Looking 4 Help With My Dog Please....

kim1530

She is 10 months old staffie x Lab, I have tought her to sit, down, stay, and when we cross the road "Wait" and she will just sit and wait till I tell her to cross, (yes she is on a lead) but the main problem Im having is when I have visitors I dont get them often lol, but when I do she gets so highpo jusmps around sniffs there legs feet, of course I tell her off drag her away try to get her to sit and behave, but as soon as I let her go shes off doing it again, Yesterday my dad came around home put his arm over the gate to open it when she jumped up and cought his hand with her big feet and put a big gash in my dads hand, I feel so terable I dont know how to stop her from jumping up at the gate when people come around, I do have a hose head that she hates and runs off everytime she sees it, I thought maybe leave this on the otherside of the gate and get a friend to help me, Get them to come over at random times and pick it up and point it at her...just a thought I need advice on how best to deal with this situation :hail:

Maxy24

Have that friend come over to help but I wouldn't use the hose, she may start associating visitors with bad things and then dislike them coming over. What I would do is have someone come over and approach the gate. If she jumps on the ate the person should back up and wait but pay no attention to the dog and neither should you. This means don.t look at, talk to or touch the do in any way just let her flip out until she gives up on it. If she stops jumping the person should begin approaching again. She should repeat this every time. Once the person actually gets to the point where she can enter without the dog jumping on the gate you have to work with jumping on the people. If she is not jumping on the visitor they should pet her and pay attention to her. If she jumps up on them the person should quickly turn their back on the dog and pay zero attention to her and so should you since she may turn to you for attention. Again as soon as she sits or stops jumping for a second or two turn around and give attention to her and simply repeat until she stops jumping up for this session. You'll want to practice this inside as well.

As for her sniffing people, well she's a dog so you should allow it to an extent but if she gets really annoying you can teach her a command such as "go to mat" which is basically when you give her a specific place or mat (like a small rug) where you have trained her to sit or lie down on command. put the mat somewhere where she can still watch the guests and train her to lie on it on command. Then have that friend over, let her greet your friend and then have your dog lie on the mat.

I would really deal with the jumping up first though as it is a bigger danger. Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.