Thinking about a Mac?

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I was completely lost when I first started to do work on my PC, too. And then when I made the change to Mac, it took me a day to get used to it.
So if it took you a day to get used to working on a Mac, why is the fact that GO didn't immediately understand how to copy and paste that funny? Did you just know how to control-click, and that rather than hitting the control key, you should instead use the Apple key?

No, because I personally have used BOTH for years before and I KNOW Mac to be superior.
But that's your opinion. What about those who have used both and find PCs to be superior? Are they still wrong simply because you prefer to own a Mac? Why are you allowed to be a non-professional who has used both and decided she prefers Macs, but those using PCs can't draw the same conclusion?

The only valid response from the PC side has been Eddie, who HAS worked in both and still prefers PC's.
So is nothing I've said valid simply because I use them for artsy stuff? :confused: Why are none of the arguments put forth my PC users valid, but those from all of the Mac users are?

I think the entire Mac vs. PC argument is pointless. No one is ever going to agree that one is better than the other. I prefer Macs, but I don't think PCs pointless pieces of crap. They still work just as well for me. Then again, I'm just a crazy college kid, not a professional. What do I know.

Aaand, now I must go finish my portfolio, using the almighty Mac. Sweet.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
In my opinion, people who say they "tried" it for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to copy and paste (by the way, still LOLing at that.. too funny ) have no experience to back the claim that Macs are not intuitive.
I already told you I did figure it out and it was not intuitive, nor was it the only problem I had. The drag and drop thing? Computer error.

It is much more intuitive to right click a file and get a menu that has Copy written on it. At least then you can accidentally discover the function you're looking for.

And you've still not answered my questions.

Then again, I'm just a crazy college kid, not a professional. What do I know.
Eh join the club. She obviously enjoys slinging insults around much more then actually giving good reasoning behind her claims.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think the entire Mac vs. PC argument is pointless. No one is ever going to agree that one is better than the other. I prefer Macs, but I don't think PCs pointless pieces of crap. They still work just as well for me. Then again, I'm just a crazy college kid, not a professional. What do I know.
Yep, I knew which button to use for 'control' because I knew the apple key was the control button for macs. Not hard to figure out at all. And I'm pretty lame when it comes to computers. And it took me a day to get used to. I was up and running with it as soon as I powered it on. It was quite a change, but I didn't deem it unworthy because of something as silly (in my opinion of course) as not being able to do a copy/paste.

I'm allowed to think what I want and so is everyone else. I find PC's to be pieces of crap and will never waste money on one again, but if others find enjoyment out of them, then good. But I will always argue that Mac's are better and will always suggest that an individual at least check them out before buying a PC.

I needed a computer that I could trust to NOT fail on me. I just wrote a 40 page thesis and I was completely confident in Apple's ability to provide adequate machines, I would not have felt the same using a PC given MY experience.

Professionals do know more. That was the point of my stating I'm going to take the word of a professional over a college kid (crazy was your word).

And I'm not slinging insults. I just find it hilarious that one of three (if I recall correctly) arguments brought to the table about macs was not being able to figure out copy/paste features. If that is the one thing holding back a user, by all means, continue to use PC's. Really, this isn't worth my time anymore and it's no longer fun, please do as you (generally speaking)wish with your money and buy a PC. As for me, I will stick to Macs. *bows out* ;)

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
No I never said it was holding me back because I did figure it out after a spell. I said it was not intuitive which is the argument ya'll have been making this whole time.

Pressing the apple key is in no way more intuitive then the ctrl key.

But you're not looking for reasoning. You just want to proclaim Macs are better and that's that. Anything to the contrary is wrong, regardless of the reasons.

I just find it hilarious that one of three (if I recall correctly) arguments brought to the table about macs
And I've not heard a single valid argument against Windows nor will ya'll list reasons why a Mac is more intuitive, ever after countless repeats of the question.

Ya'll say a Windows unit is hard, cumbersome, what have you. Yahh...not seeing that. They're very easy to operate and much more functional (except at graphics) then a Mac. The only time they get bogged down and slow is when people don't take proper care of them. And that's user error through and through. Can't blame it on the computer.

*'bows out' as well to study Pharmacology*

96 GTS

Custom User Title
I haven't had too much time to play with you guys in this thread, but here goes.

I've been using PCs since I was 4, and have always had them around, so I know my way around the Windows operating system. I'm split between Mac and PC now, I have to use Macs for one of my classes at school, and PCs for another class.

I like both, a lot actually. I would love to have a Mac at home, but I'm not going to be shelling out the money for one any time soon unfortunately. The Mac Pro is an awesome machine, but a starting price of $2700? Ouch.

The PC I use at home I built 3 years ago, it still runs just fine. However, I've formatted it a bunch of times. None were from crashes though, I've had Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and three different flavors of Linux all one one poor hard drive, sometimes at the same time. It's crashed on me before, but all the crashes have been from either me intentionally messing around, or from poorly written software.

The Macs I use at school don't crash any more or less frequently than my PC. I've had one just crash while I was in the middle of writing a paper before, which sucked. I've also had one crash and lose photos. Luckily they were still on my camera. In terms of software, Aperture is an absolute disgrace. It looks beautiful, but literally doesn't work. You click the tab to adjust exposure and contrast, and there's literally nothing there. It's great for edge sharpening though. ;)

I don't care what people say, both OSs have their own unique quirks. That's just part of being an OS, no Operating System is going to be completely intuitive for everyone, just because everyone things differently. For example, sitting here on this Mac typing this post, I would expect the end key to bring the cursor to the end of my line of text, instead it scrolls the page all the way to the bottom. Right clicking isn't exactly intuitive, but neither is control clicking. Ending a frozen program by holding the icon on the dock isn't intuitive, but neither is right clicking on the taskbar, opening the task manager, and closing it that way. Oh, and I do think it's weird that dragging a file to another folder copies it instead of moving it on OSX, but I could get used to it.

For the final one, clicking start to shut down the computer is no more or less intuitive or sensible than clicking a blue Apple to shut down the computer.

[edit]I do love the 360 degree scroll wheel on the new Bluetooth Apple mice, it's so helpful. I also like being able to finally right click with Apple mice. I do miss having all the other buttons that my PC mouse has.[/edit]

It was quite a change, but I didn't deem it unworthy because of something as silly (in my opinion of course) as not being able to do a copy/paste.
Wait. You mean you can't copy/paste on a Mac? :eek: Someone should have told me before I did it so many times :eek:

96 GTS

Custom User Title
By the way, just as I was posting my last response, Caitlin's Mac crashed. "Illustrator CS3 has quit unexpectedly." LOL.

Oh, and there is now a war raging in my parents' home over this.

It seems my dad really likes my little G4, so he's decided to get himself an Apple laptop. And he's going to give my mom the $2200 Dell laptop he just bought.

SHE wants the Apple.

:D

If mama anit happy anit nobody happy. Remind him of that. lol It was his FUBAR to even get the dell.
Well, no, not really. There is some justice to her getting stuck with the thing. She insisted that he was not ALLOWED to get another computer unless he got a Dell, since her friend's son is a Dell tech :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.