Walmart removes Chicken Jerky Strips After Dog Death

Barb04

Super Moderator
Wal-Mart Removes Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips After Dog Death

Posted on Friday, August 17th, 2007 at 1:54 am in News for Cats, Dogs & Owners, Philly, National Dog, Cat & Pet Info, Dogs, Pet Food Recalls & Safety.
By Emily Huh

Itchmo comes to you when called.
A Philadelphia woman says her dog died after eating tainted dog food treats (Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips) bought from Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart has quietly pulled the made in China dog treat from its stores named Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips. There has been no announcement to the public as of yet. It is also uncertain of how many tainted bags of treats there may still be out among consumers.
A recall has not been issued. There has not been any information on FDA’s website. Wal-Mart has told consumers if they have purchased Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips, they can return them for a full refund.
Kate Collins said it is hard to talk about what happened. Bella, her two-year-old Chihuahua, died suddenly on July 31 after eating Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips. Collins said that Bella died within a week after eating the treats. Her other dogs did not receive the same treats and were unaffected.
Bella’s owner had the animal hospital do an autopsy and they found that Bella died of a massive bacterial infection. The veterinarians suspected it was caused by E. coli or Salmonella.
“The vet said that, going by her autopsy, it could have been the treats,†Collins said.

“The dog was presented to our hospital on July 27 for vomiting. She deteriorated rapidly over three days even with aggressive treatment. We suspected an intestinal virus at first, but when she continued to do poorly, we thought she had an obstruction due to a foreign body,†Jody Hoffman [Bella’s veterinarian] said.
Before the veterinarians were able to perform surgery, Bella died.
Hoffman said Bella developed hypothermia and sepsis. After the autopsy was performed, she realized that her first guess was incorrect.
She found an enlarged liver with round margins and no foreign body. Bella’s colon was a purple-back color. She said the symptoms and lesions were supportive of enteritis caused by a toxic bacteria.
Collins bought the treats at a Wal-Mart store in Boothwyn, Pennsylvania. It took her several days until a manager finally spoke to her about the situation.
She said the jerky strips were the only thing that was different in Bella’s diet. The chihuahua ate one jerky strip a day over a three-day period from July 20-22. After that, Bella began to stop eating. She had diarrhea, was vomiting, and her health began to deteriorate.
The company has not disclosed how many consumer complaints that they have received. A news station is reporting that there are similar stories from consumers across the nation.
Wal-Mart has issued a statement saying it cares about their customers and their pets, and has ordered the dog food treats removed from store shelves.
In a statement to a local newspaper, Wal-Mart said it directed all its locations to remove “all recalled Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading from shelves on July 26.†The company also put a computerized block on the products, so customers could not be purchase the products.
The company also added that it would work with the supplier to “assure that the highest safety standards are met.â€
Wal-Mart has also offered to reimburse Collins for up to $2,000. She said it is not about the money and that amount doesn’t even come close to covering the emotional loss. Collins does not understand why Wal-Mart is not making a public announcement. She wants other pet owners to know about the tainted dog food treats.
When we looked at online boards and forums, we found various customer complaints as early as 2006 about dogs becoming ill or dying from eating Bestro’s Chicken Jerky Strips.
Source: 6ABCLocal.com, DelcoTimes

digg_url = 'http://www.itchmo.com/wal-mart-removes-bestro-chicken-jerky-strips-after-dog-death-2321';

DanL

We got worried because we use the brand that Sam's club sells, Waggin Train by Adipet, but their web site says they are not related to the other brand and their jerky is safe. Phew!

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Now wait a minute here. I thought that people here tell me because I do not feed raw that dogs don't get E coli and salmonella . They have different digestive tracts. Now this is really not making any sense. I just don't get it guys really. Some one tell me how can this happen if feeding raw chicken is ok. When I said they could get this stuff I was slammed what gives ?

ACooper

Very good question Aussie, I have always wanted to know the answer to this too.

I have always hesitated to ask the Vet because I don't think I would take her answer to heart anyway.......the whole Vets against home cooked and raw thing you know.

If ANYONE has the answer to this PLEASE post it with the links for follow up. I truly want to know :)

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
All the vets I deal with say they can and do get it and now this I would like to know because I have actually considered raw to some extent and this is one of the reasons I don't do it.

I don't know either. I have been considering these things too. You know, wash everything raw chicken comes in contact with using bleach. I have been told that dogs don't get salmonella. I just cant get behind it , not knowing. Here is a dog DEAD of salmonella. I guess they do get it.

DanL

I always thought the salmonella risk in these treats was more for the humans. I agree, dogs are pretty resistant to it. My guys get raw chicken several days a week with no ill results.

I think you have to look at this case- a very small dog, given a few of these treats which would probably double or triple in size in the dogs stomach. Who knows if the dog had any kind of reduced immunity or anything like that.

I find it hard to believe that these treats killed the dog.

goldiefur

Does freezing kill e coli and salmonella? I feed my dog raw beef bones and I always have this hesitation in the back of my mind about it. I don't know what to think now.

sisco16

koda bear
oh my goodness not this all over again I thought the tainted dog food was over with I buy most of my dogs treats from walmart why caint we just have someone make this stuff in the u.s. anbody else notice everything being recalled is from china :)

ACooper

Does freezing kill e coli and salmonella? I feed my dog raw beef bones and I always have this hesitation in the back of my mind about it. I don't know what to think now.
Freezing DOES NOT kill Salmonella or E coli.......it must be cooked to a temperature of at least 160 degrees (the last I knew)

Top tips to prevent salmonella and E. coli:

Always wash hands, dishes, utensils and counter surfaces often while preparing and cooking all foods
When preparing or cooking raw meats, poultry or other foods, clean surfaces and hands with hot soapy water and use paper towels and discard immediately
Never use the same plate, tray or utensils for the cooked meat that you use for the raw meat
Separate raw meat, poultry, and seafood from other foods in your refrigerator
Always cook all foods thoroughly. Meats, poultry, pork and especially ground meats, should be cooked until the juices run absolutely clear.
Source :) -------> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997778/

Dekka

Just try me..
This is my understanding..if I can dredge up the links I will. But a healthy dog should have no issue with salmonella. The dogs system is designed to be resistant to bacteria, the pH of the stomach is much more acidic than ours (so it kills bacteria more effectively) and the whole tract is much shorter, meaning that any bacteria that does survive has less time to do anything.

Now a dog that is compromised health wise IS susptable. It is not something I worry about overly. There are more (so far) reported cases with dogs eating commercial foods than those eating raw.

DanL

Angie that is why I don't understand people who order medium rare hamburgers! Well done for me please! But my steak? As rare as it can be, especially if it's a good cut. 5 minutes a side on the grill. :)

S

savethebulliedbreeds

The dog that dieds symptoms sound very much like what Taffy had....enlarged liver with spots and such....makes a person wonder. Scotts parents were ALWAYS feeding her treats from Walmart.

I always thought dogs had tough systems;And I thought old meat with lots of bacteria was good for their digestion...thats why they would bury a big bone or hunk of meat for a couple weeks until it was ripe...something is fishy in china town.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
well if that is the case that a compromised immune system is the culprit as you say then again I ask why would someone do this ? How are we to know when they are becoming ill before signs show up ? Also granted it was a little dog but doesn't a larger dog take in more ounces of chicken or other meats thus evening out the amount of salmonella or E-coli ? Ratios pound for pound. This is just again scaring me off the raw just when I was starting to consider it. Thing is vets say they can and do get salmonella.
And as far as the country getting crap from China well when people start dying maybe then we will wake up.

ACooper

Angie that is why I don't understand people who order medium rare hamburgers! Well done for me please! But my steak? As rare as it can be, especially if it's a good cut. 5 minutes a side on the grill. :)
Ooooooooh! I am the same way, I can't stand a mushy hamburger, but I like my steak still mooing :lol-sign:

It is getting scarey to order it that way though.

I wonder what the bacteria load can get to on that sort of thing. If its not prepared well, I'd imagine it can be a lot higher than a typical piece of meat. What was the condition of the meat prior to drying? I'd imagine meat originating in china, for dogs, might not be the best. Then if its not stored well, or left too long, it could get rather bad.

If raw meat has been frozen the entire time the chances of a bacterial bloom is a bit less than something shipped internationally.

Furthermore...

I don't understand how the vet could say that it "could be cause by salmonella or e-coli." It either is or is not, and I suspect a test exists that could identify which bacteria it was at the very least.

Members online

No members online now.