Spay during boarding. Is that mean?

So we have a family vacation planned for July, and Darby will be boarded for 10 days. I'm bummed about that but there's nothing to be done about it. The vacation (extended family vacation) has been in the works for over a year and Darby isn't welcome to come along.

She'll be boarded at our Vet Hospital. Since this is about the time she's due to be spayed, the vet suggested that it be done while she's boarded. She said it's pretty common for folks to do that.

What do you think? On one hand she'll be in the care of folks who (presumably) have a lot of experience and can care for her properly. On the other hand I hate the idea of dumping her off and leaving her during a stressful time. The vet made it sound like it wasn't that big of a deal, but I dunno, I'm new at this. For what it's worth, we've never had anything other than positive experiences with the people we've dealt with there.

What do you think?

Doberluv

I think it should be fine. She'll be right there should any complications arise (rare) and it will be easy to keep her quiet because they'll keep her in a cage of some sort. It may add to her stress a bit though. It depends too, on her personality....how easily stressed she tends to get with things like that. I assume, from the way you describe these vets, that she will be under good supervision.

It's too bad she wasn't allowed on the vacation but on the other hand, it will be easier. Hope you have a good time. And try not to worry.

Saje

Island dweller
She'll probably be fine but I dont think I'd want to do it. They feel so bad for the first day or so after a spay. I always want to be there so they have someone they love near. :( But, like Dober said, she'll be in good hands and get the care she needs! Leave a sweater or other clothes that smell like you when you go. That'll make her feel better.

Herschel

I don't think there would be a problem with it but I wouldn't do it. Herschel was really glad to see us when we picked him up from getting neutered. It was a Friday so we were able to spend the entire weekend with him to make sure he was OK.

On the other hand, she will be seen by a tech or other staff for a little while every day so they will be able to address any complications.

You might want to board Darby there for 1 day ahead of time so she can experience the boarding aspect before she goes in for the spay. That way, it might seem more familiar to her.

wookie130

I don't think I'd do it either, even if the vet claims it won't hurt anything. It would probably be better for her mental and emotional health to board her, and then re-schedule her spay for a slightly later date (don't wait too long!). And, not to be scary, because the chances of this are very slim, but should complications arise from the surgery, you'll at least be local, rather than on vacation.

~Tucker&Me~

I probably wouldn't do it.

Just thought I'd mention that I read it was not a good idea to board a dog at a vet clinic. Supposedly they pick up on the pain/discomfort and fear smells and such. I know Tucker's brother stopped eating when he was boarded there due to stress.

Don't know how valid it is but thought I'd let you know.

~Tucker

Herschel

I probably wouldn't do it.

Just thought I'd mention that I read it was not a good idea to board a dog at a vet clinic. Supposedly they pick up on the pain/discomfort and fear smells and such. I know Tucker's brother stopped eating when he was boarded there due to stress.

Don't know how valid it is but thought I'd let you know.

~Tucker
I agree. They usually aren't the most comforting places.

Could she maybe stay with a friend instead?

That's interesting. I'd never heard that. I think I'll go and check out the layout for the boarding area. It's a pretty big place, so the boarding area might well be reasonably removed from the clinic.

Unfortunately, I really have no one who is equipped to house a rambunctious 5 month old semi-potty trained puppy for 10 days. If she was 5 years, maybe. But not 5 months. She'll have to be boarded somewhere.

I really wish she could come along. It's a large beach house in South Carolina, and I'm sure Darby would love it. But as I said it's a trip with the in-laws...five families. And at least two of them have a problem with sharing the house with a dog. (Of course, I don't know if dogs are allowed in this rental anyway.) I've no room to complain though. The plans were made long before Darby came along. :(

squirtsmom

I wou ldn't do it more because when Squirt was spayed, i was totally stresssed out and didn't feel better until I got to pick her up and take her home. Having that done and not being there would be tough. I would worry myself sick.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I wouldn't do it. When Bella is spayed *I* want to be the one that is taking care of her... not some vet tech who does not love her as I do.

Well, I can't say I'm feeling good about it now. Time to re-evaluate.

How long can we wait for the spay? She'll be 5 months and one week when we leave. If we postpone, she'd be just shy of 6 months. Is that OK?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Why would it not be okay? Bella is soon to be 7 months and she is not spayed nor we do have plans in the immediate future for it to be done...

Why would it not be okay? Bella is soon to be 7 months and she is not spayed nor we do have plans in the immediate future for it to be done...
I was under the impression that it was highly desirable that they be spayed prior to the first heat to negate the risk of mammory cancer. I guess I'm unclear as to when the first heat can be expected in an un-spayed female.

Nevertheless, we've decided that we won't have the surgery done while she's being boarded, but will wait until we've returned. While I'm sure she'd receive proper care, Darby has proven to be a sensitive puppy and I'd prefer to be able to be there to make certain that she's comfortable and in familiar surroundings during a stressful time.

Thanks all for the advice.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
The Horsemen board at the vet clinic, and they LOVE it! They get wiggly and excited the minute I pull into the parking lot. Even mellow Zeus will all but drag me through the door to get in the boarding area. And both boys will happily prance back to the kennel area without so much as a backward glance at me. They are monstrously spoiled when they're there---all the staff knows them.

But I guess it depends on the clinic and how good the staff are.

Members online

No members online now.