Very Important- All Ontario residents please read

Kayla

As though dog owners have not been put through enough hell in the last year with a brash new move towards ignorant, closed minded legislation, which detailed the complete prohibitation of owning, breeding, transferring, importing, fighting or abandoning pit bulls.The definition taken from the bill itself lists of what a pit bull is includes; "pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, American pit bull terrier or a dog that shares the physical characteristics with any of the above."

This was an outrage to all responsible dog owners as it is clearly the goverments way of escaping dealing with the real issue of dog attacks and through their unwillingness to recognize the real problem when the ban came into effect, thousands of families in the greater toronto area alone along with the many more across the provience were forced to muzzel their dogs in public merely because their dogs shared the same characteristics with a few bad seeds who were raised and socialized improperly by some very stupid owners.

Now we seem to be at risk again.

On New years eve day a terrible tradegy occured when a very irresponsible owner left his two rottiwielers unattended in his back yard and they escaped and attacked a young boy. The boy I can thankfully say survived and is recovering though obviously it will take a very long time for his and his family to recover through this nightmare.

Full story here

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NA...2&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

It would be convient to say clearly this tradgedy occured because of someones two clearly "vicious" dogs. As dog people we know this is not the whole story and can recognize that two real failings occured here, one the goverments refusal to recognize and deal with the issue of irresponsible owners and put in place real legislation to protect it's citizens and instead simply banning dogs which look dangerous has occured yet another innocent life to be ruined.

The second failing clearly falls into the hands of the owner who moronically decided he did not need to have a secure fence while keeping two very large and powerful dogs.

Unfortunatly if both parties had lived up to their responsibilities I am very confident this tradgedy and all future dog attacks could and can be prevented.

As one would expect news like this, in a trigger happy provience on BSL is not good and I fear we are once again on the verge of seeing the dogs we love being stripped of their comforts and forced to be muzzled in public, taken out of therapy dog programs and be feared where ever they go.

The Hamiliton Spectator, the city in which the attack occured has already started rallying anger in the local community by pushing for another breed ban.

Here is a very sensational piece of writting on the follow up after the attack

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NA...2&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

Now the scary part, since the story was published their have been rumors that some mp's are pushing for a new BSL list which would include Rotti's, German Shepherds, Dobbermans and Akita's. For those who may be closed minded towards Pittie's or any of the breeds listed above, please take a miniute to realise that BSL is contagious, in most states that banned Pitties, Rottie's, Shepherds, Chow Chow's, Dobbermans and Mastiffs were usually not far behind and if we allow this type of descrimination to continue it will only be a matter of time before your beloved breed shows up on the list. We need to take action now and stand up against parliment to make our opinons very clear, we did not agree with the first breed ban but despite almost 80% opposition to it from the public, they passed it.

Since the ban we have seen cases throughout Canada showing other breeds attacking, including a german Shepherd cross,rotti and 3 stray dogs who attacked and killed a young boy in Edmonton.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6ef0147d-be6a-46ad-a238-fa2f2db01ea0&k=81217

This should only further illustrate what responsible dog owners have said all along, that ANY breed can attack and I strongly believe that if we want to be able to walk our dogs freely outside without having them muzzled like convicts then it is time to voice our opinions.

Here are letters to the editor that were published a few days ago in the Hamilton Spectator, by angry citizens who are pushing for more breed bans.

http://thespec.typepad.com/specthread/2007/01/pets_and_public.html#comments

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NA...6&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1112876262536

Their was one letter from a concerned dog owner that was published as well

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NA...7&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1112188062581

With another election around the corner I am truely concerned for the future of Rotti's in our provience as well as Shepherds, Dob's, Akita's and eventually the future of everyones dog.

When you look in European countries who started traditionally by banning the easy scapegoats such as pitties, dobs and rotties have since in some cases added up to 93 breeds that are restircted and illegal to own.

Please do not take the threat of BSL lightly if you are blessed enough to own a less commonly discriminated against breed such as labs or goldens keep in mind that the more dogs we allow them to ban the closer we come to an eventual complete dog ban.

I am here to express my deep concern for an impending Rotti ban which I fear is just around the corner and am asking ALL Ontario citizens to please write your mps, phone your mps, write in to your local newspapers and express your position on how this terrible tradgedy of the almost death of a young boy could of been prevented if the goverment would start taking irresponsible owners more seriously.

5 things which I would like us to propse and push for in the wake of BSL are as followed..

-The denocuation of Bill C-32 which was enacted on Augest 25th, 2006 which effectively made it illegal to own, breed or import pitbulls and pitbull like dogs ( such as mastiffs), as it is unconstituional and ineffective at protecting society from poorly trained and aggressive dogs.

- A mandatory Spay/ Neuter Law which can greatly reduce levels of aggression in both female and male dogs, avoiding unwanted litters and bad breeding which can create aggressive dogs. For registered kennels they should be allowed to continue opperations but buy some type of liscence which needs to be reunewed yearly. Again this would effectively cut down on the amount of BYB's and should effectively end puppy mills as to meet the lisence requirments you should need to prove a standard of care for your animals.

- Harder penalities for irresponsible dog owners and a zero tolerance policy. For examply if your dog escapes from your yard their should be heavy fines and if it happens again their should be the option of your dogs being confienscated and placed in rescue groups and your privillage to own dogs stripped for a period of time. Also if your dog bites someone YOU should be held accountable and be tried for assault in addition their should be the option for the judge to strip your right own dogs depending on the circumstances of the bite and so on.

-Stiffer penalties for anyone caught walking their dog offlesh in an urban zone

-Making obidence classes mandatory for all first time dog owners

I would appricate any other suggestions or changes made to those above propsals but If we could all come togther as a community, decide a way to make some realistic legislation that would work to make our communities safer from irresponsible owners and then start flooding media outlets and mps with our suggestions I think changes can occur.

Below I will list information about how to contact different newspapers, tv stations, radio stations and how to find and contact your local mp for your area.

Please if you are going to write or call any of the above try and be respectful, calm and know your facts. A good guide of things to discuss or write about would be

1) Discuss your disapproval of Bill 132 and how it has been ineffective
2) Discuss possible remedies such as the few I brainstormed alone and any other members may add
3) Your concern about a possible Rotti, GSD, Akita and Dob ban and why it is not effective

I'd like to use this thread as a sort of base where we can exhange ideas, post about what everyone is doing, post possible ralley's or protest down the road if we decide to go in that option and so we can stay informed and updated on the situation.

Kayla

Below are Contact information

CTV News Toronto- Mailing Address

P.O. Box 9, Station 'O,'
Scarborough Ontario
Canada
M4A 2M9

Global News- E-mail address

[email protected]

Global News- Mailing Address

81 Barber Greene Road
Toronto, ON M3C 2A2
Tel: (416) 446-5311

City News- You can call them or write them with concerns about BSL and it's ineffectiveness

MAILING ADDRESS

299 Queen St. West
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 2Z5

PHONE: (416) 591-5757

FAX: (416) 593-6397

E-mail address

[email protected]

You can find your local Mp and their contact information on this site

http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/mpp/daCurMbr.do?locale=en

I am going to cross post this on as many dog forums as possible and would please ask everyone else to do the same. I will be getting in touch with stoptheban.ca to see if we can try and organize a larger effort including humane societies, vets and dog trainers to start taking a stand against BSL right now before it's to late for more breeds.

As well here are websites to various information sources if anyone needs to find anything before writing letters

BSL information and links to Ontario Pitbull associations
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/breederinfo11.htm

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/dangerous_dogs.html

A list of BSL laws across Canada for members of other proviences

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/dangerousdogs/bylaws.html

Kayla

RD

Are you dead yet?
Good grief, people are just freaking out over this.

Until irresponsible owners and dangerous dogs of ALL breeds are targeted, there will continue to be numerous fatalities due to dog attacks. Obviously, Bill 132 has done nothing to reduce this.

Brandyb

Kayla,
What you have done is amazing. May I make one suggestion though. It has been proven that aggression is not nessessarily reduced by spay/neuter. It can help, yes, however, it is not significant enough to say that it will greatly reduce levels of it. That should probably be reworded to the effect of "spay/neuter CAN help in the reduction of SOME aggression in canines."
There have been cases, especially in females, that spaying can increase aggression (please note though, I am in favour of sapy/neuter, I just want to point out some facts that may need rewording).
The aggression, or behaviour that it reduces is obviosly sexually related, which is not a significant factor of aggression in dogs on humans.
Please PM me if their is anything "artistically" that you made need, like posters, brochures etc. I'd be glad to help.
I would hate to see the list of banned dogs get longer. I would like to see the initial bill reversed and stiffer animal cruelty laws made.

Kayla

Could one of the mods possibly make this a sticky so everyone can view it as it will take a few weeks for me to get intouch with all of these groups and organize an effort before going to the media and I don't want it to be lost before then.

It would be greatly appreciated
Kayla

BostonBanker

"pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, American pit bull terrier or a dog that shares the physical characteristics with any of the above."
Is that really what the law says? Seriously? "shares the physical characteristics of any of the above". Like, four feet, short hair, and folded ears? Who gets to judge that?

As the owner of a dog who could be mistaken for a pit bull by someone without much knowledge, that is a very scary piece of legislation.

Further proof that BSL is idiocy.

Meggie

Is that really what the law says? Seriously? "shares the physical characteristics of any of the above". Like, four feet, short hair, and folded ears? Who gets to judge that?

As the owner of a dog who could be mistaken for a pit bull by someone without much knowledge, that is a very scary piece of legislation.

Further proof that BSL is idiocy.
Yes, it seriously says that. And who gets to judge it? The first idiot who points a finger and screams, "Omg! It's a PIT BULL! Run! Run for your lives!!!" Then uses that same finger to dial the SPCA. The wording really is stupid.

Kayla

Yes unfortunatly that is excatly how the law is worded, people have mastiffs virtually need to keep the muzzled in public as so many animal control officers are quick to point and say pitbull regardless of the fact most pitties stay under 70lbs. Before Diamond, our pure white boxer passed away I was almost stopped daily and interrogated as to why my pitbull was not muzzled, I had to explain the differences to the one officer and she wanted me to go home and get her registration papers to prove it.

The onus is on dog owners to prove they do not own an am staff and it's affiliates when it comes down to questions of breed.

Kayla

Kayla

Ok updates, just finished talking with a representative from the Toronto Humane Society and we have discussed a few changes to my inital proposal to make it more effective.

We have decided the original suggested laws that might be more effective and punishing irresponsible owners were a little misplaced in piticular the zero tolerance for offlesh dogs, as I realise this could happen to many responsible owners and might be negative for any lost dogs who's owners may not have the finicial income to pay any fines therefore may not claim them.

We've also decided to cut out the bit about mandatory obidence lessons because, as nice as that would be it would be to costly to effectively enforce and would not help our chances at getting politicians to support it.

Also we've decided to try and organize a yearly anti-bsl march with a public education focus, with various socities like the humane socity and therapy dogs to show off breed ambassadors for pitties and rotti's as we need more public awareness before going after politics

A date has not been set for the march as I'm still getting ahold of a few more organizations and have to go through all of the proper procedures through the city of planning such a thing.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Kayla

Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies. So many -- not all, of course -- people who own other breeds never want to believe that they can be next in line for their spot on the chopping block. So you'll find people with Rotties and GSDs and Akitas happy to cut the APBT loose because it doesn't affect them. Yet.

This is why we call BSL a slippery slope. I will hope for the best on this one. Maybe it can be turned around to prove that BSL makes no sense because you'd have to keep adding more breeds.

Kayla

Alright another update - Just getting in touch with event organziers but planning on our first demonstration to be at the All about pets show at the International Center here in Toronto in April. We will be setting up an interactive display with three office cubicle walls, donated by my step dad's work with one large wall being dedicated to families with their pitties who have been disrupted by Bill 132 as well as one one wall dedicated to pitbull and BSL targetted dog education and the last wall will be the kids safety tip wall with large easy read bits of facts about how to be safe around dogs in various situations. We will also have a table with pamphlets with more in depth information about the discrimination Bill 132 imposes as well as a lab top with an interactive feature to watch such pro pitbull video clips that we always post on dog forums, as it's time the public learns the truth.

In addition we are trying to get in touch with the Dog legislatave Council of Canada who have been on the forfront of fighting Bill 132 since it's enactment to word a petition for us to present to the governer general as last year the show's attendance was in the hundreds of thousands. In addition I am trying to get ahold of a friend, who ran Duke's puppy kindergarden class at Doggie Central who owns a registered therapy Rotti to come along with my friends pittie who is a perfect breed ambassador and will be wearing a nice blue bow to show off to everyone their.

I will get pics from the actual show day and we are also organizing a march against BSL on Augest 25th, the day Bill 132 was created to protest it's discrimination.

Bottom line were not going down without a fight, and we will liberate out fallen Pittie's.

For those who asked what you can do in small town areas, even if you put togther some kind of public display at your local community centre, try and make it as interesting as possible and hand out pamphlets and so on.

Cheers
Kayla

Members online

No members online now.