Buddy vs. Boogieman

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Yes, that's right folks, it's Buddy vs. the Boogieman.

This morning Buddy and I were outside playing and all of a sudden the pup froze and high tailed it back inside. I'm thinking, what in the world?
I call Buddy back outside and he sticks his head out the door but doesn't budge. Buddy does okay with his "come" but he wasn't goin' for this one. Finally he comes out but refuses to go past our deck (we have a fairly large backyard). I'm walking the perimiter of our back yard and I try to get him to walk with me... it didn't work.

For the rest of the day Buddy would go no farther than stick his head out the doggie door. I had to go outside with him so that he could do his business and as soon as he was finished he rushed back inside.

We have NO IDEA what has him so spooked. I feel so bad for him! Both my husband and I have walked the backyard and taken Buddy as far as he would go but have found nothing.

He stands inside and he looks out into the yard at the corner he won't go near.

We're thinking maybe a cat or raccoon or squirrel was hiding out and Buddy scared them off which in turn scared Buddy or that maybe the Boogieman has decided that he likes out backyard and wants to hang around!

AND, we have some rain after a few weeks after no rain and we have had a helicopter fly real low over the past day and a half several times so there are lots of strange and new things happening.

Any thoughts?

Nicole.

I'm just guessing here, but I bet it was one of two things:

1. A mean old raccoon, opossum, skunk, or some other larger animal. I can't imagine a squirrel or rabbit would scare him.

2. When he was in the corner, a loud noise scared him - like a helicopter, neighbor, car backfiring, etc. He might still associate the spot w/the noise.

Whatever it is, I hope he gets over it soon. From your signature, it looks like he has tons of fun back there!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, we know that he's REALLY spooked because he just peed in the house for the first time in who knows how long.... :( he refuses to go outside unless someone is with him. We're going to work on taking him outside tomorrow morning asap.

He may have gotten stung. That will freak a dog out because they don't actually see - or even smell - what got them.

Give him a little time. Let him see you going out there. Do a little grilling out in the backyard. Don't force him to go very far; just outside the back door and let him sit there while you go into the yard and cook out or toss a ball. Let him watch and get used to the space again.

Members online

No members online now.