Freeze Drying Your Pet's Body

Dekka

Just try me..
I was thinking about this last night as I was snuggling Dekka. I can't help but think that these people had pretty shallow or one sided relationships with their pets. I mean if the lifeless shell can make you happy.... did you like your pet for more than its shell or was it the embodiment of something else?

If you love your pet for their personality, their quirks, their reactions, or they way they shine through their 'shell' how could you ever find comfort in the empty husk?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
All I can think about is the scenes from Family Guy and Scrubs...Brian finding his mother dead, stuffed and being used as a coffee table and JD and Turk just having that stuffed lab that they took everywhere.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
All I can think about is the scenes from Family Guy and Scrubs...Brian finding his mother dead, stuffed and being used as a coffee table and JD and Turk just having that stuffed lab that they took everywhere.
Lol I thought that dog in scrubs was hilarious! I think the difference is Rowdy (the dog) they bought AS A STUFFED DOG. He never was a real dog so they weren't trying to keep their pet alive.. they were just.. playing with a dead one lol which is think is much more normal IMO

Tahla9999

I personally wouldn't have it done, but I am surprised by how many of you are so quick to judge it as "creepy" or "sick" or disrespectful to the animal. People deal with death in a TON of different ways, that have different rituals, different things they do with the bodies, and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to preserve the animal's body and keep it around if it will make it easier for someone to memorialize their pet.
Agreed 100% with this one.

And come on people. We all are just a wee bit mad here. Some people are just more noticeable than others.:D

And I also agree that not everyone's coping mechanism is healthy. Some people cut themselves to deal with stress. However, I don't find being delusional as too serious of a problem. It isn't hurting anyone, and more likely than not there will be a day when the ''click'' happens and they snap out of it. It may take awhile, it may take years, it may not happen at all. Just saying as person who can take months to get over certain delusions.

I would never do something like this because I find the idea of having your dead pet in your home, eyes open and wide and as stiff as a board, terrifying. Honestly, I find cremating just as weird. I have a hard time getting past the fact that my pet or family member was just turn to ashes. There are people who tattoo the ashes to their body, and that is just ... I know I couldn't do that. I can't imagine having a vase full of someone or something you love in the living room just sitting there. I wouldn't be able to walk pass it without feeling creep out.

But to each their own.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I dont think anyone here was saying the person is wrong for doing it. The OP was asking every-one's PERSONAL opinion on the idea.

PERSONALY I think it is sick, disgusting, and disrespectful

StillandSilent

I won't lie here. When Puss, a blue Persian started to get old, I did consider having him taxidermied in a sitting position, then having gargoyle wings mounted on the back of him and using him as a Halloween decoration. If you had known Puss, you would have known that it fit him perfectly.
Unfortunatly, he died very suddenly and there wasn't any time to make that choice, so I can't tell you what I would have eventually chosen.

I don't know that I would want to see the freeze dried body every day, and, honestly, I hate dusting, so I probably wouldn't do it. Still, I wouldn't judge anyone else for making that choice.

The pet should be placed into a cooler and the cooler into a sturdy box. Any spaces in the cooler should be filled with crumpled newspaper in order to minimize movement during shipping. It is usually not necessary to include ice or freeze packs.
I feel sick.

WTF!?!?! There is a dog on there "Cisco" who has SUNGLASSES and HEADPHONES on. That seems so disrespectful and tasteless.

I honestly COULD NOT go into someones house if they had... one of these in their house and I knew about it. I dont know how to explain it, I am not "afraid" of it or anything, I've buried dead animals before, and I just pick them up bare handed... Its the whole "and over there is Fluffy on the shelf. We had to pts last year..." Its mind blowing to me. I cant understand why someone would do this... I get that they are trying to COPE but cradling a dead, stiff corpse and brushing its hair..... is just freaky.

I love my animals more than 99% of humans. They are my therapy and I don't think I would be here today if I didn't have pets. I went through some deep depression as a kid and my pets got me through it. I devote alot of time, tears, and love into my pets. And it would seem so wrong to take their lifeless body, ship it to a place where tehy put fake eyes in and "dehydrate" my much loved animal, and then set said animal aside somewhere so it can forever be "stuck" in that pose.... :( And maybe I am a little scared of the ones that are posed to look living.... and the ones that have... ear problems. Actually its more SAD than anything.

That said, I don't understand Taxadermy either... WHY do you need a deer head on your wall? What is wrong with a pic/painting of a deer instead? The whole idea of hoarding dead things for the sake of ...... feeling better(?) just throws me for a loop.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.