Well Chief is gone now

Norms parents didnt listen to me and put him to sleep humanly.They decided to go ahead and shoot him.Norm and I had to go dig a hole to put him into.I wish they could have just waited till Norm gets paid on friday.Gwen keeps asking where Chief went.She is only 3 and doesnt understand death yet.We had a good cry about it and said our goodbyes.At least he is no longer in pain constantly.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I think shooting him was much more humane than letting him suffer.

People shoot animals all the time. Horses, cows, dogs, what have you.
It's better than letting them suffer.

A euthanasia shot is about $150 or so. A bullet is about 20 cents.

But it is sad to see a dog go. At least he's in a better place now (if you believe in Heaven..)

bubbatd

RIP Chief .............. I only hope it was quick and painless. Saddens me to think of those last moments. I still would rather he was in loving arms as he passed. I'll never forget when a neighbor at our old house asked if he could bury his dog in our woods. He dug a hole and then shot his dog. When I heard the shots , I broke into tears. So hard for you and Norm to live with......doesn't seem fair to you. I'm only glad Gwen is too young to understand the method ......

Yes a GSDxCollie.They were going to have the vet put him down but decided not to wait for us to give them the money.I wish they would have waited.This is how they feel is the best and cheapest way to end his misery though.He isnt my dog so I didnt get any say in the matter.

Debi

people shoot their animals (only when absolutely necessary) here all the time. in a farming community, it isn't abnormal. poor Chief, he was still humanely put out of misery, which is what a loving owner does....no matter the method. I hope people don't condemn this....if you do, then you don't understand that it really is normal for alot of farm people. they'd never let an animal suffer..it is a kind act, not the horrible act you may be thinking. love to you and your family. ((hugs))

I know farm people do it but we live in the city.Plus we offered to pay for it for them.I just think that there are nicer ways of doing it than this thats all.I wont ever do that to mine.They will go to the vet where it is quicker and no chance of missing.

bubbatd

A friend of mine had to put their Golden to sleep yesterday....they couldn't bear taking her into the clinic , so the vet did it in their car at the clinic . Sally loved going in the car. The techs then took her in to be cremated. Sally was the last pup of my last litter....Eli's and R.J's littermate. RIP Sally ! Join the Golden welcome at the Bridge.

He is 13 was deaf,was going blind and his hips were going.He hadnt eaten in 4 days,also had cancerous growths on his body.Plus he always had seizures too.It was for the best I just wish they had done it the nicer way than shooting him.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
If it makes you feel any better they've done studies where the pain receptors don't have time to react to the brain dying so the animal never feels anything.

The yelp is kind of a delayed reaction.

Debi

my friend had the vet come to her house where she had friends there with her when she had to put her GSD to sleep. she found that the most comforting. as long as the animal never suffers (that would be unforgivable) then I think it is up to the person. no, I'd never be able to shoot my dog either. but, when I know someone has had to put an animal down...and they are always sad to have to do it...then I respect it. why is a needle any better than a gunshot?? I think GlassOnion explained it well. it's always beyond sad.

Doberluv

If they knew what they were doing, know where exactly to shoot the dog, that is painless and quicker than anything, no needle pain, no fear lying on the vet's table wondering what's going on, only perhaps the being in the dug out hole. It is very quick and painless. Don't worry. He's free of all that pain and sickness now. I'm just so sorry for your pain and the loss of Chief....so sad to see them go.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I feel so sorry for your parents. It's hard to let a dog go.

I agree with doberluv. Shooting is sad, but when done right, is completely humane. We debated about that option with our golden retreiver. It was Sunday morning when the cancer just took over. It's like she faded overnight. She couldn't even stand up, and was seizuring periodically. In our area, there are no emergency vets who could euthanize her. They all said to wait until "normal" clinic hours on Monday. It seemed to us that shooting would be a much better alternative than letting her suffer. We ended up waiting until Monday, but it was an extremely hard decision.

Y

yuckaduck

Lisa I am so sorry that I lost all my connection to you when you needed me. I am so sorry about Chief I know we had discussed it before it happened and how very upset you were. It is not your fault and there was nothing you could do. I am sorry I was not able to be there for you.

Hugs
Heather

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
There's nothing wrong with it. It's very humane, especially for those that don't have the money to do it.

Like Doberluv said, if done properly-- it's just as humane as a needle penetrating a dogs vein and releasing a toxicant.

Sorry to hear about Chief, he's in a much better place now. No longer suffering.

Thanks hon.I am better now but last night was sad.They did it yesterday.I will miss him though.I always brought treats for him when we went over.I will miss him and so will Norm and Gwen.We knew the time was coming but expected him to be PTS not Shot.He was such a fighter too.I guess it took 2 shots to end it for him.I hope he finds doggy heaven ok.

Members online

No members online now.