This is what I feed my dog, what am I doing wrong? (RAW)

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
I posted in another thread that I will be moving from a RAW food diet to a kibble diet because I don't believe I am doing it right and my dog isn't gaining any weight or eating much. Some readers suggest I post what I feed him and maybe you guys can help me fix whats wrong.

Basically this is what I feed my dog:
(note everytime u see a - its a different day)

- raw lamb necks

- raw chicken wings

- raw chicken drum sticks

- steamed rice with cooked liver

- beef strogonoff (just the meat cooked)

- grilled whole chicken (without bone)

second note: its not in that specific order

And I think thats it basically. He doesn't eat eggs, he doesn't eat cottage cheese, he doesn't eat any vegetables and he doesn't eat his mulitvitamin powder.

My dog is very active and energetic but he sheds a lot of hair (could be cuz i live in Kuwait but we have AC on 24/7). He also is pretty skinny, and in the past 6 months hasn't gained any weight and if anything actually lost, dropping from around 21KG to 19.

He is 1 year and 7 months old. He has been on a raw food diet all his life. He doesn't have a good appetite.

What am I doing wrong, how can I improve his diet? I need advice because I really don't want to move to kibble and feel sad I have to do that to him but I don't want him to get sick due to lack of vitamins or proteins etc..

thanks a lot

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Is he super skinny or malnourished? It doesn't look like a complete raw meal to me.. why not give an example of what you feed in a day? take today.. what did you feed your dog today?

Dekka

Just try me..
Do you feed organ meats? or green tripe? What you are doing sounds good, in part. (though I wouldn't cook the meats, or feed the rice, rice is filler) I feed a sea meal when I am feeding all raw. If the dogs don't eat it sprinkled on the meat, I will mix it with ground beef (or ground organ meat) HOW much are you feeding? Even the best diet won't keep weight on if it isn't enough.

How much are you feeding? He should have been getting 10% of his body weight while growing and now should probably be somewhere around 3% getting ready to move down to 2% depending on activity level.

Do you know your bone to offal to meat ratio off hand?
the main red flag I see is too much bone content and not enough meats. But again without knowing how much is in the meal its hard to say.

as an example here is a typical meal around here for the dogs.
2 chicken legs with backs attached ( covers the 10% bone required)
Hamburg or chicken breast ( approx 1.5 lbs each per meal for the size of my dogs)
ground up carrots or sweet potatoes ( not every day)
liver, kidney or heart to cover offal content ( however heart can be confused as a muscle meat, but is indeed used as organ meats)
one whole mackeral ( depending on the day)

thats our most complicated meal, usually its one whole chicken or one whole rabbit... I feed prey model which consists of what they "could" eat in the wild. I try to mimic the best I can with "franken animals" when whole is not available.

usurp

thats a meal?

you see there is definitely something wrong with my diet. my dog is around 42 pounds. Most of his meals are around 1.1 pound in weight. That comes out to for example 2 lamb necks. which is all he would eat all day.

Next day for example he would eat around 1.1 pound of drumsticks.

the day after maybe around 1.5 pounds of rice with liver

etc..

And its not like he wants to eat more and I am stopping him, he doesn't want to eat period and I am basically forcing him to eat.

If I want to add more meat instead of bone to his diet, what kind of meat? All the meat I used to get him while he was a puppy was steak meat which I later found out was muscle meant and it was making his poo come out liquid and black. What kind of meat should I ask from my butcher?

Overall though I think I have a hopeless case here because my dog never wants to eat!

Dekka

Just try me..
Young dogs sometimes get destracted and don't finish their food. I would recommend leaving him in his crate with the food until he finishes it.

Ground up organ meat, (offal) and some ground beef added to what you were feeding him before, ditch the rice or get it down to like a 1/4 of a cup. Try fish. Find what your dog really likes. Dogs seem to really like green tripe (nasty stuff) and its good for them too.

usurp

tripe is cows stomach or something right? My breeder originally told me to feed my dog that but it just seemed really gross.

Is there a difference between green tripe and regular tripe or are they the same thing? Do I have my butcher ground it up?

Dekka

Just try me..
It is really gross lol, feed it outside! Nasty stuff, but dogs love it...might be a good way to sneak in some mineral/vitamin powder.

Members online

No members online now.