The dog musing/vent thread

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Girlie, I am trying to do everything I can for you without having to put you on drugs. But this makes me feel like crying. Parents aren't helping. I swear my dog is not the worst dog in the world.
You shouldn't feel bad if you have to put her on drugs. In fact you can always use drugs to help with your behavior modification and then see if you can ease off the drugs later.

I think Squash is having some trouble working out a high-bone content poop. At least I hope that's all it is. A sad, punky, whiny Squash is a really heartbreaking sight to behold. :(

God I'm such a baby when my own pets aren't feeling well, and Maisy is already down with what we think is back pain, so jesus I don't need this to be anything serious. HALP ME CHAZ VIBES.

My friend would like to know if it's possible to make a dog to drink from this kind of bottle: http://www.promotion.eu/en/leisure-golf/5198-plastic-drinking-bottle.html

It would be good if the dog could drink straight from the bottle if you are somewhere where it's difficult to use a bowl (Lotta doesn't want to drink from a bottle..). So, does anyone have any ideas? :rofl1: In case someone suggests, my friend doesn't have any liquid that contains meet, besides she's talking about drinking pure water.

My parents' foster was euthanized yesterday and HOLY **** the clinic screwed it up. They insisted they had to take her into the back to have a catheter inserted, despite being explicitly told the dog has severe attachment issues to my dad and does not like strangers. My dad is sobbing, my mother is telling the tech over and over to either catheterize her in the exam room or let my dad go back with her, and they were refused.

They hear the staff yelling at the dog and come out of the exam room to see them trying to hold a muzzle on to her face while at the same time trying to stop the bleeding from her forearm because they blew the vein. "Sorry, we should have listened to you." NO ****. Only THEN did they decide to use an intra-muscular sedative instead, despite being told beforehand that she should be sedated in the room with my parents.

So this poor dog has to die a stressed out death and my dad has his heart torn apart KNOWING how scared she was.

I am so mad.

Grab

Brooks got an unfortunate haircut, because I listened when I was told they'd done the cut before. Now I have to wait for his hair to grow a bit so that I don't have to strip him down completely nekkid. I'm not sure why I mind so much when I'm in a town where people shave everything down..including Aussies, Labs and Pugs...so I doubt anyone will have an idea that his cut is wrong. But it annoys me:rolleyes:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I like how Cajun thinks that she has time for sight-seeing while we're bike riding. Oh look, a leaf blowing by. Oh look a person in their garage. Oh, a bird flying in the sky. KEEP MOVING, DOG. Seriously she is more focused on walks! For some reason when she's at a trot, she feels like THAT is the time to try to stop to sniff the grass and people watch. Oy.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

My friend would like to know if it's possible to make a dog to drink from this kind of bottle: http://www.promotion.eu/en/leisure-golf/5198-plastic-drinking-bottle.html

It would be good if the dog could drink straight from the bottle if you are somewhere where it's difficult to use a bowl (Lotta doesn't want to drink from a bottle..). So, does anyone have any ideas? :rofl1: In case someone suggests, my friend doesn't have any liquid that contains meet, besides she's talking about drinking pure water.
(This would be a great post to have its own thread! You'd likely get more replies that way. These big threads are purely for random, simple posts that you don't really expect discussion about.)

As for the bottle, some dogs likely would lap at the stream if bit is squirted out, but I have a feeling more would be spilled than get into the dog.

They make collapsible bowls and "doggy water bottles" that have a small dish attached that are great options for travel/walks.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Has she tried one of these bottles?
http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...ategoryName=100138&CatalogName=36&SKU=36-7329

Or maybe one of these bowls that folds right up to nothing when you're not using it?
http://www.backcountryk9.com/Gear/Dog-Bowls

My rant for the day -
We decided to be lazy and just go to the close dog park this morning.

After about half an hour this woman comes in with a little dog. I notice that every time the dog goes near another dog, or a dog approaches her, she runs over and picks the dog up.

I later find out that she's going through a silent heat and the owner is aware of this, yet she brings the dog to an off-leash park.... I just don't understand people around here....

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm currently contacting breeders for what will hopefully be my service dog eventually. I've chosen to get a Xoloitzcuintli and keep running into brick walls with breeders. Some of them have amazing dogs, but the language barrier with a lot of these breeders makes it hard for me to discuss other important things such as health testing, what socialization is done while still with breeder, selecting the right pup for potential service dog work, etc etc.

I emailed a breeder asking a few of my questions and got back a response that they have standard size puppies due end of this month and if I would like to get on the wait list. Their dogs are nice and I've heard good things about them, but the fact that he avoided all my questions is concerning to me.

I'm starting to wonder if I picked an almost impossible breed to find what I'm looking for, but I know it's just me feeling a little discouraged right now. On top of wanting a service dog prospect this dog has to be female and I would ultimately prefer the standard size.

There is one breeder I'm leaning more towards. He is pretty set on wanting his dogs shown though which is fine as long as it doesn't affect me training my dog for service dog work, but the breeder is pretty adamant that he wants the pup shown if the quality of the pup is really nice.

On top of everything my idiot ass just joined an owner trained service dog group on Facebook. I introduced myself and mentioned that I'm still looking into breeders to find the right fit for me for a service dog prospect. A lady comments giving me crap for choosing to go through a breeder and stating that rescue dogs make great SDs and how breeders are just trying to profit for themselves and that no puppies need to enter the world while other dogs need homes. Great.... One of those people....

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Filling out entry forms for an agility trial, putting Miss Georgie in Excellent Jumpers while Payton is still in Open... so I stopped to fill out Auggie's and make myself feel better. MASTERS LEVEL. BEAT THAT, GEORGIE. OH YOU CAN'T, CAN YOU.

NOT YET ANYWAY.

PROBABLY SOON THOUGH.

SHOOT.

STUPID PAYTON.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
We're going to be watching a dog (and cat) for a week starting Wednesday evening. Will be interesting to see what its like having three dogs around! The dogs have only met once, but they got along very well and she seems like a good dog - here's hoping she meshes well and doesn't make me want to kill myself over the upcoming week. And that the cat and DH tolerate one another, as saying he isn't a cat person is a bit of an understatement.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Note to self: Shut the window before leaving.

I went to walk Josh to the bus stop and lazy Rigby wouldn't get up off the couch so I just took Cobain.
Once across the street I see her standing on the roof looking over the little 1ft wall at the top. I don't think she would jump....but then again I wouldn't be surprised with the way my luck works.

Thanks for the mini heart attack Rig

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Why do some people get really uppity about their dogs having a higher title than someone else's dog? Why does it matter if they brag (or in this case just acknowledge) about their novice title? Yes, everyone knows your dog has higher titles. But really.... them bragging about their 'not much work' titles has nothing to do with your dog. Perhaps it WAS a lot of work for them and their dog. Maybe they came through some sort of issue to get there. Maybe they can't afford to trial as much as you. Maybe it's their first title and they're excited. Maybe they have different goals than you. Maybe maybe maybe....

I don't get why people take it SO seriously.

'They shouldn't mention that title. It's not even a real title. It's not hard to get.' Blah blah blah.

Chillax people. Seriously. It's dogs jumping over PVC pipes. Not the end of the world.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Why do some people get really uppity about their dogs having a higher title than someone else's dog? Why does it matter if they brag (or in this case just acknowledge) about their novice title? Yes, everyone knows your dog has higher titles. But really.... them bragging about their 'not much work' titles has nothing to do with your dog. Perhaps it WAS a lot of work for them and their dog. Maybe they came through some sort of issue to get there. Maybe they can't afford to trial as much as you. Maybe it's their first title and they're excited. Maybe they have different goals than you. Maybe maybe maybe....

I don't get why people take it SO seriously.

'They shouldn't mention that title. It's not even a real title. It's not hard to get.' Blah blah blah.

Chillax people. Seriously. It's dogs jumping over PVC pipes. Not the end of the world.
Not really a "title" but it really irks me when people knock the CGC test like it's "no big deal" and "any dog can pass." Uh. For my dog it WAS a big deal. So shut your face. =P

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Why do some people get really uppity about their dogs having a higher title than someone else's dog?
BECAUSE GEORGIE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A REAL TRAINER
IT'S NOT FAIR THAT SHE HAS A HIGHER TITLE THAN PAYTON
DANG IT

*kicks rocks*

In all seriousness though, yeah, it's a game... supposed to be fun. Lighten up kids.

We can create a new thread if needed. So, should we create one?

My friend has seen bottles that have a straw on TV. You can pour water from those bottles by tilting them. However, she has seen those only on TV. They do sell bottles and cups that have a straw around here but they are different. You need to suck in order to get anything out of them. Dogs don't drink that way.

It would be good if the dog could drink straight from the bottle if you are somewhere where it's difficult to use a bowl
My friend might be somewhere where it's difficult to pour water from a bottle. If Lotta doesn't drink all of it, it may not be possible to pour water to anywhere except on the floor. However, one should do it. Water cannot be poured back to a bottle because it would get dirty easily. Then it would be easier if Lotta could drink from a bottle.

Has she tried one of these bottles?
http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...ategoryName=100138&CatalogName=36&SKU=36-7329

Or maybe one of these bowls that folds right up to nothing when you're not using it?
http://www.backcountryk9.com/Gear/Dog-Bowls
It doesn't make any difference that what kind of bowl it is and is it attached to a bottle.

So, is it possible to get a dog drink from a bottle? Lotta doesn't want to drink from it. It doesn't help if my friend pours water from it.
So, does anyone have any ideas? :rofl1: In case someone suggests, my friend doesn't have any liquid that contains meat, besides she's talking about drinking pure water.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No, my dogs would not want to drink directly from the bottle. I think a lot of dogs would be worried that you were going to pour the water on them or that the stream of water was going to get them wet.

Those collapsible bowls fold up into nothing. You could just put one in your pocket.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
It's weird having a dog that watches tv. Last night Rig was fascinated with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. She could barely keep her eyes open, but she was so fascinated with the movie.

She got left at home while Coby got to hang out at the bar with us
Ah the perks of living in a crappy area...

Gage will, and loves. To, have water poured from a bottle into his mouth, but he's huge and even still it makes a mess because he has no lips to stop it from pouring from the sides of his mouth.
Could Lotta be trained to drink from something like this?

Members online

No members online now.