Question about GSD's.

Chynabell

A bi-colour is essentially a black dog with tan markings on the feet and under the base of the tail. Sometimes you'll see just a touch of tan on the chest and, cheeks and eyebrows. The belly and underchest hair will be black. Some dogs will have more tan up the legs, or larger or smaller chest and face splashes. Bi-colour is actually a pattern, seen in other dogs, such as Dobermans and Rotties.

panzer426

I just checked my first gsd's papers (had to find them in the back of the filing cabinet). I got him when he was 9 months old and he was registered as a bi-color, looked somewhere between your dog Julie and DanL's dog. I am not arguing with anyone, just going by what I have been told by people I respect who could be wrong. I can say that my first gsd was in a couple of shows but they were not akc shows, they were fun shows at schutzhund events (the judges were akc judges and akc show handlers) and there was never any arguments or questions about his registration/color.
like I said, contact a AKC representative and email them a picture and ask what they would call him/her. if you ask 4 of them you will probably get atleast 2 different answers...atleast thats how it seems to me from everything I have ever been told in my 15 years in GSD's.

DanL

It seems logical that a bi-color would have only 2 colors, hence the name, bi-color. :) Black and tan is probably more generic and covers a dog like mine who is mostly black and tan but has the silvery hair on his chest and belly and inside of his legs. I'm pretty sure mine is marked as black and tan on his papers.

Chynabell

Bi-Colour is a pattern in which the 'saddle' covers most of the body, leaving markings only on feet and sometimes face. Here's a couple of pictures of bi-colour GSDs.

Jynx

Chynabell has described a bi perfectly,,and the pic above is a bi color..(and pretty handsome dude! *vbg)...

I still stand behind julie's dog being a black & probably silver...the other dog posted,,I would not say a bicolor, but would say a black & tan/red (also gorgeous I might add)

Panzer,,the sign in that pic gosh can't remember where I picked it up,,and yes, Dodge, in it, is rather a joke, since he wouldn't hurt a bug LOL..Dodge is a cross between ddr lines, (grandsire is zorro/sire klockow's wasdy import), and mom was an american show line.

I showed him for awhile in the akc conformation ring , he was my "reserve" king *vbg*..At 3, I decided I wanted to put his brains back where they should be and neutered him..He is my first bi color, and while I've always gone towards the black/red dogs,,I must say he is striking and I love the coloring of the bi's..
Diane

Members online

No members online now.