Nancy Grace has gone too far

muggsies16

It's too late to do it before, as it's already happening and has been happening for a long time. So you have to move forward from here. What is the answer? I don't know. Banning the breed isn't the answer, we all know that the irresponsible people will just move on to another breed. Somehow banning people from owning dogs without them having certain qualifications before they can have a dog is one way, but it'd be a huge task to implement.
Yes, you are right. Now, how, and who would stipulate that law? I beleive with the laws we already have, don't stop them and a law of that extreme won't either!

All the have to do is move, and get another one. None the wiser! It happens each and everyday, No differant than the drug dealer, that has been caught time and again. He just gets up and relocates. No worries, till he/she gets caught again.

It is about education and restructuring humans and that won't happen unless they want to change. :yikes:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Dog aggression is normal for the APBT, and allowance for that must be made. True owners take that into account
Would you say that the vast majority of Pit Bull owners know this, or take much of anything into account? I think the real problem here is too many people own pit bulls,including many dog novices, who don't even have a clue what their potential is. Unfortunately, I also think they are in the huge majority, much unlike the folks on this board. You can't make a law that stops morons and irresponsible dog owners from buying pit bulls and keeping them from getting loose. You can't pass a law that forces them not to do stupid assinine things like leave a baby alone with four pit bulls. So they see outlawing them as the only other alternative. Maybe the real answer is in making breeding them legally extremely expensive, and making breeding them illegally horribly expensive, therefore making buying them equally expensive. I don't know the answer. But just letting people get attacked is wearing on the general population's nerves. From my view, I think these dogs are being bred indiscrimately without regard for temperament, then sold cheaply, and that is a major part of the problem.

I've watched Nancy plenty of times on plenty of subjects. She not only doesn't care what anybody else thinks, but since it's her show, she always gets the last word.

sam

Nancy Grace is just a mouth peice makig money exploiting other people's tragedies. Every story is sooo sensationalised. she twists the truth to get the biggest reaction. If I flip past her and watch for a moment I always end up with the same reaction- rolling my eyes and saying 'gimme a break' - too bad some people are simple enough to buy in to it.

mrose_s

BusterLove
GRACE: Jane Velez-Mitchell, did you just see those particular -- those pitbulls right there fighting?

JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL, INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER: Yes. Pitbulls fight, but...

GRACE: That was a yes/no. Can you imagine leaving a child, a 1-year- old child, with that?

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Nancy, you are absolutely right. That was a mistake, but it was a mistake made by a human being. We can`t demonize pitbulls because this father, as much as I sympathize with his grief right now, made some crucial mistakes. He had moved into a new trailer, and yet he let those animals in with his son and left them alone for five minutes. Now, these were animals that were used to being tethered outside, chained outside, which is something that...

GRACE: Do you see that baby? Do you see the baby? The baby is dead. And you`re telling me it`s not the dogs` fault
this woman just won't listen! she's decided what she thinks and thats it!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Ptbulls. you have willingly made them out to be vicous killing machines. GET EDUCATED! you can't possibly believe some of the stuff you said on your show.
you do relise any dog can be dangerous? you do relise a poodle or a golden retriever can harm a child right?
pitbulls were bred to fight OTHER DOGS. no handler wanted a dog that attacked them. these dogs were usless. they wanted dogs that attacked other dogs. which meant hat now, in the present. some pitbulls harbour dog agression issues. but a stable, well bred and well socialized dog shouldn't have a problem with humans.

please do your research before getting all high and mighty next time nancy grace. the things your saying are just biased and prejudice. I am 16 years old and i have researched this more than you did. AND YOU TOOK IT TO THE PUBLIC!.

also, if you are some producer or soemthign of the show. i want nancy grace to see this. or is she ignorant that she would rather lock herself away from ANY criticism?
thats what i sent her. i know its harsh. but i don't care this morning

Julie

I am back again.
I am not going to get into the whole pitbull thing........

but I do not agree that no dog is safe to be left alone around children.

Not that children should be alone in the first place!!!

Hypothetical situation of course:
Let's say.......If my four or seven year old son was lost in the woods, I would rather Rocket or Charlie be with him.....than totally alone. Yes I would rather my sons be lost with my dogs than be alone. I am a very cautious person, and would never allow my kids to even approach strange dogs (just read some of my previous posts in the last year and a half that I have been posting.)
I really do trust these two dogs with my kids.
I would never tell other parents to trust an animal around their kids, but in my situation....... I do.

elegy

overdogged
Would you say that the vast majority of Pit Bull owners know this, or take much of anything into account? I think the real problem here is too many people own pit bulls,including many dog novices, who don't even have a clue what their potential is. Unfortunately, I also think they are in the huge majority, much unlike the folks on this board. You can't make a law that stops morons and irresponsible dog owners from buying pit bulls and keeping them from getting loose. You can't pass a law that forces them not to do stupid assinine things like leave a baby alone with four pit bulls. So they see outlawing them as the only other alternative. Maybe the real answer is in making breeding them legally extremely expensive, and making breeding them illegally horribly expensive, therefore making buying them equally expensive. I don't know the answer. But just letting people get attacked is wearing on the general population's nerves. From my view, I think these dogs are being bred indiscrimately without regard for temperament, then sold cheaply, and that is a major part of the problem.
dontcha just wish sometimes that you could legislate common sense?

sigh.

but i tend to agree with you- the majority of the people who own these dogs are foolish and don't know what they're doing. they're not always ill intentioned- i think a lot of people end up with pit bulls by chance or because they're nice dogs. there are those who are going to "prove everybody wrong" about their pit bulls and i see these people get into trouble when their dog grows up and becomes dog-aggressive. and then there are people who own them as status symbols or lawn ornaments (like this guy apparently) and don't put the effort into these dogs that they need.

they're not hands-off dogs. you need to train them, exercise them, give them something to do with their energy and minds.

B

Bobsk8

I think all the people knocking Nancy Grace are missing the point entirely. I have been posting on this site for about 6 months. I have read more than a few of these "Pit Bull kills" stories .... since I have joined..... I think alot of us realize that we are not seeing anywhere near the same number of ... German Shepard or Fox Terrier, or St Bernard, or Labrador Retriever...ect.....etc... kills stories........

This seems to be an example of the old adage,, " where there is smoke there is probably fire" People can complain that the press is biased, that people are stupid and can't recognize a pit bull when they see it, that people are picking on the pit bull, yada, yada, but the bottom line is that these stories keep happening over and over again.........Sorry folks, but that is reality....and it upsets both dog owners and non-dog owners.

If nobody can come up with some kind of sensible solution to stop these attacks by these breeds, which apparently nobody can ( at least I haven't read any solutions on any of these threads) , then eventually the public and or the insurance companies will make it difficult if not impossible to own one of these breeds due to laws and insurance rates. It is already happened in some cities in this country and in Europe and I think you will see this happen more and more..... People better think of a solution, or eventually it won't be a problem anymore, because nobody will be able to buy one of these dogs.....

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
And if nobody buys Pit Bulls, then what will happen to the next breed that injures or kills someone? And the next? Breed bans DONT WORK. Period.

mamasobuco

Pit bulls have been around for literally hundreds of years. Their original ancestors were used in Roman times for bull baiting.

Here's more info:
http://www.pitbullregistry.com/Pit Bull History.htm

They are not designer dogs because they breed true (and have been breeding true for hundreds of years), have their own registry and breed standard.

Pit bulls were bred to be dog aggressive, not human aggressive. There is a BIG difference between the two--they are not interchangable.
Sorry, I couldn't find pit bull on the AKC site.

I did however find it on wikipedia and it generally said that it's not it's own breed but a type of dog and doesn't necessarily include full breeds.

You are aware of the fact that most children under the age of let's say 3 or 4are about the size of a full grown pit bull right? Animals in general don't care what you smell like. If they are bred or naturally aggressive, they're more than likely going to attack something or someone who is the same size or smaller than they are. This btw takes us back to my oringal comment regarding those who breed and own pit bulls as pets from ancestors that were pets are a whole different story.

elegy

overdogged
I think alot of us realize that we are not seeing anywhere near the same number of ... German Shepard or Fox Terrier, or St Bernard, or Labrador Retriever...ect.....etc... kills stories........
i posted quite a few once. people got all kinds of upset about it.

People better think of a solution, or eventually it won't be a problem anymore, because nobody will be able to buy one of these dogs.....
now that i highly doubt. nobody will be able to obtain them or own them LEGALLY maybe, but when has that ever stopped people?

so, just for arguments sake, say they did outlaw pit bulls everywhere (when pit bulls are outlawed only outlaws will have pit bulls?) and pit bulls are no longer legal because clearly they're nothing more than vicious child-eating monsters. ok. pit bulls are out of the picture.

they did this in winnipeg in 1990.

in 1989 there were a total of 318 reported bites, 28 of them by pit bull type dogs.

1990, pit bulls are illegal. there are 214 bites. 11 by pit bull type dogs.

in 1991 there are 275. 3 by a pit bull type dogs.
in 1992 there are 264. 1 by a pit bull type dog.
in 1993 there are 256. 1 by a pit bull type dog.
in 1994 there are 301. 1 by a pit bull type dog.

that pit bull ban really worked out well for them, wouldn't you say?

stats from here

elegy

overdogged

I did however find it on wikipedia and it generally said that it's not it's own breed but a type of dog and doesn't necessarily include full breeds.
that is because the pit bull is not an AKC breed. they took the pit bull breed and turned it into what is now known as the american staffordshire terrier. the akc is not the only registry out there.

the american pit bull terrier was first recognized by the UKC in 1898.

the APBT conformation site compares the breed standard of the UKC american pit bull terrier to the ADBA american pit bull terrier to the AKC american staffordshire terrier. lots of very interesting information there, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Of course not. You also won't find fila brasileros, argentine dogos, caucasian ovcharkas, catahoula leopard dogs, and hundreds of other breeds (many of which are recognized by other registries). AKC recognition does not make a breed.

I do understand what you're saying about poorly-bred pit bulls and such. I think a big problem with the breed is that they are so incredibly popular. More popular than people want to admit. For example, at any given time, 1/3-1/2 of the dogs in our shelter here are pit bulls. I wonder if anyone's done studies on how popular pit bulls are?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've watched Nancy plenty of times on plenty of subjects. She not only doesn't care what anybody else thinks, but since it's her show, she always gets the last word.
Nancy Grace is just a mouth peice makig money exploiting other people's tragedies. Every story is sooo sensationalised. she twists the truth to get the biggest reaction. If I flip past her and watch for a moment I always end up with the same reaction- rolling my eyes and saying 'gimme a break' - too bad some people are simple enough to buy in to it.
I just wanted to quote these, because a lot of people have said they never heard of Nancy Grace before. This woman is obnoxious and juvenile, and I don't know why any professional would go on her show to allow themselves to be publically berated by her. I mean, this line alone:
"Oh, you don't like that, do you? You don't like it when I quote the law. You hate that. Ixnay on the aw-lay."
should be enough to tell you what the character of this woman is.

Anybody who sends her an e-mail arguing why she's a stupid psycho bitch and needs to shut up (which I agree with, though it's certainly not limited to this subject), please at least run a spellcheck... it helps.

Elegy, I would just like to give you a thumbs-up, because you're putting everything wonderfully and answering way better than I could, and then providing stats to back it up. Well done.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
She is a very angry woman and there IS a history. I believe her fiance was murdered. I can't remember the details but it was a brutal criminal act of chance and she became a prosecutor as a result of it. A very successful one. She is a very angry woman as a result of her life experiences, for what it is worth.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
I would hope her life experiences would be to promote good in the world, not discrimination. Her anger could really be used for better things. Especially since SO many people watch her, just because of how intense she really is.

I think all the people knocking Nancy Grace are missing the point entirely. I have been posting on this site for about 6 months. I have read more than a few of these "Pit Bull kills" stories .... since I have joined..... I think alot of us realize that we are not seeing anywhere near the same number of ... German Shepard or Fox Terrier, or St Bernard, or Labrador Retriever...ect.....etc... kills stories........

This seems to be an example of the old adage,, " where there is smoke there is probably fire" People can complain that the press is biased, that people are stupid and can't recognize a pit bull when they see it, that people are picking on the pit bull, yada, yada, but the bottom line is that these stories keep happening over and over again.........Sorry folks, but that is reality....and it upsets both dog owners and non-dog owners.

If nobody can come up with some kind of sensible solution to stop these attacks by these breeds, which apparently nobody can ( at least I haven't read any solutions on any of these threads) , then eventually the public and or the insurance companies will make it difficult if not impossible to own one of these breeds due to laws and insurance rates. It is already happened in some cities in this country and in Europe and I think you will see this happen more and more..... People better think of a solution, or eventually it won't be a problem anymore, because nobody will be able to buy one of these dogs.....
As long as there are dogs there will be deaths. Someday they will come for mutts.

mamasobuco

Of course not. You also won't find fila brasileros, argentine dogos, caucasian ovcharkas, catahoula leopard dogs, and hundreds of other breeds (many of which are recognized by other registries). AKC recognition does not make a breed.

I do understand what you're saying about poorly-bred pit bulls and such. I think a big problem with the breed is that they are so incredibly popular. More popular than people want to admit. For example, at any given time, 1/3-1/2 of the dogs in our shelter here are pit bulls. I wonder if anyone's done studies on how popular pit bulls are?
I tend to think thers is another reason why 1/3-1/2 of the dogs in shelters are pit bulls. Maybe it's that people think they are cool if they have one and they don't know or care that they are being bred by byb's who don't know or care that they are breeding an agressive line. Then one day they realize that they may not have thought out their decision to buy the dog in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.