A note to people "getting rid of beloved pets"

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I saw this on another forum and just had to post it here...

Sadly, it is all true in many circumstances...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Average Idiot,

We receive an extremely high volume of inquiries and requests to accept surrendered animals. To help us expedite your problem as quickly as possible, please observe the following guidelines:

1. Do not say that you are, "considering finding a good home," or, "feel you might be forced to," or, "really think it would be better if," you unloaded the poor beast. Ninety-five percent of you already have your minds stone-cold made up that the animal will be out of your life by the weekend or holiday at the latest. Say so. If you don't, I'm going to waste a lot of time giving you common-sense, easy solutions for very fixable problems, and you're going to waste a lot of time coming up with fanciful reasons why the solution couldn't possibly work for you.

For instance, you say the cat claws the furniture, and I tell you about nail-clipping and scratching posts and aversion training, and then you go into a long harangue about how your husband won't let you put a scratching post in the family room, and your ADHD daughter cries if you use a squirt bottle on the cat, and your congenital thumb abnormalities prevent you from using nail scissors and etc., etc. Just say you're getting rid of the cat.

2. Do not waste time trying to convince me how nice and humane you are. Your coworker recommended that you contact me because I am nice to animals, not because I am nice to people, and I don't like people who "get rid of" their animals. "Get rid of," is my least favorite phrase in any language. I hope someone,"gets rid" of you someday. I am an animal advocate, not a people therapist. After all, you can get counselors, special teachers, doctors, social workers, etc., for your ADHD daughter. Your pet has only me, and people like me, to turn to in his or her need, and we are overworked, stressed-out, and demoralized. So don't tell me this big long story about how, "We love this dog so much, and we even bought him a special bed that cost $50, and it is just killing us to part with him, but honestly, our maid is just awash in dog hair every time she cleans, and his breath sometimes just reeks of liver, so you can see how hard we've tried, and how dear he is to us, but we really just can't ... ."

You are not nice, and it is not killing you. It is, in all probability, literally killing your dog, but you're going to be just fine once the beast is out of your sight. Don't waste my time trying to make me like you or feel sorry for you in your plight.

3. Do not try to convince me that your pet is exceptional and deserves special treatment. I don't care if you taught him to sit. I don't care if she's a beautiful Persian. I have a waiting list of battered and/or whacked-out animals who really need help, and I have no room to shelter your pet because you decided you no longer have time for your 14-year-old Lab.

Do not send me long messages detailing how Fido just l-o-v-e-s blankies and carries his favorite blankie everywhere, and oh, when he gets all excited and happy, he spins around in circles, isn't that cute? He really is darling so it wouldn't be any trouble at all for us to find him a good home. Listen.. we can go down to the pound and count the darling, spinning, blankie-loving beasts on death row by the dozens, any day of the week. And, honey, Fido is a six-year- old shepherd-mix weighing 75 pounds. I am not lying when I tell you big, older, mixed-breed, garden-variety dogs are almost always completely unadoptable, and I don't care if they can whistle Dixie or send smoke signals with their blankies.

What you don't realize, though you're trying to lie to me, you're actually telling the truth: Your pet is a special, wonderful, amazing creature. But this mean old world does not care. More importantly, you do not care, and I can't fix that problem. All I can do is grieve for all the exceptional animals who live short, brutal, loveless lives and die without anyone ever recognizing they were indeed very, very special.

Finally, just, for God' s sake, for the animal's sake, tell the truth, and the whole truth. Do you think if you just mumble your cat is, "high-strung" I will say, "Okey-dokey! No problem!"and take it into foster care? No, I will start asking questions and uncover the truth, which is your cat has not used a litter box in the last six months.

Do not tell me you "can't" crate your dog. I will ask what happens when you try to crate him, and you will either be forced to tell me the symptoms of full-blown, severe separation anxiety, or else you will resort to lying some more, wasting more time.

And, if you succeed in placing your pet in a shelter or foster care, do not tell yourself the biggest lie of all: "Those nice people will take him and find him a good home, and everything will be fine." Those nice people will indeed give the animal every possible chance, but if we discover serious health or behavior problems, if we find that your misguided attempts to train or discipline him have driven him over the edge, we will do what you are too immoral and cowardly to do: We will hold the animal in our arms, telling him truthfully he is a good dog or cat, telling him truthfully we are sorry and we love him, while the vet ends his life. Some are not so lucky and will face the gas chamber, depending on the part of the country you're in...a slow, painful death.

How can we be so heartless as to kill your pet, you ask? Do not ever dare to judge us. At least we tried. At least we stuck with him to the end. At least we never abandoned him to strangers, as you certainly did, didn't you? In short, this little old rescuer/foster momma has reached the point where she would prefer you tell it like it is:

"We picked up a free pet in a parking lot a couple of years ago. Now we don't want it anymore. We're lazier than we thought. We've got no patience either. We're starting to suspect the animal is really smarter than we are, which is giving us self-esteem issues. Clearly, we can't possibly keep it. Plus, it might be getting sick; it's acting kind of funny."

"We would like you to take it in eagerly, enthusiastically, and immediately. We hope you'll realize what a deal you're getting and not ask us for a donation to help defray your costs. After all, this is an (almost) pure-bred animal, and we'll send the leftover food along with it. We get it at the discount store, and boy, it's a really good deal."

"We are very irritated you haven't shown pity on us in our great need and picked the animal up already.We thought you people were supposed to be humane! Come and get it today."

"No, we couldn't possibly bring it to you; the final episode of

'Survivor' is on tonight."

~~Author Unknown ~~

Zoom

Twin 2.0
So, so true.

Reminds me of when I was at the shelter last August adopting Aubrey and this old lady came in with a 10+ year old Yorkie. Her reason for dropping it off? "My husband is sick now and this darn dog just wants too much attention! It's always climbing in his lap." :mad: :mad:

krisykris

I agree with the sentiments of this post regarding people that give their pets up for no good reason, but i'd also like to remind everyone that sometimes things that happen in peoples lives are unavoidable and working to find a pet a better home is the only option. Also, a lot of people go into pet ownership with the best intentions and feel horrible about giving up a pet. I'm sure I'll be in the 1% if people that feel this way though.

Fran27

I'm fine with finding a new home, it's people dumping the dogs in the shelter that really irk me.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
krisykris said:
I agree with the sentiments of this post regarding people that give their pets up for no good reason, but i'd also like to remind everyone that sometimes things that happen in peoples lives are unavoidable and working to find a pet a better home is the only option. Also, a lot of people go into pet ownership with the best intentions and feel horrible about giving up a pet. I'm sure I'll be in the 1% if people that feel this way though.
No your not the only one.
As I agree with the letter or quote there are times when it is appropriate.

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
Oh BP.. you KNEW that would start me watering again! :p
I really need to get a hold of this sappiness..
It's all so true.. I agree that sometimes it IS better for the pet to find it a new home.. sometimes owners DO get too sick to be able to care for them, etc etc, obviously there are situations where it IS better that the animal find a different home.. but of course 99% of situations are not like that at all.. it makes me so upset that people see animals as so disposable.. :(

dojo

Now this is something indeed. Too many false claims in this case, many people think they are good people when they do this :(

it should be printed in many places, maybe some would be ashamed as they should

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Gosh, everyone has been posting such sad things recently.:(

Many times people just dont think hard enough before they get a pet.

Elissa

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I agree that there are times when it is better for the cat/dog/pet to find a better home, but it's the dumping of animals that really upsets me. :( When a person takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, one would hope that they have done their research and do the best by the that animal no matter what.

But, as that is not always the case, there are millions of animals that need homes, millions. And, Buddy was a drop off at the SPCA...where would I be without my Buddy? I guess I'm sorta hypocritical... I blame people and get upset at these people for shoving off their responsibilities on inadequate shelters when if that wouldn't have happened to Buddy- I wouldn't have him in my life and THAT makes me sad. I love him to pieces.

Oh well..

*shrugs*

I have my dog and I will always rescue, why? because those poor babies need to know what a forever home means. :(

bubbatd

This is especially sad for our sweet mutts . A couple of years ago, our Golden Rescue had 2 goldens whose owners had to go into nursing homes. Luckily these senior dogs were adopted together. Now, as to mutts... why was my Ollie put on Petfinder.com ??? For those of you looking.. don't go to breeds only !! Even though I bred for over 45 years, in today's market ( unless I want a show dog ) I put in my zip code, size , type and age and Ollie came up ... I got him within 24 hrs. and couldn't be happier. Yes. People give dogs up ! Ollie was their loss and my gain ! Thank you again, my Golden angels above ,for sending him to Grammy !

Brattina88

Everytime I sit down and think about it it makes me want to cry. I can't imagine why anyone would make Missy live outside and then eventually get rid of her :confused: She is so well behaved, well mannered, acts socialized (though we all think she probably wasnt). She's beautiful, smart, loyal (I could go on and on of course, but I see that I'm drifting).

I agree Grammy... Their loss and our gain. I hate that she ended up at the pound ("high kill" - its an awesome pound, but they are totally and completely over run), somehow I am the luckiest person alive that she did :(

Edit: thanks for posting... I have certain people that I need to show this too ;)

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Excellent post. Sadly we had a 13 year old Shih-Tzu come into the shelter today. Reason?? He wets on the floor sometimes now and he is too old to play with the kids so we want a puppy. Maybe you can find him a good home with some old people.
Ok as luck would have it I did have a place for him and he is already with a nice loving lady that will care for him till the end but I wonder how happy he is tonight to have lost his family of 13 years for no other reason then he just got old.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Aussie Red said:
Excellent post. Sadly we had a 13 year old Shih-Tzu come into the shelter today. Reason?? He wets on the floor sometimes now and he is too old to play with the kids so we want a puppy. Maybe you can find him a good home with some old people.
Ok as luck would have it I did have a place for him and he is already with a nice loving lady that will care for him till the end but I wonder how happy he is tonight to have lost his family of 13 years for no other reason then he just got old.

Ugh, stories like this just rip me apart :(

I am glad that he found a home, but gosh... I certainly hope the kids of that famiyl don't get rid of their parents when they get too old....

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Buddy'sParents said:
Ugh, stories like this just rip me apart :(

I am glad that he found a home, but gosh... I certainly hope the kids of that famiyl don't get rid of their parents when they get too old....
Would kind of be justified wouldn't you think. Sorry but my heart ached for this little guy but I knew this lady and she will do right by him and it was an instant bond between them. It happens daily and I do the best I can for the unadoptable ones but ( HEAVY SIGH) can't help all of them.

StillandSilent

I took a call one time from a woman with a 14 yr old golden. The dog had just had a stroke and had been left permenantly blind. And she just couldnt deal with that. So she wanted to get rid of him. But he was a good dog who she had had since he was 6 wks old! Not suprisingly, she hadn't been able to find another home for him and if she took him to Animal Control would our organiztion pull him out and find him a new home? Boy was she honked off when I told her that if she loved the dog, she would take it to her vet and have it humanely euthanized, because we can not adopt out an elderly handicapped dog. Her parting shot? "But he's purebred!" Yeah, like that matters to anyone now.

Members online

No members online now.