Has anyone heard of TEKS KENNELS in Cloverdale, IN?

adojrts

Well, we all agree, that its frustrating to those who have been victims to those who work so hard at trying to stop these people and to those who do rescue. Actually frustrating is such an under statement.
I apologize for my first harsh post, it doesn't change how I feel or what I think, but to have stated it that way certainly wasn't right.
There are ethical breeders out there that don't help the cause, because they don't take the time to educate people and they don't return calls or emails.
T.V and commericals certainly don't help, there are so many programs or commerials that show someone purchasing a puppy from a pet store and how many advertizments have we all seen of a puppy hanging in a Christmass stocking??
Hell, even Oprah gave a litter away on T.V!! (didn't see the show but heard about it), what kind of message is that giving all the millions that watch and live by what she does and says???? Good grief.
Bob Baker and the Price is Right, did so much for Spaying and Neutering.........why can't someone else help to direct people to the right place to purchase a puppy. Oprah would be perfect, but repeated emails on this subject goes unanswered.
I'll tell you, if I ever win the lotto, it will be my goal to STOP people like this Tammy person. Because obscene amounts of money paves the way.
Saint, thanks for coming to my defense, for understanding and for making your point of view so well written.

Last edited:
I am a 40 something year old married woman who has never had a dog as an adult!!! I waited months, almost a year to find that right dog. I felt I did my research. But the research I was doing was, what type of dog fits my lifestyle. I researched & researched BREEDS, I had no idea about the crooked BREEDERS or so called breeders. This was my first puppy!!!! My baby boy had just left home & I needed another buddy.

So when I got ripped off, I was totally shocked. I am a very trusting person whose job depends on trust!! Trust is like my middle name. So.....when someone tells me I am stupid or doesn't feel sorry for what happened to me/us, I get very defensive. I live in a part of the country where TRUST is an every day thing. Trusting people comes naturally. I am just a little too trusting. But not naive.

I have learned through this experience, not everyone is like me. I have never ran into a crook before, nor have I had a bad experience in life, really. I have never even needed a lawyer until this happened. My life is pretty simple. But I ended up with the best puppy in the whole wide world. Of course I am a little bit biased!!! But if it wasn't for Tammy, I would have never ended up with the puppy I have now. Tammy was a big obstacle in my puppy search but I know I got the right puppy for me. I thought doing a big search would be better than looking in my own area. Turns out, my puppy comes from the midwest too & we both love it here!!! And we're not going anywhere.

sara59

I was ripped of by Tammy!!!!!!!!!

I should have found this web before I purchased a puppy from Tammy Gilchrist. She now pretends as if she is not from kritterheaven and sells puppies online. I have reported to the web I found her and now she cannot sell puppy on that web. But who knows..she may change her address and name again! I have the info that she is moving to Kentucky. So I have reported to the state of Kentucky about her and not to give her a lisence. Anyway, I learned my lesson....and I am trying to stop her hurting people and puppies.

I hate it every time I hear of Tammy ripping someone else off. It just breaks my heart. I lost a lot of money to her and had my precious little "POCO" die after trying everything to save her precious little life. I filed papers with the attorney general here in Indiana and did everything they told me to do, but nothing ever came of it. I truly wish someone could come up with a way to put this horrible person out of business. She doesn't care about the animals-all she cares about is the money. I'm so sorry for your loss and still feel the loss for my precious little one and she's been gone a year now.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I think the thing that those attacking Adjorts are missing is that as a dog community we have to remember that RESPONSIBLE pet ownership begins with education. I agree that this Tammy sounds like the scum of the earth, however responsible dog ownership begins before we bring our dog home---and this goes for both pet dogs and show dogs. I am so sorry that so many people and dogs have been hurt by this woman, but I am saddened for another reason and that is so many owners did not take the time to educate themselves about responsible breeders, puppy mills, puppy brokers, and back yard breeders.

I am not bashing any person who bought a puppy from this person because I believe that you all learned a very valuable lesson. We all have to start learning somewhere.

Please take the time to research who you are buying your puppy from. Just because somebody wants a pet and not a show dog does not mean that supporting BYB's is ok. Responsible breeders have many pet puppies from each litter, just because two championed show dogs produce a litter this does not mean all of the resulting puppies will be show dogs themselves, hopefully one or maybe 2 out of the litter will have what it takes to show. The rest of the puppies are sold as PETS! However, these resulting puppies will have been bred with the best health and temperments in mind. They come with health guarentees, and are cared for the best way possible.

Adjorts has dedicated her life to responsible breeding and to bettering her breed. You have to see it from the other side of the coin. Some people dedicate their entire lives to dogs, they teach responsible ownership, practise ethical breeding, work in rescue, etc,etc, etc. So when so many people come foward because they chose to buy from an unethical breeder it really hits a nerve. Each time a puppy is bought from a breeder like the one in question the demand for more puppies from these breeders is raised, and in the end it is responsible breeders like Adjorts and others on Chaz who pick up the pieces of the abandoned dogs, the dogs who need to be rescued because they were bought on impulse without considering the commitment of many years to come.

So again, I'm sorry that those who have encountered this 'breeder' have suffered so horribly as well as all of the dogs that she has produced. But please, before buying a puppy take the time to research the breeder you are considering buying a puppy from. There are alot of breeders, so if one doesn't seem right, find another. A good breeder won't mind you doing your research, a good breeder welcomes it!

:hail::hail:
Great post about this.

To buy from these types of breeders in this day and age is a needless act. Everywhere I look (shelter, HS, AKC) tells you how to find a responsible breeder. I even found one in my breed of choice 30 minutes from me and it is one of the hardest breeds to find a GREAT breeder for (American Pit Bull Terrier). So it is not impossible, it just takes work. And if you want a mix there is always Shelters and Rescues. My heart dog and the best behaved family oriented dog I have is a mix. SO PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF DOGS. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!!

UPDATE ON TAMMY GILCHRIST: They did a story today on Channel 6 news out of Indianapolis Indiana on Tammy. There were at least 23 new complaints against her that have been filed. It was bittersweet to see a picture of my precious "Poco" on t.v. Tammy told the reporter that she is closing "Kritter Heaven" down totally and getting out of the business all together. I hope and pray this is an answer to so many of our prayers, but I truly don't trust her. The cases with the attorney general still go on. You can go to www.wrtv.com if you've bought a puppy from Tammy and had trouble and let them know. If you'd like to see the story go to: www.theindychannel.com/station/15424409/detail.html You can also see a promo video at: www.theindychannel.com/video/15406462.index.html My little "Poco" is the one looking right in the camera in the blue bed.

On the channel 6 website you can now see the whole story that was ran. They did a very good job. They even purchased a puppy from her and took it to the vet and it ended up being sick. You can go to: www.wrtv.com or www.theindychannel.com and in the search line put in TammyGilchrist/Kritter Heaven and a page comes up and then click on search and you can find all the stories and the videos.

purple sue

Well that is the news I have waited to get for two years. I hope everyone that was in our group is reading this because I lost all your addresses or I would send each of you an e-mail. I hope this is true but I will still keep an eye out and I hope you all do the same, I just dont understand why I dont trust what she says!!! However if it is true we can all celebrate and be happy for not giving up, one down and how many more to go.

TEKS Kennel

Hello,

In 2004 I drove with my mom to Cloverdale, IN to buy a "pocket beagle" from this woman. Her farm was disgusting & she wouldn't let us see the puppy's mother. She came out with the puppy. We saw that the conditions were horrible & she had several different breeds. At the time, she used the name Tammy Gilchrist.

The only reason I bought the puppy instead of walking away was that I couldn't just leave her there, you know? My beagle was very sick and almost died the first week. She had "canine kennel cough." I named her Banshee and she was sweet. She has since died (hit by a car--her collar broke & we were at the wrong place at the wrong time), but I will never forget this woman. She was unfriendly and when she replied to my emails used all capital letters--she was odd.

I found this on the net--she's trying to sell huskies now too:
Siberian Husky breeders in Indiana

Teks kennels
Tammy Killea
Rt1 box 179A
Paragon, Indiana 46166
765-537-9826
E-mail: [email protected] <[email protected]>

*Notice that she's using a different alias now, too.

Anyway--do NOT buy from this woman. She's running a horrible puppy mill.

kellis18

Report Her!! Read Asap!!!

I just bought a puppy from her in march and she was not healthy looking but she said that she was getting our papers for her, we still have not get her papers, and we tried contracting her with no replies. I finally saw all these reports of her ripping people off. So we had decided to go back to her house and see what was gong on, she made up some lame excuse why she hasn't got the papers yet. But when I asked her about all these other reports and to see the mother and father(who she supossibly sold) papers, and she got real defensive and started saying she wants her dog back and she is going to sue us and blah blah blah! Well I saw that report on the channel 6 website and I reported her, right now she is still under investigation, so if you have had any problems with her report your story to [email protected] . She keeps your information private also, so you wont have to worry about tammy coming back and harassing you! Tammy also told me that she was not doing the rescuing anymore that she was just breeding them, she needs to be shut down, she doesn't take care of any of them properly, if I had all the money I would save every single one of them!!! Well if anyone wants to talk email me at [email protected] Thanks hopefully this helps some!

bubbatd

Sorry that you were taken in ! I wish you the best with your pup ! Please folks ...don't buy any dog on line !!! Go through breed clubs and rescue groups !

kellis18

Well, I found out more about our little puppy. Not only was she in bad health but we took her to the vet and had her examined, she has mange, cocidia, garidia, a hernia(which was visible anyways), and a cancer spot on her hip. So not only did we have to treat her for the parasites, we had to treat our other 2 dogs as well. Good thing I work @ a vet office where I get 50% off because for just doing 1 mange treatment and treating the cocida and mange I am up to about 200-250 and that is with the 50% off!! Just beware and we still have not received our papers, she said she mailed them last sat. but it is already friday and still no papers and we live in indiana so it should be coming soon I guess.

bubbatd

Wish you had seen this before you bought from them !!! Wish you and your pup good luck !

I just bought a puppy from her in march and she was not healthy looking but she said that she was getting our papers for her, we still have not get her papers, and we tried contracting her with no replies. I finally saw all these reports of her ripping people off. So we had decided to go back to her house and see what was gong on, she made up some lame excuse why she hasn't got the papers yet.
Just curious...you said you went BACK to this lady's place. If the pup looked so unhealthy to begin with, why on earth did you buy her and then wait over a month to have her checked by your vet? I disagree that a good breeder can't be found online, but a home visit should always be made by prospective owners and the puppies and adults should be clean, healthy, sociable, exist for a purpose other than just breeding (i.e. sport or show), and the breeder should be able to produce pedigrees, vet records, health testing certificates for the parents, and and of course puppy registration applications that would be available to go home with each new pup at the time of sale. Good breeders also protect their pups by sending each of them home on written contracts.

Buying a pup from a bad breeder like TEKS just to get it out of there does more harm than good. The only reason the pup was there in the first place is because someone bought the one before...

Debbie

kellis18

Well we bought her because my boyfriend really wanted a bull terrier puppy, we did not know much about the breed at the time, we did research on them but we never actually saw one before except pictures. We saw her ad and we thought she only had the bull terriers, how was I to know what all she had out there. But we went out there to look/buy her. We did feel sorry for her but we also felt sorry for all the other dogs out there as well. But since we drove all the way there we decided we would buy her. We did take her to a vet the next weekend(we got her sunday night and took her in the vet the following sat. morning). But we did not do a fecal or skin scrap on her. The vet just said to put her on eukanuba puppy food and see if she starts looking better, and we got some of her puppy shots. We had also talked to the news lady (after we found out about tammy) and she sent a picture of a puppy and just asked if it was ours and it was, she told us that she had been out there with the cocidia and giardia, and mange. So we took her to the vet and had a fecal done on her, it came back positive for all 3 and the cocidia and giardia were the highest levels, and the vet said that it came from where we had bought her, because our other dogs had not had it. But we still have not got her papers yet and this was about 2-3 months ago. She called us 2 weeks ago and said she had put them in the mail and 2 weeks later still no papers. So I don't think we will ever get them.

Update on Tammy Gilchrist

Hi, my name is Kim Townsend and I have been following the case of Tammy Gilchrist. She is very much still in business. You can view the two recent news stories about her at:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18049907/detail.html
http://www.theindychannel.com/call6/18148009/detail.html

If you have purchased a puppy from Tammy Gilchrist, or have any information (old or new) about Gilchrist, please contact the Office of the Indiana Attorney General at 317-232-6201, the Deputy Attorney General at [email protected] and Channel 6 News at [email protected]

Thank you,

Kim Townsend
http://www.petshoppuppies.org

POST YOUR EXPERIENCE ON RIPOFF REPORT
www.ripoffreport.com

I search here often to make sure i see about breeders that may have across the country scams..learned some interesting things about a boxer breeder that i have conversed with on different forums, and was NOT surprised by what i read.

S

Members online

No members online now.