Dogs and bikes.

Hello everybody! Im new to this forum.
I have a boxer named Shadow.
I've been trying to help her get used to my bike. Of course I've fixed her behavior of chasing after bikes and other vehicles... she's only allowed to go by my side (when Im on a bike) when there's a lead on her. So everyday, I get on the bike, lead her through the walkway slowly (just a little bit faster than walking) and she appears to be pretty good in this exercise.
My concern is, well... I've never heard of people "walk" their dos when on a bike... I just want to make sure if this's all okay.
THanks for your time :)

oriondw

user not active
Its depends on the breed.

I've seen GSD's and Labs being run on the bikes and they seem to be doing fine.

It is not advisable for my breed for example.

Im not really sure about boxers though :)

Doberluv

Is Shadow a puppy or an adult? How old? Young dogs of a breed such as yours need to have exercise, but not an over abundance or repetetive exercise, such as jogging....same pace, same gait, over and over. Hard surfaces such as asphalt aren't very good on dogs' legs, just like they aren't for ours. So, I wouldn't over do but a little should be OK. Ask your vet too. They make neat things for bikes to keep the dog out a little, away from the bike, so as not to cause a fall. You might do a search online and see what you can find.

Good luck and welcome!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i use a walkydog attachment for exercising my dog on the bicycle and it works really well.

in my opinion it better than the springer attachment, since you can remove the "arm" part of the walkydog with a simple twist whenever you don't need it on your bike, and all that remains is the little ring you attach it to, which doesn't get in the way. i have a few friends in germany who use the springer and like it tho, some of them exercising two dogs at the same time.

doberluv is right tho, don't force a puppy to run along long distances, especially on hard ground - and make sure your dog doesn't overheat, it can happen quite fast.

for an adult dog and in moderate temperatures, it's great exercise. my little 30-pound guy has no trouble at all going on 12 mile runs but usually we keep it to 4-5 miles at a time.

I do it all the time, I also have a harness for Boomer and he sometimes drags me around on my skateboard. He seems to enjoy both of these activities. It's fine as long as theres no problems.

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I do it every once in awhile with just hanging on to the leash. I don't go very fast because some of the dogs at the shelter are not trust worthy, but I have had very little problems while doing it.

femke

I started taking Penny out for bikerides when she was about 5 months old. Been doing it for about two months now. I usually only take her for one a day and take her for regular walks the other times. And I change my speed once in a while so she also has a chance to do some walking and sniffing around. At the park she's allowed off the leash so then she just lingers somewhere and then catches up with me again. it's not a very far walk for her but it's more convenient for me taking her by bike when I get home from working the midnightshift in the morning, it gets done faster but she still gets exercise. Take the advice other people here gave you, it's fine, but dont overdo it:)

maxpayne_lhp said:
Hello everybody! Im new to this forum.
I have a boxer named Shadow.
I've been trying to help her get used to my bike. Of course I've fixed her behavior of chasing after bikes and other vehicles... she's only allowed to go by my side (when Im on a bike) when there's a lead on her. So everyday, I get on the bike, lead her through the walkway slowly (just a little bit faster than walking) and she appears to be pretty good in this exercise.
My concern is, well... I've never heard of people "walk" their dos when on a bike... I just want to make sure if this's all okay.
THanks for your time :)
Hi and welcome, you're the only other person I've met who has a FEMALE dog called shadow. My staff is called shadow, her pics is in my avatar and my siggy. Hope u enjoy the site. Your shadow looks beautiful by the way!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I had a rather unusual approach to bike riding with my golden retreiver when I was younger. I put her on a harness, then wrapped the leash between my handlebars. Then, I just jumped on the bike and let 'er rip. Tigger would take off at a dead gallop. She was good at stopping and turning when I told her to (just in case, I had a second leash attatched to her collar so I could hold her back). She loved bike rides; it was the one time she could go as fast as she wanted. Of course I didn't get much exercise that way, LoL!

Tigger loved it so much that I've wanted to try the same thing with Zeus. But I'm not brave enough. He's very long-legged and moves like a lightning bolt.

yentna

Just be careful with attaching the dog to the bike. If, for example, the dog wants to take off and check out something in the opposite direction, he/she can topple your bike and cause a crash. Or if you hit something and wreck, then the dog gets involved too. Otherwise it should be fine! :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
yentna said:
Just be careful with attaching the dog to the bike. If, for example, the dog wants to take off and check out something in the opposite direction, he/she can topple your bike and cause a crash.
that's where the bike attachments come in. :) they have very strong springs that buffer any pulling and lunging from the dog. riding is also safer since you can have both hands on the handlebar instead of holding the dog with one.

Well she's 7 years old I think...
She seems to enjoy this! She remembers all the directions in this subdivision... and well... she regulates her speed to cope with the bike...
Uhm one question: How can we say if a dog is too tired or something? I believe that this walk will be up to no harm rite?

Members online