Dog owners favorites!

otch1

I'd like to start a thread that collects dog owners favorite training books and videos, in one "location". Sorry, this is not for trainers yet! Groomers and breeders feel free to respond, but trainers.... "leave-it!" Lol. When you got your dog, what book did you find the easiest to understand, the most informative and that provided the most success, when working at home with your dog? Which trainers did you enjoy most? Did you find it easier to learn from a video or written material? If you don't mind, please post if you are male or female, in your response.

elegy

overdogged
i don't have any videos. as far as books.

the other end of the leash- patricia mcconnell
culture clash- jean donaldson

for dog-aggression
fight! - jean donaldson
aggression in dogs - brenda aloff

i'm a girl.

sam

All time fav - Culture Clash (Jean Donaldson) made a huge impression. I had a fabulous trainer though and it was having her work one on one with my dog and I that was the best and most influencial thing.She steared me in the right direction and suggested that book. I had previosly read "Good owners great dogs" by Brian Kilcommons so my head was full of all sorts of sillyness that I had to unlearn.
Other personal favs are TOEOTL(Patricia McConnell), Don't shoot the dog (Karen Pryor), Shaping Success(Susan Garrett), Bringing light to Shadow (Pam Dennison) I really enjoyed recently.
One of my favorite resources is www.clickersolutions.com I've read many if not most of the articles and still can't believe what a great resource it is and it's FREE!
edited to add I'm female :)

otch1

O.k.... looks like this one kind of "fizzled out". Not a lot of dog owners posting, so "trainers, jump in!!" What is EVERYONES' favorite training video, book or?

Doberluv

I don't know if I'm a trainer or an owner. I haven't started yet. Got the business cards though. LOL.

I would have to say that Culture Clash (2nd edition) is my all time favorite. But I think, even more important to read as a first book would have to be my equal all time favorite (although not entirely a training book exactly) Dogs, A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior and Evolution, by Ray and Lorna Coppinger. What a phenomenal book, chalk full of compelling evidence and theory for which they make an excellent case. The content of the book is so compelling that it actually has everything to do with how we train, how we relate to and think of our dogs. So really.....I guess it is a training book. It was fascinating to me. It's an everything book. :hail: I give it 5 stars.

Next would be Don't Shoot the Dog, Karen Pryor. And The Power of Positive Training, Pat Miller, The Other End of the Leash, Patricia McConnell. Let's see.....I'm probably leaving something out. But I would like to get a couple more books by these people and a few other authors. It's getting expensive. But I would have to pick those as my favorites.

RD

Are you dead yet?
All of my favorites have been listed so far ;) The Other End of the Leash and Culture Clash are the two that I refer to most often when I'm having issues with a dog at the shelter.

I especially like reading about different ways to approach aggression issues, since that's what I often work with at the shelter. My favorites when it comes to aggression are "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons, and "Fight!" by Jean Donaldson.

Oh. And I'm female.

opokki

I find it easier to learn from videos but I feel that I learn lots from books too.

My favorite video so far is:
Dog Communication Signals by Sarah Kalnajs

There are so many books that I think are great. I'll try to keep my list short. ;)

Some of the books that I've found most helpful are:
Before and After Getting Your Puppy and How To Teach a New Dog Old Tricks by Ian Dunbar
The Culture Clash, Dogs are From Neptune, and Mine! By Jean Donaldson
Aggression in Dogs and Canine Body Language by Brenda Aloff
How Dogs Learn by Burch & Bailey
Excelerated Learning by Pam Reid
How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
Click for Joy! by Melissa Alexander
Canine Behavior by Bonnie Beaver
Dogs: A Startling New Understanding by Ray & Lorna Coopinger
Outwitting Dogs by Terry Ryan

I am female.

Hmmm, do I admit I have a dog book adiction or do I just narrow it down..*rubs chin*....

I should just take a photo of my dog book room..but then you'll all think I need a RUBBER ROOM..:lol-sign:

I have so many favorites, of course a few by Jean Donaldson, Culture Clash, Mine, Fight. I really enjoyed The Dog Who Loved Too Much by Dr. Nicholas Dodman. Too many to count by Patricia McConell, but I'm currently reading (and loving) For The Love Of A Dog. Oh, and Click to Calm by Emma Parsons

Honestly, I have about 10 or so actual favorites but I think more than the actual book titles, I love the authors that I've mentioned and a few more. The ones who stay on top of the science and bring such life to the work, I really have to love an author before I'll shell out $$ anymore.

BostonBanker

(I'm female)

I think the most read-able book I've bought for training is "The Power of Positive Dog Training".

My favorite dog book is "The Other End of the Leash". It obviously isn't step-by-step training, but I found it incredibly readable, and full of great information. I probably read a different piece of it every week or so - which means I've probably read the entire thing dozens of times!

I just ordered "Click-to-Calm". The author is doing a workshop here later this winter, and it's been recommended on this board a lot. I'm hoping it lives up to it's reputation!

Angelique

The authors who have made an impression, most not coming from a strictly "training" only perspective:

Monks of New Skete, Cesar Millan, Myrna M. Milani, Patricia McConnell, Suzanne Clothier, Stanley Coren, Micheal Fox, Bruce Fogel, James Harriot, Jon Katz, Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson.

Not dog authors, but had an impact on how I understand and interact with dogs and all animals:

Jane Goodall, Monty Roberts, John C. Lilly, Diane Strum, Farley Mowat, Doug Suess.

Last edited:

otch1

Hi there!! Material I've enjoyed and found practical: Sylvia Bishop, Stanley Coren, Nicholas Dodman, Ian Dunbar, Karen Pryor, Clarice Rutherford, John Wright. (Linda Tellingtons' work, on all animals) and back in the day... one of the television programs I watched on training... Barbara Woodhouse. She was the "Julia Childs" of dog training and even quite physically similar to her! Lol!

Members online

No members online now.