Dog Runsaway on Approach

emc

I've noticed that a common problem in dogs is that if they are let loose they will then runaway as the owner tries to approach them and get them back on the leash. It's like the dog is thinking he's got a taste of freedom and doesn't want to give it up. But I rarely ever see anything written or said about how to solve this problem or why some dogs do it. Does anyone have any ideas and how would you go about stopping the dog from doing this?
-----------------
Dog Mugs

Doberluv

Training, training, training. Keep it on a leash like Love4pits said until the dog is reliable. One can use a long, 30 ft. line and teach the recall until it becomes habit. A dog needs obedience training and most problems will be avoided and it makes a dog a much more pleasant and enjoyable pet. There is a lot on the Internet about training and a lot of books. Reward based training methods work wonders rather than punishment based.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
The reason dogs do this is quite simple really! Look at it from Rovers point of veiw. "I'm having a great time at the park, oh my owners calling i better go over there and see what she wants!" at which point the owner promptly "rewards" poor rover by snapping the leash on and ending all the fun. Thus rover learns, when mum comes towards me with the leash fun time is over. This problem is easy to fix, use dog money, or FOOD
in other words. Call rover over about five times during an off leash romp and reward him with food then LET HIM GO PLAY AGAIN. that part is very important.

Dogs also like to play chase and I dont think they care whether they are the chaser or the chased, hey its a game to some of them. If I get Blues attention and start backing up rapidly or I start running away from him calling his name I can get him to chase me so I can leash him or praise him and give him a treat.

Doberluv

Bridey made a very good point and tip that I forgot about. That's good!!!!! My son's dog had that problem. If she got out, she ran behind where he lived onto the golf course and had a ball. Then she'd finally come back but not because he called her. I told him to let her run. Get her to come for an awesome treat and put the leash on, then take it off and let her run some more, several times. Then when he'd take her back inside to not end the fun...to do some more fun stuff inside. The only way she'd come at first, was when I had Lyric there too visiting. He'd come, so she'd come. LOL. But he practiced that very thing after I left from my visit for days and days and now she comes much better.

But you don't want to use the command, "come" unless you're sure the dog is going to come. It's better to entice the dog to come and use the command only at the last second when you're positive the dog is comming. And tons of reward... praise/treats.

SaveCody

Most of the time my dog will come when called. When he is having too much fun and decides to run away, I turn around and run the other way. He thinks it's his turn to play tag. I don't have to take more than two steps and he's running full speed into my legs. To train him to come here I would jingle my keys, since he's mostly blind, and then give him a reward for coming to me.

This isn't exactly a training technique, as I have no intention of letting my greased pig (aka, my hairy, speedy collie mix) off leash ever again in my life. But when she's gotten out in the past, the only way to collect her is either a lucky tackle (kudos to my neighbor's kids) or to open the car door and say "Want to take a ride?" She doesn't even like riding in the car, but I think she's afraid of being left behind.

Athe

For myself I found the best way to teach a reliable recall is to play come chase me games. I adopted all of my dogs as adults, none had ever been trained or off lead or loose, it seemed to be quite a challenge but turned out to be very easy. With my Doberman I took him to a ball field which was fully enclosed and let him run around. I made sure I passed him a few times without trying to reach for him, just ignored him. Once he realized that I was just out for a stroll with him he wasn't anxious thinking I might put him on lead. Then I started running backwards and called him in an excited tone only once. When he came running to me I turned side ways so I wasn't facing him head on and played with him. I mention this only because you want to use unassertive body language when practicing recalls - it should be fun and non threatening. ;) I had a toy and started tossing it. This worked for all of my dogs, they learned that not every time I called them was an end to freedom. Some times when I call them its only to give them a treat, or to play catch etc. Dogs learn to avoid unpleasant events, this is why so many people have a problem with recalls.
The WORST things I have seen people do are: Calling the dog over and over and the dog learns to ignore the owner, owners getting mad and walking over and grabbing the dog and putting the dog on lead and then doing some recalls on lead - this really makes a dog want to avoid the person in the future :D , think about what you can do to make you dog WANT to come to you, make it a good experience.
I always call my dogs in a happy tone, if they don't come right away I run away from them, this will trigger their chase motor pattern. I never run towards the dog or grab the dog. When they come to me and I want to put them on lead I make them sit and give a treat then put the lead on. Keep plenty of treats on hand and call your dog to you often when they are off lead and just give a treat. Make sure when your dog is busy sniffing a bush or object that you walk past the dog, this will give the dog confidence that every time you come up to them that you are not always going to capture them.
I also play hide and seek games with my dogs :p if my dogs get too far ahead I hide in the bushes. When they come searching for me and find me I get excited and give plenty of praise when they find me. It is a game and I do this so my dogs always keep me in sight. I have 5 dogs and I have to have reliable recalls, I own 16 acres of land with many prey objects living here as well :p All of my dogs love to come when I call them, they associate recalls with good things and praise. To teach a dog make it fun and upbeat, some people make the mistake of forcing their dogs to listen to them.
I have competed in obedience trials with my dogs for many years. People always got a kick out of watching my dogs do their recalls in the ring. My dogs just get so excited and exuberant.
Good luck to you.

Doberluv

My Doberman was so exuberant yesterday when I called him to come after a long down stay, that he ran into me, then bounced back into a sit. LOL.

Athe

My Doberman was so exuberant yesterday when I called him to come after a long down stay, that he ran into me, then bounced back into a sit. LOL.
OMG! Doberluv, my Dobe did the same thing to me! is it in their genes?? :D
I had all my dogs at the beach when I called Beau. He came running and I stood there waiting for him to slow down so he could sit in front of me for a treat. He didn't slow down and was getting closer and closer (he was at a gallup) he slammed right into my legs and send me flying several feet backwards flat on my back. It took me a few minutes to catch my breath and my eye glasses had flown forwards off my face several feet. My Sister was with me and was laughing her head off. She wished she had had a video camera. :D :D
I was sore for weeks after that. He certainly has a good, if not dangerous recall.

Rose's Gal

How I get Rose to come to me off leash, is I'll say her name excitedly, tell her to come, and then run backwards as fast as I can while making happy noises. Then she'll come running up to me. Sometimes I do have to go and get her, but I always make it a positive experience (i.e. when I grab her, I start praising her, so she won't try to run away from me in the future).

Doberluv

Athe! LOL! Must be in their genes. It sounds like you had a little harder bump that I did. Glad you're OK. My GSD use to retreive a ball and he'd come running like mad toward me. He would run so fast and at the last second go to the left or right (always) and run past me and then come back. This was a game...not a recall with a front. LOL. Well, one time he looked like he wasn't going to go to the side and so I stepped to the side. Big mistake. At that same moment he did go to the side and slammed into me, bending my knees backwards and boy did that hurt.

At any rate, I'd never in a million years scold him for slamming me. It was an accident. Can you imagine if your dog just sauntered up to you when doing a recall instead of all this action? Now I just have to get him some eye glasses and teach him the word whoa-a-a-a!

Members online