wtf is that supposed to mean.. "wrong kind of person for this breed"

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
so I took my friends dog out for a bit of a walk (we are both feeling kind of cramped in this tiny dorm) and we get to the park and play for a little bit and notice someone else is there with an australian shepherd.

I say hi, and say what a cute dog she has. (and im kind of embarrased because I didn't notice her there and was baby talking and playing with a tennis ball and being silly and having fun with the dog)

and she looks at my friends dog and says
"Is that english shepherd yours?"

I say no, that shes a friends dog.
and I KID YOU NOT, she says
"Ohh that's what I thought. You don't seem like the right person for that kind of dog"

So I'm just like "Well we get along fine"
and she says.. I KID YOU NOT.
"Those dogs need serious work and serious people"

I just walked away.
wtf is that supposed to even MEAN?? Me and this dog get along fine, I've been caring for him for two days and he doesn't mind that I'm not "serious" ! or that he doesn't have a serious "job"

I'm sick of people telling me what I am or am not capable of. Yea, he does require more exercise than any other dog I've had. but I've been doing that, and we have been getting along just fine! Hes different than any other dog I've ever had but I'd LOVE to have a dog like him and now I feel like its WRONG of me to feel that way, like I'm not the "right kind of person" for this breed or something.
I didn't even know breeds had "right kinds of people", I think a person willing to make an effort and do what needs to be done to keep a dog happy is the "right kind of person" !
and she didn't even know me! who is she to say what kind of person I am?

Sure, I live in a city and I'm not a serious person, I babytalk and like to play and laugh. but does that really mean that I'm somehow some kind of incompetent "kind of person" INCAPABLE of owning ENTIRE breeds??

Last edited:

Romy

Taxiderpy
What a jerk. Like someone can tell what kind of person someone is and what activities they do with their dog within a few minutes of first meeting them. :rolleyes:

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I think I would have outright laughed at that comment--like this person REALLY knows you or something? LOL--would love to know what kind of dog they thought was right for you! ROFL!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I get weird looks when people find out I have toy dogs. Apparently you need to be really girly and all that to enjoy little dogs. Oh and if you want to do serious dog sports then by no means should you have a toy dog. lol

Oookay. Whatever. :p

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Well I agree in the way that a Mal is NOT a good dog for my grandparents. They like small, calm lap dogs and their chosen breed is the Bichon Frise.

But what a rude person making that judgment, which is first of all none of her business, and second, within what, minutes of just watching you with the dog? :confused: :rolleyes:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I get weird looks when people find out I have toy dogs. Apparently you need to be really girly and all that to enjoy little dogs. Oh and if you want to do serious dog sports then by no means should you have a toy dog. lol

Oookay. Whatever. :p
I get the same reaction when I say I have a chi. And chis are one of the ultimate purse dogs. :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I used to have a lot of fun walking around dressed in all black with skulls and stuff on my clothes (I went through a phase lmao) and then walking my little floofy dog in pink. I got strange looks that way but it was hilarious.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
LOL Laur - that is AWESOME!

Everyone's surprised when I say I have a dog in schutzhund - I kinda like surprising people like that. ;) And in schutzhund I think a lot of people have been surprised at how well Kes is doing - yay for breaking stereotypes!!

elegy

overdogged
I used to have a lot of fun walking around dressed in all black with skulls and stuff on my clothes (I went through a phase lmao) and then walking my little floofy dog in pink. I got strange looks that way but it was hilarious.
i always enjoyed walking my miniature poodle alongside my pit bull. it messed with peoples' heads and blew two stereotypes out of the water in one go.

lizzybeth727

When I taught training classes, I got pretty good at guessing somebody's chosen breed within a few minutes of meeting them. At least I'd get close.... toy breed, sight hound, etc.

I did a presentation today for a local rescue group - 25 dogs and their fosters/owners, all the same breed - and it amazed me how the people definately all fit into a "type."

I totally think your personality is going to dictate what breeds you're drawn toward... which is why, Fran, you've never really been drawn to English shepherds before. It's not that you couldn't possibly like a dog of a breed outside of your "type," it's just that you probably wouldn't be drawn toward them enough to go out and get one.

I also like borrowing a friend's dog - for example, my friend's pit bull, or my other friend's ACD - and spending the day with the dog. It's amazing that people treat you differently if you have a different breed. Actually, I've always felt a little funny with Luna, because I'm not a chihuahua person.... As much as I LOVE Luna, I don't like people thinking that chihuahuas are my "type." I actually feel more like myself when I have my collie with me.

Random ramblings, I wonder if that makes any sense....

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I didn't realize that was weird - my clothes STILL have skulls on them (albeit they're mostly hot pink and black), I have kinda odd earrings, and my dogs are always, always, ALWAYS in pink.

Picklepaige

Hm...I wonder what people are going to think of me. I get along with, and want lol, pretty much ALL "types" of dogs.

I can see myself having a chihuahua, a pit bull, a lab, a rottweiler, and a basset, all at once :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
For the record, I don't plan on getting an ES lol because someone ( I guess from here) asked on my tumblr

I'm a college student, who is about to move into a 400 sq/ft apartment in the city lol
I do love english shepherds now, lovely dogs.. but not right for me at this time in my life. They are active working herding dogs..and although I'm sure there are exceptions, I'm not ready to take that on. its just fun to research :) and babysit! lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Now I want to know what breed I look like I should own lol. I love papillons more than anything else but they're not a breed I'd have picked out for myself. They still fit extremely well though. The breeds I tend to pick out for myself are all herding type dogs.

Now I want to know what breed I look like I should own lol.
Same here, I want to know what someone who looks at me thinks I would own.

Fran, regardless of whether you "look" like someone who would own an ES that was completely out of line, condescending and rude. I wouldn't even know waht to say to that

Good for you just walking away

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
LOL, same here. I want that lady to look at me and tell me which breed I should have. :p

Paige

Let it be
Peeople make odd comments all the time. Don't let them bother you. I'd take it as a compliment. You just seem happy-go-lucky and full of fun Fran!

You know the fortune tellers at the fair?

Yeah, this lady needs to set a booth up next to him.

Sign should say "I will tell you what kind of dog you should have..."

But there needs to be some fine print... that explains that this lady needs to GET A LIFE.

But I am curious.... wonder what kind of dog she thinks I should have? Lmao.

Members online

No members online now.