the shot didn't ricochet and hit the shooter in the crotch.
hehehe, now that would have been pretty freaking funny

Glad to hear Bo is doing so well! He looks like such a sweetheart! Send some hugs from me, to him!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yeah I am so glad to hear that....*sigh* :D

Please keep the updates coming! :D

Cole's Mom

Dobe Lover
Is he going back to his owner or did they give him up for adoption? Hopefully, they will be more careful with him in the future.

Cole's Mom

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I am so glad! What a sweet looking dog. He didn't deserve this and I am so happy he has folks like you to help him get another chance.

makenzie71

Whether you are concerned with caliber or not, it's an important fact that has to be considered. My assessment is a .22 calibre weapon...22-250, .220 Swift, or .222. It's an important consideration because .22 calibre rifles are what's called "varmit guns". They're target rifles designed for target shooting and ridding your propperty of "pests". They're NOT intended to bring down 150lb game.

A propper hunter, aiming for deer, would have been out there with a .243, .270, or a 30 calibre rifle like 30 Win. Mag. or a 30-30. Now it's no doubt that a .22 calibre weapon can bring down a deer...I've done it...but if this guy can't even kill a dog then he's very much lacking the marksmanship to bring down a deer.

It's a testement that he was already doing a disservice, and likely committing a crime. Most counties have bans on .22 calibre weapons for hunting deer. A lot of counties have bans on rifles all together and insist hunters use shotguns.

P

Purdue#1

Poor thing. If you're going to kill something make sure you know how to aim so you kill it on one shot so it won't suffer. The guy that shot Bo just humiliated himself. i'd put it in the newspaper too.Didn't even shoot it where you would normally aim. You aim just behind the shoulder. Either the gun was not sighted in or the guy is just a bad shot. Still humiliating.

we make it more complicated here. we use a bow and arrow and a bb gun to get rid of pests. If we have to we will use a muzzle loader or a high powered rifel, but that's a rare occasion.

B

Bobsk8

Poor thing. If you're going to kill something make sure you know how to aim so you kill it on one shot so it won't suffer. The guy that shot Bo just humiliated himself. i'd put it in the newspaper too.Didn't even shoot it where you would normally aim. You aim just behind the shoulder. Either the gun was not sighted in or the guy is just a bad shot. Still humiliating.

we make it more complicated here. we use a bow and arrow and a bb gun to get rid of pests. If we have to we will use a muzzle loader or a high powered rifel, but that's a rare occasion.
The other option is " Don't kill anything. "........ I suppose that is a bizarre concept......

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
The other option is " Don't kill anything. "........ I suppose that is a bizarre concept......
I'm with you hun. I don't even kill mosquitoes. What right do I have to determine whether something else lives or dies, just for my convenience (and I'm not even going to start on the `entertainment value' some folks view it as). :mad:

B

Bobsk8

Whether you are concerned with caliber or not, it's an important fact that has to be considered. My assessment is a .22 calibre weapon...22-250, .220 Swift, or .222. It's an important consideration because .22 calibre rifles are what's called "varmit guns". They're target rifles designed for target shooting and ridding your propperty of "pests". They're NOT intended to bring down 150lb game.

A propper hunter, aiming for deer, would have been out there with a .243, .270, or a 30 calibre rifle like 30 Win. Mag. or a 30-30. Now it's no doubt that a .22 calibre weapon can bring down a deer...I've done it...but if this guy can't even kill a dog then he's very much lacking the marksmanship to bring down a deer.

It's a testement that he was already doing a disservice, and likely committing a crime. Most counties have bans on .22 calibre weapons for hunting deer. A lot of counties have bans on rifles all together and insist hunters use shotguns.
First of all, if you shot a deer with a .22 caliber, you aren't the brightest blade in the drawer in my opinion. Again I say, I don't care what this person used to shoot the dog with, the shooter is a total dirt bag and he deserves to have his life from now on to turn to crap in my opinion. It is a proven fact that people that abuse and hurt domestic animals are right on the edge of doing the same thing to people, so I have no sympathy for any of them . If I had seen this person doing this, he would now be trying to figure out how he was going to pay the doctors that had to surgically remove the .22 rifle from his butt, where I would have put it.....

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm so glad the dog is doing better. I know he still has a way to go but the improvement is encouraging! Still sending good vibes! :)

I really don't care at all why or how someone shot the dog, or what they used, and I don't care to know how they were "supposed to" kill the dog!

makenzie71

First of all, if you shot a deer with a .22 caliber, you aren't the brightest blade in the drawer in my opinion.
Nah it's entirely dependant upon marksmanship. I'll hunt white tail with a 22-250 on occasion, but I'm not exactly a run-of-the-mill marksman, and I prefer my 7mm Magnum (roughly .275 calibre) because of round stabillity and range. Though I agree with you; .22 calibre weapons should generally be used for smaller game.

Oh I love people who grew up always having food on the table.:popcorn:

Members online