Charlie

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
When I was younger we lived in a rural community and we had a neighbor named Danny who had 4 dogs to help work his cattle on his Dairy farm. He had 2 Rotties Tyson and Tyrease who were used to drive and guard the cattle. Then he had his Dobe named Crash who was pretty much security for the entire farm but if he knew you he was very sweet. And then there was old Charlie the Rough Collie who Danny actually never wanted. Charlie was an older dog that Danny had taken in when his elderly father couldn't care for him anymore. Now Charlie was not a friendly dog an actually only got along with two people myself and anouther neighbor Mr. Mooreheart. Anyone else Charlie was very nasty with I can't even count how many times I saw him go after neighborhood kids, the mail man, or just about anyone else. He even went after my brother and sister he actually chased my brother up on to the top of the cab of Dannies truck while Charlie stood in the bed growling and barking at him.

Charlie though loved old Mr. Moorheart I beleive more then anyone. The only reason we could ever figure for him being so close to him was Mr. Mooreheart was the one who helped Dannies father train Charlie from puppyhood. When ever Mr. Mooreheart was around Charlie was would drop to his belly and whine and wag his tail or simply jump and dance around him happily. Danny could never get close to Charlie at all. Charlie would follow Dannies voice commands out in the pasture working with the Rotties but once out of the pasture gate he was deaf to him. And so all Danny could do for Charlie was set out his food and water and ask Mr. Mooreheart to take Charlie to the vet when he needed it or bath him ect.

We never really figured out why Charlie liked me so much. I never did anything different then anyone else around Charlie. But for what ever reason I could walk right in the farm gates and into the barn to see the calves and he never once batted an eye. But instead would just follow me around happily wagging his tail and nudging my hand for some petting. In the winter time I used to make snow balls and though them and he would catch them smack in his mouth and then play bow and run in circles. He spent alot of time at the Moorehearts (who shared property with Danny) and would often be found sleeping lol or you would hear in growling in most cases under their front porch. He loved to sleep under there in the loose, soft, cool, comfortable dirt for hours and hours.

Sometimes when I would "run away" from home when things got really bad I would hide under that porch with Charlie. I knew I was safest with him I knew he wouldn't let anyone hurt me. He had actually protected me quite a few times from me dad and even bit him a couple times. The Moorehearts used to find me under their porch napping right along with Charlie my head buried in his neck. If Charlie wasent under their porch then he could be found in their garage once again napping in the doorway while Mr. Mooreheart worked on something. Charlie was so smart and strong it was amazing I watched many times Charlie out smart the old bull of Dannies or put a few cows or calves in their rightful place. I beleived Charlie was a type of super dog I never thought anything could happen to him ever.

But there was one thing that was foolish about Charlie. And that was the Moorehearts pond in the summer that was fine it was just a drinking hole for the dogs and a swiming hole for us kids. But in the winter it was just anouther thing for Charlie to brave and show us just how talented he was. Because when it was frozen over Charlie would run right over that pond like it was nothing. Even if it wasent safe enough for anyone to ice skate on it. I remember a few times I would test the ice while he would run across and my foot would break through. Many people said that it was just a matter of time before that dog fell through the ice and froze to death.

And one day old Charlie was finally made a fool by the ice. I remember I was out in the front yard of our home. We lived across the street on a hill from the Moorehearts and Dannies and you would see both properties rather clearly. I was about 7 at the time Charlie was about 12 and we had known each other and played around that pond for 2 years already. I remember looking over and seeing Charlie running around near the MooreHearts pond. I looked away for a second when I heard that horrible cracking breaking ice sound and the even worse sound of a yelp. I looked up and screamed because what I saw was Charlie desperatley trying to claw his way back on top of the ice. But the ice was thin and even with his weight the ice just kept breaking over and over. I ran across the street screaming for some one to help. I was almost to the pond when I saw Mr. Mooreheart come running.

I watched this man in his his late 60s run and jump into that freezing cold pond. His wife and son followed and stood on the band with me and helped pull him and Charlie from the water. The snow was deep and it was very cold out so they were both in alot of danger. But Mr. Mooreheart wasent worried about himself and just changed clothes and then he and Mrs. Mooreheart rushed Charlie to the vet. I wanted to go with them badly but I couldn't and so I went home. I didn't hear from them or see Charlie for three days and I figured Charlie had died after all he was old. But one day I got a phone call from Mr. Moorehearts son asking me to come and pick something up my mom asked for. When I walked in the door of their home I was pleasently surprised by a weak yet alive Charlie sleeping on an old quilt in front of their oven.

I didn't cry or hug him or anything I just simply smiled and sat down next to him and petted him. He eventually opened his eyes wagged his tail licked my hand and wriggled his head on to my lap. Thats when I did cry and I felt so happy and releived I did not lose him. I could tell Mr. Mooreheart felt the same way as he had tears in his eyes as well. Charlie slowly got better and we knew when he was getting better because he started to growl as Mr. Moorehearts family would walk past him. Eventually he was back to his old nasty self protecting his property and just being Charlie. Mr. Mooreheart had once said he would do anything for that dog go to hell and back if he had to. When he was asked why he said simply that he had made a promise to Dannies father that he would never let anything happen to Charlie to take him sooner then his time. Charlie passed away at the age of 16 and so I would say he lived a long happy life.

He wasent my dog but in my heart he was my guardian angel and protector at all times. He will always have a extra special place in my heart and always in my memories.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
That was a beautiful story and Charlie sounded like he was a wonderful dog even if he wasnt to everyone:)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
beautiful story that was beautifully written..thank you pixiesticks..that was a pleasure to read.;) :)

Members online

No members online now.