Need some training help with boisterous pup

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I have a just turned 2 year old, unaltered male Miniature Schnauzer. He is the complete opposite of his sister (who was my first dog). So I am still new to the naughty dog ways... and lately it has just been getting worse. Before it was just cute since he was a puppy, and then he grew and grew, and now he's no Mini... at almost 28 lbs and 15.5" at the shoulders.

When I get home he starts screaming in excitement, and circles and circles while doing so. He jumps up on people, doesnt listen. You can scold him, and he acts ashamed for what he did, then 2 seconds later he doesnt care again (he's been like this since day 1 mind you).

Training places cant fit him in for awhile.. I'm just not sure what's the right way to go around doing with him, and not having it look (to my other girl) that he's getting attention then all you know what will break loose.

Any ideas? Ive done NILIF in the past.. but he's so energetic and off the way (spacey.. is more like it) he's got the attention span of a knat.. like a kid with ADHD.

Last edited:

Maxy24

For the screaming when you walk in the door try turning around and leaving. Wait outside until the screaming stops then walk back in. Repeat until you can walk in without him screaming then give him lots of attention.

For jumping, when he does it just turn around, fold your arms and look up and away from him and ignore for a few seconds or until he stops, then turn around and give him lots of love (he'll probably start jumping again when you do this). repeat until he won't jumps anymore, then give lots of attention.

And only work on one of these at a time or you'll confuse him, If I were you I'd deal with the jumping first and the yelling later once he's all set for no jumping.

lizzybeth727

Sounds like a mini schnauzer to me! I guess you got lucky with your first one.

You can scold him, and he acts ashamed for what he did, then 2 seconds later he doesnt care again (he's been like this since day 1 mind you).
When you scold him, he doesn't feel ashamed, dogs are not capable of feeling that emotion. Instead he feels scared. To humans, fear looks a lot like shame.

Are you doing time-outs when he does something wrong? If he's, say, chewing on something he's not supposed to chew on, even though you've rewarded him a lot for chewing on the appropriate items (rewarding here is very important!), you can catch him in the act, and take him to a time-out place - I use my dog's crate, you can use a small room or tie-down spot if you don't use a crate or if your dog's not comfortable in a crate. They will not associate the crate with punishment, because time-out's not really punishment, it's more like a cool-down. Leave him there for a few minutes (5-10 is more than enough), and when he comes out of time out, hopefully he'll have forgotten about chewing on that item and will find something else to do.

I'm just not sure what's the right way to go around doing with him, and not having it look (to my other girl) that he's getting attention then all you know what will break loose.
No, sorry, I DON't know "what will break loose." Of course it's important that you continue to give your other dog attention when she needs it, but NILIF means that the dogs work for attention - if they do something good, they get something good; if they do something bad, the good stuff gets taken away (time-outs). If your boy learns to work for attention, the girl should pick up on it too, and they'll be much easier to handle because they'll always be thinking about what good things they could be doing.

Members online

No members online now.