What do you consider a large dog, and what's a small?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Small: Chihuahua and Papillon
Medium: Border Collie, Aussie, Cocker
Large: Golden Retriever, GSD, Labs
Gaints: Fila, Great Dane, Newfoundland.

I, also, tend to generalize dogs by size and not weight.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Tiny: toy breeds
Small: 15ish to 35ish
Medium: 35-60ish
Large 60 to over 100
Giant: 100+
I think I most agree with this weight listing..though it can be hard to classify via weight. Mastiffs are generally considered giant breeds, but I wouldn't consider Bella a "giant" breed right now... maybe eventually, but not right now. :)

Paige

Let it be
Really Small Dog: 0-5 pounds
Small dog: 5-15 pounds
Medium dog:15-50 pounds
Large dog: 50-100 pounds
Really Large: 100+ pounds

I dont really think much in terms of "breeds" because of the differences within breeds and the fact that there are so many mixes out there today. I basically just go by weight.

Elissa
I think the same.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Since I don't weigh my dogs, and can't estimate what they weigh, I go by size, meaning height, and build...

Dunno... I just thought it was odd that to this lady, Boxers where LARGE dogs, along with GSD's, but Bella beside my dane makes her look like a Chi!! well, not quite!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Under 25lbs is small to me. I honestly still think Eve is "small" even though she's 20" at the shoulder, just because once she folds her legs under her and curls up into a ball, she fits perfectly on my lap. Only weighs about 25#

Over 60lbs is large to me. Over 100 is giant to me.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Chloe stays around 55 pounds (give or take a few) and I consider her a medium-large...

< 20 is small to me
20 - 45 is medium
45-60 is medium large
60+ is large
and over 100 is giant...

yoko

i dont really go off of weight. too many dogs are overweight nowadays. and so i could be looking at a 20lb chi and to me that would still be a small dog... albeit a fat dog but still small.

lol i have a really primitive way of measuring.
mid of my shin or lower: tiny
half way between mid of my shin and knee: small
between knee and about 3/4 inches: medium
anything higher than 3/4 inches above knee large
waist or higher:giant

Ilyena

Tiny: Chihuahua, Mini Poodle, Yorkshire terrier, Maltese
Small: Cocker Spaniel, CKCS, Jack Russel Terrier
Medium: Field Spaniel, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, tollers
Large: Most retrievers, Irish and English Setter, Doberman, Rottweiler
Giant: Great Dane, Newfoundland, Leonberger, Mastiffs

Actually, this is a little bit related to a pet peeve of mine. I've heard people say that they like the looks of boston terriers, but they wouldn't want a toy dog. Now, bostons are what I would consider small, but definitely not toy sized dogs. Their weight range goes from 15-25 pounds and its not uncommon for them to get heavier. I don't know if people assume they are in the toy group or what, but it irks me a little whenever I hear it, lol!

Anyway, my weight ranges go like this

0-15 ~very small
15-30 ~small
30-60~medium
60-100 ~large
100+ ~ giant

RD

Are you dead yet?
I don't know if I could handle living with a dog as tall as a Dane! I could handle a dog that weighed 200lbs but over 30-32" at the withers? I just don't know, my counters would never be safe again. (not that they are with the BCs either, but at least they aren't at nose level with our counters!) :lol-sign:

I would love to have a gloriously massive dog someday (big dogs are the best cuddlers!) but not until I'm sure I can afford the extra food and vet care costs. I met one lady whose Dane ate 9 cups of Innova a day. :eek: 9 cups will feed Eve for a week. LMAO

ACooper

i dont really go off of weight. too many dogs are overweight nowadays. and so i could be looking at a 20lb chi and to me that would still be a small dog... albeit a fat dog but still small.

lol i have a really primitive way of measuring.
mid of my shin or lower: tiny
half way between mid of my shin and knee: small
between knee and about 3/4 inches: medium
anything higher than 3/4 inches above knee large
waist or higher:giant
I think most of us who are putting up a "weight chart" think of dogs that are SUPPOSED to be that size fit in that category..........NOT FAT DOGS, LOL

I mean, Phoebe is a medium dog at nearly 40 lbs, but I could get her up to 70 lbs if I let her eat all she wanted, but I think she would still be a medium dog, just a FAT ONE :D Hahahhaha

Laurelin

I'm All Ears

Beau says: 'Whatchoo people talkin' 'bout? I'm a BIG dog."

Honestly in my house, it's separated into the small dogs and the 'big' dogs. Um the big dogs are 17 and 23 lbs each. xD

Members online

No members online now.