Border Collies - Tell me everything

Herschel

I don't think so. They are breeding to get a better worker for themselves. IMO, a BYB produce dogs for no good reason. These ranchers are trying to improve their dogs so that they perform better when asked to do a job.

And we must remember, this is where BC's originated from. Breeder's like these.

I have heard of dogs that do well in trials, but are completely useless at home and vice versa. Just food for thought.

~Tucker
I agree with you completely. Of all of the Border Collie breeders with whom I talked, the one that impressed me most was the woman that keeps BCs solely to work her farm. She doesn't care about winning the "sheepdog nationals" or anything. She just wants hardworking, healthy dogs. (She is extremely conscientious about health testing, though)

How many dogs did she have? Two bitches (an import and her daughter), and she was only considering breeding one of them. (The other one was "too old" at age 5, although she had one litter when she was younger) She wasn't planning on a winter litter because she and her husband were tired of taking the puppies out in the cold, and she was still iffy on a spring litter. It wasn't about "producing 2-5 litters/year", having a fancy website, or showing the dogs off in national competitions. It was about raising healthy, working Border Collies for her farm and adopting the others out to her friends.

I think some of the "I won ________ Nationals this year!" people are just as bad as the Sporter Collie breeders. What is the point of keeping 10 BCs around just to win competitions?

~Tucker&Me~

I agree with you completely. Of all of the Border Collie breeders with whom I talked, the one that impressed me most was the woman that keeps BCs solely to work her farm. She doesn't care about winning the "sheepdog nationals" or anything. She just wants hardworking, healthy dogs. (She is extremely conscientious about health testing, though)

How many dogs did she have? Two bitches (an import and her daughter), and she was only considering breeding one of them. (The other one was "too old" at age 5, although she had one litter when she was younger) She wasn't planning on a winter litter because she and her husband were tired of taking the puppies out in the cold, and she was still iffy on a spring litter. It wasn't about "producing 2-5 litters/year", having a fancy website, or showing the dogs off in national competitions. It was about raising healthy, working Border Collies for her farm and adopting the others out to her friends.

I think some of the "I won ________ Nationals this year!" people are just as bad as the Sporter Collie breeders. What is the point of keeping 10 BCs around just to win competitions?

:hail: :hail: :hail:

~Tucker

Lizmo

Water Junkie
^^ Good point. :)

I guess I'd just be very careful when going with ranchers that don't trial their dogs. :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
It wasn't about "producing 2-5 litters/year", having a fancy website, or showing the dogs off in national competitions. It was about raising healthy, working Border Collies for her farm and adopting the others out to her friends.

Oh, I wasn't saying that. Just that it's not uncommon to see a good breeder that does produce 2-5 litters a year.

~Tucker&Me~

But if you think about it...

That could mean pumping out anywhere between 30-50 puppies a year.

I just think that's a LOT.

~Tucker

Lizmo

Water Junkie
But we have to remember these are working dogs.

Do show breeders usually haev up to 10+ dogs? Have hundreds of acres?

I'm not trying to argue :)

Herschel

I think it's a question of purpose. Does the breeder have sheep because he wants to breed Border Collies, or does he have Border Collies because he needs a dog to work his sheep?

I like those that keep the dogs so they can work, not those that create work to have the dog. :)

Herschel

^^ Good point. :)

I guess I'd just be very careful when going with ranchers that don't trial their dogs. :)
Why?

A good Border Collie isn't one that competes well against other Border Collies. A strong, working Border Collie is one that can handle sheep to the benefit and purpose of the farmer. Just curious as to the importance of trials? It seems like they are another performance hobby, similar to agility.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think it's a question of purpose. Does the breeder have sheep because he wants to breed Border Collies, or does he have Border Collies because he needs a dog to work his sheep?

I like those that keep the dogs so they can work, not those that create work to have the dog. :)
I agree. Mainly I'm refering to one breeder I know, that does breed for the betterment of the breed.

Why?

A good Border Collie isn't one that competes well against other Border Collies. A strong, working Border Collie is one that can handle sheep to the benefit and purpose of the farmer. Just curious as to the importance of trials? It seems like they are another performance hobby, similar to agility.

Because, they aren't being compared and judged by other dogs with the same ability. Wouldnt you like to know how good a working your dog is compared to others?

It could also give you a chance to help improve your dogs working ability.

Herschel

Wouldnt you like to know how good a working your dog is compared to others?
If I were a farmer, why would it matter? The goal is to have a useful dog that serves a purpose. Competitions and rankings are pointless to true working farmers.

It could also give you a chance to help improve your dogs working ability.
That may be true, but if the dog serves its purpose then why would a farmer look to a competition to improve the dog? If anything, he/she would probably just talk to someone else that keeps sheep and uses a BC to help them herd.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I think it's important to consider the type of trials people are talking about. To me, the only trials worth a **** do not award "titles" a la AKC, so titled dogs really don't matter to me when I'm looking for a border collie. In fact, dogs with a ton of titles after their name might make me think twice about their purpose and what direction the breeder is taking their line. There's "performance" and then there's work. Sport and true usefulness.

IMO, in order to compete in the Open level of ISDS-style sheepdog trials, a dog must be a skilled worker capable of controlling a variety of livestock. Sometimes these dogs are required to work belligerent, heavy sheep that require a great deal of power and presence, and sometimes they need to work skittish, flighty sheep that require a lot of finesse. These dogs travel all over the place and work to a high degree of precision in strange environments. A dog that succeeds in numerous Open trials should be capable of doing farm work - which requires them only to work the same stock, in the same environment, with the same handler. A dog who never leaves the farm doesn't have to be versatile and flexible like a trial dog does.

I see nothing wrong with breeding farm dogs. I also see nothing wrong with breeding farm dogs that compete in trials. Amanda Milliken said that the border collie is agriculture's dog, and this couldn't be more true. First and foremost, the dog needs to be useful. Everything else is just sport, but sport can help breeders meet other breeders and get to know various dogs from different lines. Sport can allow people who aren't breeders to break into the breed, or determine which dogs/lines they favor.

As a puppy buyer, I am tremendously grateful to sheepdog trials because, in a way, they set a standard for good work. As a novice, I wouldn't know a good working dog if it bit me in the butt. Trials enabled me to get to know the merits of a good dog and also helped me develop my preferences in a dog. So they are useful, IMO. Then again, I got my dog for sport purposes - I wanted to trial her. I got her with the intention of creating work for her, not because I had work that needed to be done. Maybe people like me are turning stockwork into a sport not unlike agility, I really don't know. That thought bothers me a bit and it's something I think about a lot. The need for sheepdogs is on the decline, but I would hate to see such a wonderful breed fade to nothing. I'd rather see sheepdogs kept alive through sport than become nothing but a memory.

I wouldn't discount a breeder just because they didn't trial, because there are some amazing dogs out there that never leave their farm. I wouldn't discount a dog just because they aren't titled or haven't won a trial. But I also wouldn't scorn the trials themselves. At this point, I feel they're only helping the breed, not harming it.

/.04 from a total sheepdogging newbie

mrose_s

BusterLove
My dad rang me this morning and I mentoned I was looking into getting a working BC next, he mentioned talking to my uncle. Probably a good idea, my uncle isn't a huge farmer, but his Kelpie Smokey inspired my love for the breed (smokey's getting on now, must be 12 or 13 years old now :() his dogs are working dogs, he has cattle and sheep but also uses them to round up his chickens, ducks or guinea fowl. I admire how versatile they are.
So he probably does know some people with good working BC's. He lives down south but I am considering moving down there in the next couple of years as is so I can probably take him with me to look at dogs as he'll have a much better idea then me.
I'll make it clear that I defiently want health testing done on the parents, Harry was bred from 2 healthy working parents, 2 years old and he has the worst case of Hip Dysplasia our vet has ever seen, not risking that.

I've known for a long time if I do breed I'd like to breed working dogs, thing is. If I did I would be getting the stock for my dogs, not getting the dogs for my stock. As I have no interest in being a farmer at all, I coul never bring myself to send them to slaughter.
I wouldn't considr it though unless I had a lot of land and 100+ sheep for them. Still, that is probably unlikley to happen.

All this info is great. thanks.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think it's important to consider the type of trials people are talking about. To me, the only trials worth a **** do not award "titles" a la AKC, so titled dogs really don't matter to me when I'm looking for a border collie. In fact, dogs with a ton of titles after their name might make me think twice about their purpose and what direction the breeder is taking their line. There's "performance" and then there's work. Sport and true usefulness.

IMO, in order to compete in the Open level of ISDS-style sheepdog trials, a dog must be a skilled worker capable of controlling a variety of livestock. Sometimes these dogs are required to work belligerent, heavy sheep that require a great deal of power and presence, and sometimes they need to work skittish, flighty sheep that require a lot of finesse. These dogs travel all over the place and work to a high degree of precision in strange environments. A dog that succeeds in numerous Open trials should be capable of doing farm work - which requires them only to work the same stock, in the same environment, with the same handler. A dog who never leaves the farm doesn't have to be versatile and flexible like a trial dog does.

I see nothing wrong with breeding farm dogs. I also see nothing wrong with breeding farm dogs that compete in trials. Amanda Milliken said that the border collie is agriculture's dog, and this couldn't be more true. First and foremost, the dog needs to be useful. Everything else is just sport, but sport can help breeders meet other breeders and get to know various dogs from different lines. Sport can allow people who aren't breeders to break into the breed, or determine which dogs/lines they favor.

As a puppy buyer, I am tremendously grateful to sheepdog trials because, in a way, they set a standard for good work. As a novice, I wouldn't know a good working dog if it bit me in the butt. Trials enabled me to get to know the merits of a good dog and also helped me develop my preferences in a dog. So they are useful, IMO. Then again, I got my dog for sport purposes - I wanted to trial her. I got her with the intention of creating work for her, not because I had work that needed to be done. Maybe people like me are turning stockwork into a sport not unlike agility, I really don't know. That thought bothers me a bit and it's something I think about a lot. The need for sheepdogs is on the decline, but I would hate to see such a wonderful breed fade to nothing. I'd rather see sheepdogs kept alive through sport than become nothing but a memory.

I wouldn't discount a breeder just because they didn't trial, because there are some amazing dogs out there that never leave their farm. I wouldn't discount a dog just because they aren't titled or haven't won a trial. But I also wouldn't scorn the trials themselves. At this point, I feel they're only helping the breed, not harming it.

/.04 from a total sheepdogging newbie
:hail: :hail: Thats exactly the kind of trial I'm talking about.

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Mrose - the Border Collie Boards (run by the US Border Collie Club) just put this up to help those trying to sift through the myriads of breeders out there. Some of it is slightly US oriented (I assume you are in Australia?) but the marks of a good breeder still apply. http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=15117

Also, re: your dog's working parents who were two. In the working/ISDS trialing Border Collie world, those dogs were still babies.

Re: "My dog won the National Finals." The Open trialing system has several functions, which have shaped the breed since before there was a breed.

First and foremost, it allows people to view potential breeding dogs in a way that tests them far beyond their normal farm work. Although farm work is difficult in many ways, it does not hold the farm dog to a standard, nor does it pit the dog against peers in a way that easily allows the casual outsider to see the dog's strengths and weaknesses on that day's situations. As a potential puppy buyer, I can go to a certain trial where I know the sheep and environment will be similar to mine, and note which dogs do well and how exactly they excel (how handled, what they did to work the sheep through the course, whether their best work was out bye or at hand).

Second, the trials maintain a high "bar" against which the level of working ability in the breed overall, can be measured. Open trials may be derided as "impractical" by those who choose to take a pass on them in favor of simply breeding what works for them. However, the ISDS style course tests abilities that DO translate to practical farm work. They reward a dog that can read the intents of stock down to a hair's breadth, has a certain very high level of natural abilities like outrunning and balance, is biddable, and has a high degree of impulse control.

Most of all, a dog that wins in trials must display the highest degree of balance in all aspects. Trials keep the breed from extremes that are desconstructive to work. A dog cannot be too shy to travel, too prey driven to listen to fidgety commands, too sensitive to take training pressure, and of course must be incredibly sound. Health is a huge issue for serious competitors. The dogs must not only hold up physically the three to four years it takes just to get a dog to Open or to the level they want (for the Big Hats), but they also must have the mental capacity to take a tough training schedule, travel, interaction with numerous people other than their handlers, and sometimes different trainers and even owners.

Health affects the working Border Collie in surprising ways. We had a dog that seemed to have all the "right stuff" to compete at a young age. In another venue he would have been racking up advanced titles by the time he was two. But his owner/trainer kept hitting a wall where he seemed to check out mentally, ever so slightly. On very tough sheep, in situations where he had to do a whole lot of work to do something simple - the dog seemed to be saying, "This ain't worth it!"

He knew that he wasn't going to make it and decided to sell him on. He had Doug's hips done and found out that not only did he have mild dysplasia in one hip, but he had arthritic damage in the other hip from compensating. He also tested his eyes and although there was no genetic flaw, he had a condition where his body is less able to get rid of oxidants and they built up in his eyes and caused retinal damage.

He would have then had him put down if we hadn't offered to take him. To that guy, there was no question of making money off him, breeding, or even trying to make a pet of him. He was not up to snuff and did not need to take up space in the world. Yes, that's a harsh philosophy, but it's one that made the Border Collie what it is today. I believe he was right, today, in fact. We love Doug to death, but taking him meant that we no longer had space for a healthy, well-bred dog in our household (he was not Doug's breeder, by the way!).

Not every breeder needs to trial. But they should not belittle the trial system. And they should recognize that it offers balance to their own programs and a pool of potential outcrossing genetics. And the whole question of dogs for sheep or sheep for dogs is a moot one. Once you've got sheep, if you are honest about what you are doing, you are a shepherd and the chicken or the egg question doesn't come into it. Some people DO have sheep as dog toys. It's pretty easy to spot them. They can't tell you anything about their plans for the sheep, production goals, maintenance plans.

Farm dogs (true farm dogs, those who work for-profit livestock operations) tend to be highly reliant on natural ability, routine, and don't like their "cheese moved" in corporate parlance.

On the other hand, trialing tends to favor dogs who are more biddable, and it's tempting to choose dogs that will allow you to think for them, if you excel at reading stock (or think you do). But those are what they call "Saturday dogs" overseas. Dogs who consistently place at the top (with a few exceptions), and who will be the dogs who produce future top level workers, are the dogs who combine farm dog abilities with a trainable temperament. They have the genetic potential to produce anything from useful farm dogs up to top trial winners. They can improve merely competant workers and their genetics ensure that the range of the next generation goes from "useful" to "outstanding" rather than dropping below that (assuming they throw no unexpected flaws).

Two things keep a breeder honest. One is farming for profit. The other is competition in trials. I believe personally that one can depend somewhat on the first only, or the two together (that's ideal for the serious breeder), but obviously never the second only. Farming is the keel of the breed, but trialing is the rudder.

On the subject of quantity of pups. There's only a couple breeders in the entire world that I'd trust to produce more than a couple litters a year, and be able to keep track of the results of what they do. One is plenty for most people, really - if you are breeding to produce working dogs for yourself. The other breeders I mentioned have such outstanding breeding programs that their pups are in extremely high demand - thus they can easily ascertain that their pups are maintaining the correct level of abilities.

Just to clarify again, in the ISDS style trial systems, there are no titles awarded other than National, International, and World Champions (and reserve, but people rarely care about that - about as much as reserve Miss America - "In the event she is unable to fulfil her duties, blah, blah"). Border Collies are a big fish in a little pond when it comes to earning titles, so just because the parents have a bunch of titles - it's really meaningless. Yawn, another MACH BC. HIT on A course sheep? - well, duh. What you want to see is what type of work the breeder needs to do with the Border Collies they breed and how they go about making sure they are producing dogs that will contribute to that. The ISDS style trials should factor into it somehow, but if they don't, make sure the breeder has a good reason (and, "i don't have time to pay attention to that stuff" isn't a good reason - that's like a Crested breeder who doesn't have time to pay attention to the breed ring). They should still understand and follow the trials, and be open to the idea of outcrossing to that gene pool. Minimally.

Last edited:

Members online