How much poo with evo?

I just switched 12 month old Cassie (lhasa apso) and 6 week old puppy, Roxie (husky mix) to Innova Evo. My question is more in regards to the baby. We've only had her for 4 days, but she was pooping every single time we took her out, every hour. She had very loose stools which I know is partially due to her age, but mostly due to the quality of the food her previous owners were giving her. She's been weaned for 2 weeks, the mama dog did it, not the owners.

Anyway, we put her on Innova evo and she loves it. I was wondering if she should be on puppy specific food, but the feeding chart goes all the way down to 6 week old puppies. Her stools are more solid which is good. She's going less which I expected, but how much should she be going? I ask because I know how many times and generally when Cassie needs to go. Helps me to know when I should be expecting her to do what, you know...

As a side note, I searched for this question before I started a new thread...MAN we talk about poop a lot! LOL

showpug

EVO is a GREAT food, but I am not too sure if it's appropriate for a larger breed puppy? How large will you mixed puppy get? I know for toy breeds it's okay to feed it to puppies, but larger dogs should not be put on it until they are done growing. I fed EVO to my pug when she was a puppy and she pooped about 3 times a day, but I got her when she was 10 weeks old. I know very young puppies go more often...

sheps4me

One of my dogs is on Evo and it's great, but I also heard that it's not appropriate for growing puppies due to the high protein content.

Large breeds are the only ones the EVO isn't appropriate for . . . Not real sure that applies to a Husky mix, especially taking into consideration what the mix is. Huskies aren't supposed to be large dogs. Any idea what size her parents are?

Her "poop schedule" will probably diminish significantly. My bunch is all once a day on the EVO.

I have no idea what she's mixed with. Her mother probably weighs somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds. I may be way off, she was still recovering from nursing 5 fat pups when I last saw her. At 6 weeks, Roxie weighs about 6.5 pounds, if that tells you anything. Could I supplement the evo with something? Or should she be on something different?

To me, that doesn't sound like a large breed dog at all. I really don't think I'd have a problem with feeding a pup that size EVO. To put it into perspective, when Shiva was 8 weeks old she weighed well over 30 pounds :eek:

I did a little reading on innova's website. I think she'll be fine on the evo, but I put a call into the vet today. They should get back to me tomorrow. I expect Roxie to be a medium sized dog.

Wow! 30 pounds at 8 weeks! How big full grown??

showpug

Mindy Miller said:
I did a little reading on innova's website. I think she'll be fine on the evo, but I put a call into the vet today. They should get back to me tomorrow. I expect Roxie to be a medium sized dog.

Wow! 30 pounds at 8 weeks! How big full grown??
I promise you your vet will NOT recommend EVO, in fact, many vets are against the food because of it's protein level. Remember, vets are VERY undereducated when it comes to K9 nutrition. My vet is the last person I would look to for advice on dog food LOL!

Funny you should say that, showpug. I just got off the phone with the vet's office. They recommended science diet... Brilliant advice. I'm switching right now (NOT!)

jxxlxxs

Reugar's Mom
Look for the AAFCO statement somewhere on the bag, it should say for what age dogs that food is reccomended for, something along the lines of "provides nutrition for adult dogs" or "provides nutrition for dogs of all ages"... thatll tell ya!

jxxlxxs

Reugar's Mom
Mindy Miller>> Haha my vet wants the new pup on science diet too...could it be because "HILLS" sent him to vet school?! nooo.... haha

Mordy

Quigleyfied
jxxlxxs said:
Look for the AAFCO statement somewhere on the bag, it should say for what age dogs that food is reccomended for, something along the lines of "provides nutrition for adult dogs" or "provides nutrition for dogs of all ages"... thatll tell ya!
unfortunately that still doesn't tell you whether a food is suitable for large breed puppies. it's just a very general statement differentiating between foods suitable for growth/lactation and adult maintenance.

I got her some innova puppy about a week ago. The problem is that I can't keep her and Cassie out of eachother's bowls. Can't feed them in separate rooms because they're both nibblers. I've just been mixing the two.

That Science Diet is bad stuff. Dogs got allergies on it. My sheltie had seizures. I switched to Nutro Natural and all of their problems went away. I am switching to Innova this week and want to know what I should feed them. Innova or Innova ETO? I have an adult female Ridgeback 73lbs and a 9month old female Ridgeback.

Members online

No members online now.