Housekeepers

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Has anyone ever used a housekeeper from Care.com? I'm interested in having someone come about once a week to do the chores that we'd rather not do. I'd only pick someone who had a background check... but I've never dealt with that site (and I don't know anyone else who has). I'd also pick a time where I was home so I could at least be in the house while they were there (at least until I felt they were trustworthy enough).

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've never gone by care.com

Usually we just go by word of mouth "Sally's housekeeper knows a girl..who knows a girl who is looking for a job" that kind of thing

I don't think we've ever done background checks either but all the "ladies" in the neighborhood are a tight knit, hardworking and honest bunch.

Our housekeeper has been coming to our house since I was a little kid (and she has NOT AGED!) lol

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Thanks, Fran :)

I know people who have housekeepers but the problem is they live a good 30 minutes from us. I wouldn't want to go through a company either, because I'd want the same person coming out every week. I'd want to KNOW the person who was coming to my house. Someone recommended care.com because they are all individual people who have listings on there. They have pictures, info, background checks, etc... as well as their available times.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
In all honesty I'm not sure if it's something I could even go through with. lol. I'd be afraid that the person would talk my head off or that it would annoy me to have someone in my house cleaning. I'd feel like I needed to help. lol.

It's just... intimidating trying to find someone I would trust to come in.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
In all honesty I'm not sure if it's something I could even go through with. lol. I'd be afraid that the person would talk my head off or that it would annoy me to have someone in my house cleaning. I'd feel like I needed to help. lol.

It's just... intimidating trying to find someone I would trust to come in.
Its always a touchy start.. it usually includes my mom following someone around for the first day or two giving instructions and writing 1000 things down
and it takes about a week of "Oh..this goes over there" "When you are done could you do this?" "please don't use that over here." etc..

its takes a while for everyone to kind of get used to eachother. How you like your laundry folded/put away, what to do with the dogs, which cleaning products to use, which things are priority ONE (laundry, mopping, sweeping, general cleaning) and which can be done every other week or so (dusting, couch cleaning etc..)

Is payment per hour or per tasks completed? (we do per task/to-do list completed for example but take in the amount of time it takes to do those things in payment)

Our housekeeper comes every day.. and my mom leaves a to-do list of what needs to be done on the fridge everyday.
this list includes general things (kids laundry, my laundry.. as well as special things "please clean fridge shelves, organize pantry, etc..)

finding someone where the language barrier isn't too much of a problem, who is kind, who is on time and works well

how do they get here? bus/do you pick up/drop off/ride with a friend?

Where do they leave their lunch? Are they welcome to eat your food?

Will she be cooking occasionally?

What do they wear? Do you provide clothes?
We provide our lady with clothes/shoes to wear. its not a uniform or anything but after a month or so we noticed her shoes were really worn so my mom took her shopping and bought her some clothes and things.. and she keeps an outfit/work shoes at our house.

Some people in my family prefer the quiet type.. they go about their work, then leave and are usually invisible to people. Some people prefer the "part of the fam bam" they come to birthday weddings, stay for lunch, come to weddings, know all the kids and are "nana" etc..

but once that initial get used to period of over.. everything is GOLDEN lol everyone learns to get used to eachother, the house is cleaner and adults of the household are SO MUCH LESS STRESSED

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I cannot get my husband to allow me to hire one that comes once every week or once every other week just to do a deep cleaning.
He trusts NO ONE.

But with our business having picked up, and him still working full-time, two children and two puppies, our house cleaning time has been saved for weekends. So, HEAVEN FORBID we have something we have to do on the weekends or housework won't get done.

I do dishes daily and pick up daily, but I rarely have time for much else.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Our lady comes every day.

She does big cleaning 3 times a week (Laundry, mopping, vacuum)
but comes everyday to tidy up (kitchen counters, swiffer/broom floor, pick up in the rooms, fix the beds) as well as cook dinner (she is a FANTASTIC cook)

the problem is when Maria gets sick or something (which has only happened a few times) we all go into a frenzy and are running around like chickens with our heads cut off lol

Its really hard to not get used to your bed being made with a heating bottle tucked inside for your cold toes lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We have a housekeeper that comes once a week. We found her through our next door neighbors. They'd been using her for years and had nothing but good things to say. We've had her for 2 years now and so far so good. My biggest concern was the dogs but I just put them up for a few hours. She comes for about 4 or 5 hours once a week.

I'd look for personal recommendations if you can.

Miakoda

I'd love to have one, but I'm in the "trust no one" category. Which is odd, because I'll be the first to admit that I used to clean houses when I needed money in highschool and when home from college. (No embarrassment in a job well done ;) ).

But the idea of someone coming into my home when I'm not there and doing "stuff" when I'm not there to supervise is nerve-wracking....even panic attack worthy....for me. And then if I am there and I'm watching, why the hell can't I just be doing it myself?

Thus I end up doing it myself. **sigh**

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I'd love to have one, but I'm in the "trust no one" category. Which is odd, because I'll be the first to admit that I used to clean houses when I needed money in highschool and when home from college. (No embarrassment in a job well done ;) ).

But the idea of someone coming into my home when I'm not there and doing "stuff" when I'm not there to supervise is nerve-wracking....even panic attack worthy....for me. And then if I am there and I'm watching, why the hell can't I just be doing it myself?

Thus I end up doing it myself. **sigh**
This^^

I actually used to clean too, and *might* be doing it on a part time basis again in the near future. As someone on the other side of the vacuum, so to speak, the only thing I really didn't enjoy was folding and sorting clothes. I actually don't mind folding as much as I mind coming in contact with strange peoples' underwear, even if it is clean....

Bailey08

How is Angie's List in your area? I have found that very helpful in finding people to clean my home (in two different (and different sized) cities). If you go with a company -- which I actually prefer because of insurance, etc. issues -- you can ask that the same people come each time. My current company automatically charges my credit card, too, which is nice because I have a tendency to be forgetful when it comes to paper checks.

Since you have a house, an Angie's List membership may otherwise be a useful resource anyway. :)

I tend to be a very private person, but I'm also a very busy one, so I have gotten over issues of having people in my home, doing my laundry, etc. It's too convenient for me to be uptight about. ;)

Members online

No members online now.