Malinois Police K9 dies, forgotten in patrol car in AZ heat.

How can someone leave a child in a car? It's an unfortunate thing that happens all too frequently.
The patrol cars at my dept have alarms that sound when it gets too hot. I guess this one forgot to turn it on?

heartdogs

And, the sad part is that they make devices that will open the patrol car windows if the engine is off or the A/C goes out. This is inexcusable in this day and age. But for a few hundred bucks, the dog could have gotten out of that car.

Boemy

How can a K-9 police officer forget his dog is in the car?? IN ARIZONA???

Not to excuse his actions by any means, but a friend of mine in Arizona who knows the officer sent a message out for him......He was heartbroken over the incident - He was on his way home from a shift when he recieved a call that his son was in a horrible accident and I guess in the anguish of learning that, his mind wandered elsewhere. From what I've heard from my friend, the officer is involved with animal rescue and adored his canine partner. He's emotionally devastated by this, and accepts full responsibility. I think he just lost his state of mind upon hearing his son was badly injured. Again, not excusing or defending his actions, just shedding some light on the situation so it didn't seem the officer was some heartless villian. It was a horrible horrible mistake and unfortunately, the K9 paid the ultimate price. :(

Boemy

Not to excuse his actions by any means, but a friend of mine in Arizona who knows the officer sent a message out for him......He was heartbroken over the incident - He was on his way home from a shift when he recieved a call that his son was in a horrible accident and I guess in the anguish of learning that, his mind wandered elsewhere. From what I've heard from my friend, the officer is involved with animal rescue and adored his canine partner. He's emotionally devastated by this, and accepts full responsibility. I think he just lost his state of mind upon hearing his son was badly injured. Again, not excusing or defending his actions, just shedding some light on the situation so it didn't seem the officer was some heartless villian. It was a horrible horrible mistake and unfortunately, the K9 paid the ultimate price. :(

Wow, that does make me see the situation in a whole new way. :( Is his son okay?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
That poor dog. :( I live in Arizona so I've heard about it on the news.
Here it's illegal to leave a dog in a car. (Though it's not to leave a child in a car.)

My understanding was the officer does not normally work with the dog on saturdays so the dog is left at home. How the dog got in the cruiser, I dont know. From the link provided I would not be inclined to condem the officer.

heartdogs

Wow, that does make me see the situation in a whole new way. :( Is his son okay?
It makes me see it in the proper light with regard to the officer, but the department still bears some responsiblity for equipping the vehicles. A police K-9 is a valuable member of the team both emotionally, strategically and financially. If they can't afford it, I bet there is a group somewhere that would want to start a non-profit to provide that equipment just as they do the K-9 bullet and stab proof vests.

My understanding was the officer does not normally work with the dog on saturdays so the dog is left at home. How the dog got in the cruiser, I dont know. From the link provided I would not be inclined to condem the officer.
Blue- here is a bit of info regarding that day and why Bandit was in the vehicle:

Sgt Lovejoy had a hectic life not unlike every officer out there...
He had worked a full shift... then was called out at 2:30 with Bandit RE: the Chandler rapist and then he took Bandit with him on his off duty job just in case he got another call out RE the Chandler Rapist. He did that because he didnt want to waste valueable time going home to get Bandit.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Very irresponsible police man, weren't they taught in police academy about dog training & especially heat waves?

How digusting is that even a COP? The man of law who we trust to protect us etc

I hope Chandler got charge for animal neglect

Members online

No members online now.