Anyone watch Oprah "most loved dogs" special?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Oprah had a special today about the love of our dogs and had a holistic DVM on who spoke of the recent pet food recalls and WHAT you should be feeding your dog. He spoke how dogs are "carnivores" and should therefore eat much meat than what they get out of some of the kibbles with all the grains. Of course referring to the generic junky dog kibble which can contain up to 67% grain and fillers. I believe this was the gentleman on her show http://www.puppyworks.com/speaker/goldstein.html they gave a website with many doctors listed but he looks like the guy who was on the show less a goutee:p Anyways he spoke of how you can feed raw or homecooked which were his top two choices. Here is the website they gave out www.puppyworks.com

jason_els

Good.

I don't watch Oprah but she does reach millions upon millions of people every day and so many dog owners are clueless about what good nutrition is. It's unfortuante, but vets don't talk about it either and they should. Soon as you bring in a puppy for the first check-up, vets should make sure you know what to feed your dog and why. If this guy can get that message across, I'm all for it.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Good.

I don't watch Oprah but she does reach millions upon millions of people every day and so many dog owners are clueless about what good nutrition is. It's unfortuante, but vets don't talk about it either and they should. Soon as you bring in a puppy for the first check-up, vets should make sure you know what to feed your dog and why. If this guy can get that message across, I'm all for it.
I wish he got to talk more than he did though, that was my only issue with him being on the show. It wasn't his fault because by the time he came on there was only 10 minutes left of the show. I did love the fact that Oprah did a show on not just dogs but about the whole food recall because of the fact that she does reach millions of people like you said Jason...............

Good.

Every vet I've taken my pets to steers you toward the wrong food to! I had no idea what a "high quality" food was until I found Chaz! They always pointed me toward Science Diet....Eukenuba etc.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Every vet I've taken my pets to steers you toward the wrong food to! I had no idea what a "high quality" food was until I found Chaz! They always pointed me toward Science Diet....Eukenuba etc.
I forgot to comment on that to Dena! LOL! I wanted to add that the vet I have been going to for over 25 years has recently hired vets in the past 6-8 years who are all holistic and offer titers as opposed to shooting up your dog every year, as well as recommending to not put those dreaded flea and tick "pesticides" on your dog and feeding crap like science diet...............I love my vet LOL! Point of my story is, is that not to many years ago they were telling me to feed Iams, SD, and Euk, and saying how great the food is. But now vets seem to be getting more educated and I think it is long over due!

I forgot to comment on that to Dena! LOL! I wanted to add that the vet I have been going to for over 25 years has recently hired vets in the past 6-8 years who are all holistic and offer titers as opposed to shooting up your dog every year, as well as recommending to not put those dreaded flea and tick "pesticides" on your dog and feeding crap like science diet...............I love my vet LOL! Point of my story is, is that not to many years ago they were telling me to feed Iams, SD, and Euk, and saying how great the food is. But now vets seem to be getting more educated and I think it is long over due!
That's great!!!!!!!!! :) It's long over due!!!

otch1

It really will take awhile! I feed a raw diet with partial amount of premium kibble. I use 2 different vets. One vet is opposed to a raw diet and has a big list of reasons why. (A thread was started here over the weekend about feeding raw diets.) My other vet, my pups breeder and many fellow exhibitors, breeders and trainers I know, would never feed anything but raw. It will take awhile to convince everyone that these proccessed dog diets are a big factor in premature aging and health problems for many dogs. Having said that, I just had a clients miniature poodle pass away at 17 1/2 years of age. She was fed those packaged soft Gaines burger packets with Little Ceasar canned, the past 10 years. It made me cringe to feed her this everytime she stayed, but that's what mom wanted her to have. Go figure!!

joce

Having said that, I just had a clients miniature poodle pass away at 17 1/2 years of age. She was fed those packaged soft Gaines burger packets with Little Ceasar canned, the past 10 years. It made me cringe to feed her this everytime she stayed, but that's what mom wanted her to have. Go figure!!
Its all the preservatives in the food:p An old friend had a toy poodle who looked miserable for the last couple of years of life that ate that stuff and we joked the preservatives worked on the dog more than the food!

Barb04

Super Moderator
My first dog growing up lived to 14. She ate the Gaines burger patties too.

bubbatd

Go figure .....my oldest Golden was over 16 ..... was on regular Purina Chow .

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
They always pointed me toward Science Diet....Eukenuba etc.
Isn't that the truth? I don't know anymore if it's about profit or just ignorance. I posted a link somewhere on the recall and they interviewed a vet. And what was his advice? Switch to a food that hasn't been recalled yet! Then they asked him about raw and home cooking and he was so cryptic and discouraging it was a travesty!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Its all the preservatives in the food
Rofl! When I was a kid we fed our Schnauzers KenL Ration. :yikes: :yikes: The oldest lived to age 19. That was considered The Very Best! No Gravy Train for OUR dogs, no sir! KenL Ration! Far as I can recall we never used a vet after neutering unless a dog was very sick.

zoe08

Well he recommends Nature's Variety, which is what I am feeding right now. But I would like to start adding in some cooked meat and fresh veggies.

Miakoda

I laughed at that (not him) though because when they showed Oprah feeding her dogs, it was mostly rice with a few pieces of carrots & even fewer pieces of meat in it. Seems like what her "expert" guests tell her goes in one ear & out the other.

Going OT a tad bit, I thought the trainer was a joke. And I wonder what happened to Oprah's demon Spaniels she had.

Members online

No members online now.