jumping up...problem

A

agilitygirl121

well my westie jumps up on people like pet e pet me but no matter wut we have to hold him becasue he just jumps up[/SIon them and since he is kind of small he doesn't push you to the ground but wen you are whereing shorts or something like shorts then he scratch you ???????????
any suggestions???????????????????ZE]

Doberluv

Turn your back on him and ignore every time and completely...not a look, not a word, nothing. Be CONSISTANT. Everyone who interacts with him do the same. The second he is sitting or on all fours (your preference) squat down, give him love, attention and a treat. Repeat as necessary EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY TIME. Give it time to sink in.

A

agilitygirl121

re;

Turn your back on him and ignore every time and completely...not a look, not a word, nothing. Be CONSISTANT. Everyone who interacts with him do the same. The second he is sitting or on all fours (your preference) squat down, give him love, attention and a treat. Repeat as necessary EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY TIME. Give it time to sink in.
thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doberluv

You're welcome. Have patience. He'll keep trying to get your attention by jumping up and he'll likely try for a while, as much as a couple of weeks even. (possible) See, it's been working for him up to now or he wouldn't be doing it. So, that's why he'll keep trying for a while. Being consistant and him slowly finding out that, "Hey.....this isn't working, what else can I try" can take a little while. But eventually, he'll see what works super well to get your attention, affection and even a yummy treat. If he's sitting or on all fours and you reward him and he right away jumps up again, again you must abruptly ignore him. Make your timing precise and coinciding with his behavior. He'll get it. Keep us posted.

I agree. But to add to that, don't make a big deal about coming home. I find most dogs that like to jump on people, learn the behavior by the owners coming home and happy to see the dog, get them all excited and make a big deal out of it. While for many people it's just a natural thing to do, it can cause problems.

Doberluv

Good point BB. That's helpful to down-play comings and goings a little and not such a big, huge drama.

I do usually say, "Hi" to my dogs in a friendly way and don't completely ignore them like so many people advise, just because it's so totally unnatural for me to not greet my dogs at all after a separation. But I do keep it quite low key and brief and then go about whatever I need to do. They get excited to see me after I've been gone but don't jump on me or anything and in a few seconds they calm right down.

Members online

No members online now.