preventing jealousy issues

ok here's the thing. i just got two shar pei mixed with american bulldog female puppies. (about 10 weeks) they are arent agressive at all but if one is chewing a bone or playing wth a toy the other one will take it away. Are they just playing around, or are they jealous of the other one?

how can i avoid future problems? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds

It sounds like they are playing--my two dogs steal toys from each other jump all over eatch other and bite each others ears and legs and they are just playing--as long as the other dog isn't screaming in pain or getting scared I would imagine it is just puppy play.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Why did you get two? Are you sure that this is really what you want? In my experience the worst fights are between two same sex siblings raised in the same house. Shar-peis and American bulldogs are both notorious dog fighters. If you want two puppies, you would be much better off with a male and a female. Or, even better, raise one puppy and wait until she is trained before adding another dog to the house. And then, pick a male.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but did you read the recent posts from people about JRTs killing one another when left at home unsupervised? I also know of a person with two male Ambulls who killed each other when she was at home. She just couldn't get them separated. It's possible that these two females will get along fine forever. But it is more likely that you will have some scuffles, if not serious fights.

one of the pups was given to my brother and his family which live with me. (They're moving out and taking the pup with them when they go, i just dont know when)
then later on in the week, the breeder needed to get rid of one more before he moved, so i decided now was the best time for ME to get a puppy since i graduated early and im taking a year off to focus on my writing. Ill be home with the pups 24/7.
the owner only had females and a couple of males (which were given away), so that's why i got another female.
i know how shar peis can be agressive (i had one that passed away a couple of years ago) thats why i posted this thread, so i can find a way to prevent future problems.
thank you for your concern, and i greatly appreciate your replies.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
OK, it's a good thing that you are not planning on these two living together into adulthood. To prevent issues, I would not let them play competitive games together. No stealing each other's bones, no tug of war and a clear set of rules when doling out dinner and treats. Do not let them get into the habit of competing with one another and never allow them to try to steal the other's bone or food. I do not worry about those rules with my male and my female as I know that the female will not fight. Now I have added a male puppy to my mix and his rules are pretty strict- no getting on the furniture. This prevents conflicts over Marco's (the old male) favorite resting areas. No tug of war or toy stealing between the males. And I distribute food and treats by name. If anyone goes for the food on the wrong name they get in trouble. This prevents the wild grabbing for treats (and affection) that often initiate fights. I'll let you know how it goes once Zeppi hits 18 months or so :confused: I do not have faith that all the training in the world will always work to prevent this stuff.

lizzybeth727

I agree, when the puppies are together the easiest thing to do will be keeping all the "resources" put away (as noted, that includes keeping them off the furnature). My dog is notorious for resource guarding from other dogs, which is why I only have one. :) But whenever she's around another dog, I am very careful not to leave them both access to the same toy/treat/food bowl, and I have to separate the dogs when it's dinner time.

Of course, it's possible that you'll never have this problem with your puppies. But since they will not be living together for much longer, it'll probably just be a better idea to separate them before they start guarding from each other.

Members online

No members online now.