I'm worried about my Kitty....

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Hi, lately I've been worried about my cat, Bosco. The other night I woke up to hear LOUD yowling, and spitting, it literally sounded like he was getting killed, and it scared me to DEATH! I thought he was dead! But when I went out in the morning, afraid that I'd see his limbs spread out all over the yard, he came up to me meowing for some lovin'! :confused: I just kinda let it roll off my shoulder because the last few days have been fine, but last night, again, I was up watching my favorite show (at like 2:00am :p) and I heard it again!! It really scared me, and if anyone knows the feeling, they know what I'm talking about. My heart just skipped a beat because I really thought my cat was getting killed because the other night we were having a campfire, and we heard coyotes. Anyway, I just sat there because it was pitch dark, and I didn't have a flash light to search outside (besides, how scary would it be to find your cat with it's insides out, in the dark? let alone in the daytime!). Anyway, I went outside today to put food out for him, thinking I'd see him dead, or else see the neighbors dog carrying his dead body around, and he was asleep in his 'kitty shelter' that we built him! Just sleeping peacfully! (yes, he was breathing. lol!) I don't get it....he's neutered, so I ruled out a 'mating call' and if he'd gotten in a fight, wouldn't he have some sort of marks on him?? Maybe it's not him...:confused: There was a stray orange cat hanging around a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen him since, and none of the neighbors have cats.... he's always been fine until now....does anyone have any Idea why he's yowling like that? It sounds like he's being hurt almost because it's yowling, growling, and hissing.....:confused: I don't know....if anyone has any info, let me know. THANKS!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
It could be a cat fight. Even neutered cats will fight sometimes with other cats that invade their territory. Cat fights can sound pretty nasty! I would suppose that since your boy doesn't have a mark on him that he is the winner of these fights!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you for the help. He is a fairly large cat, and I bet that's what it is. He probably just doesn't want another cat in his 'territory'. Thank you again! :)

Could you possibly keep him in for a few nights?

this way if you dont hear it then you know it is him?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Well, I could keep him in his 'Kitty Shelter' tonight. My dad's allergic, so he has to stay outside. I'll let you know how that goes! ;)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
True... I didn't think of that. lol! Poor bosco, i know how my old cat was, and that was awful howling he'd do! He has 2 kitty shelters, but the other one doesn't close. We have 'kitty shelters' cause the neighbors have a dog (a big one) and also we live out in the country with coyotes, wildcats, etc. and so when Bosco found us, there was only one safe way to have him outside, and we made him 2 different shelters. The 1st one is an XL metal dog kennel/crate, and it's covered with sheets/blankets, and has an old futon matress inside, and he LOVES that, and that's where he sleeps every night (it gets chilly at night) and he also has an XL dog house, that is inside a 6ft high 10x10 dog run/kennel, for if something is chasing him. He can climb the fence, and hide in the dog house (which is also filled with blankets). We had the crate, and kennel(and dog house) for our GSD when we 1st moved here, and after we had to find him a new home :)() Bosco came along, so we never took them down. Anyway, I think he'll be okay. If something was after him, that he couldn't handle, I think he's smart enough to go out to his kennel. We're also working on putting a small dog house in a tree. lol! We figured out that when the neighbors dog gets out, he always runs up a tree, so my dad's working on making a 'tree house', and drilling a dog house up in the big tree in our yard. :D

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
Could be a hairball? I know my cat has to let EVERYONE know when he's hacking up one.. hahaha.. :p

I hope he's ok.. but that's what it sounds like to me.. maybe try getting him some hairball treatment?

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
Could be a hairball? I know my cat has to let EVERYONE know when he's hacking up one.. hahaha.. :p

I hope he's ok.. but that's what it sounds like to me.. maybe try getting him some hairball treatment?

LMAO! "HELLOOOOOO WORLD, HERE IT COMES!"

That's all I can picture, kitty on a soapbox with a bullhorn. :)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
oh, i forgot to mention, i stayed up pretty late last night, and didn't hear him....he was curled up sleeping this morning, and as soon as he heard me he was meowing for breakfast :rolleyes: i suppose we'll figure out what it is eventually. :)

Think about all the other little animals that come into your yard at night...skunks, oppossums, raccoons, stray cats and dogs, coyotes, etc... He probably was encountering one of them. You don't leave food out all night long for the cat to eat do you? If so you are attracting all sorts of critters into your yard which puts the cat in danger. If you cannot bring the cat indoors, I would lock him up at night. Better safe then sorry.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Well, we feed him in the morning, so if he doesn't eat all of it, there might be some left for other critters. Would you suggest I take the food bowl in before bed? I can do that! :)

poodlesmom

I suggest bringing his food bowl inside as well. Years ago I adopted a stray that was in the neighborhood. He refused to come close enough to be able to be brought inside so I kept a bowl of food on the slab outside my front door. One evening while watching TV through the screen I heard him eating. When I went & looked out the screen I saw it wasn't him but a possum enjoying the food. That was the last time I fed him outside. I actually used the food as a lure during the daytime to get him to come inside. He still spent most of his time outside but always came in to eat.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Eddie my cat sleeps on the porch. Once in a while another cat will come up to invade his territory so this is the routine. He yowls MOM LET THE DOGS OUT so i do and the invader is chased away. That has been the routine for years until recently when i heard the yowl and let Mary out smack into three raccoons.We were lucky that they bolted for the bush and ran. Now i LOOK FIRST before i open the door. HE has used this techinque back in his old days when once in a while a cat would threaten his territory. HE would come up the street hit our yard and THEN hollar so his canine army could teach that cat what for by giving it a good chase. I swear he would smirk each time. For a scrawny cat not granted bulk or muscle at least the heavens above granted him brains.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
lol! I bet that's what it is. I didn't even think about the food until it was mentioned here. I'm going to start taking it in before we go to bed. I know there are plenty of raccons, possums, and other little critters out in the woods, plus as I mentioned earlier, there has been a stray tabby around lately, so something is probably trying to take his food, and he's not happy about it. Thank you for all the help! I'll start bringing the food in from now on, and I'll let you all know how it goes!!!! :) THANKS!

Me & Bosco

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
So, the truth comes forward. :D We were pulling out of our driveway to see a skinny orange tabby slinking into the bushes next to our house. :) That must have been what the commotion was about.Tonight I'm debating putting food out, as I don't want a fight, but that poor kitty sure did look hungry....We'll see. :)

nancy2394

I am so glad I don't have any outdoor pets. I think I would have a massive ulcer from the stress I would have worrying about their safety. I would have never gotten any sleep if I hadn't gone and checked to see what all the ruckas was... I'd be wondering if my poor pet was suffering.

That stinks that your dad has allergies to cats. Do you have a garage you could put him in at night to keep him safe from the wild animals that roam around? Maybe he'd adapt to it and actually consider it his big cat house :D

I'm so glad you're kitty is okay. He is a beautiful cat.. so silky black and big. Maybe he was just defending his territory from that orange cat.

Members online

No members online now.