Am I doing It Right???????

ok, heres the deal. my 5 month old freckles is a dachound.she cute and she doesnt nip and she know sit and when i say up she puts her front 2 paws up on my hand, shes working on lay down and roll over :D. thats not the problem, the problem is that shes not all the way potty trained and i had her for a month. am i doing it right??(i mean the potty training). I thought she was until last night, she peed on the floor. im not sure if this is an accident or is it that i forgot some thing. i praise the heck out of her in the morning when she goes out side. im not sure if im giving her enough credit or what???Let me know,
dai :D :cool: :) sy

Even after a month, a pup is going to have accidents from time to time. It sounds like you're doing the right things, just remember she's still a baby and hasn't been with you for very long. Potty training takes time and patience - lots of patience! Just make sure you're taking her out at regular intervals and about 15 or 20 minutes after she's eaten. Has she started telling you when she needs to go out yet? :D

not really, but i can some how tell. shell start sniffing around. i can also tell when she went some where. show bows her head and she really does look guilty. Last night she went on the kitchen floor and she wouldnt even look at me at first. Once i noticed the puddle she came to me and gave me that innocent look.lol.

My two cents: I had a doxy for 14 years. That dog peed on the floor twice a day every day for her entire life. Granted, I wasn't a trainer at that time, but doxies are notoriously hard to potty train.

It sounds to me like you're doing it right so far. Somewhere here we told someone how to teach his dog to ring a bell to go outside, which I think would've helped my doxy and may help you. I'll try to find the thread and link to it. :)

Purr

~3 Mutts~
CreatureTeacher said:
Somewhere here we told someone how to teach his dog to ring a bell to go outside, which I think would've helped my doxy and may help you. I'll try to find the thread and link to it. :)
All you have to do is hang a bell from the doorknob by a piece of ribbon, and ring it every time you take her out. Ring the bell, and say "outside!" or whatever word you use, then praise her, and take her out.

That won't cue her in to using the bell herself. I described it in detail somewhere, but I can't find the darn thing. So I'll give the abridged version:

1. Get a little tinkly bell for the door she's used to going out of. Hang it from the doorknob, low enough that she can reach it easily with all four on the floor. Show it to her and demonstrate how it rings so it doesn't startle her.

2. When you're ready to take her out, hold the bell (so it doesn't ring) and smear just a little peanut butter or something else yummy and gooey on the tip of the bell. Let her lick it off, and open the door as soon as the bell rings. The timing is pretty crucial, so as soon as you hear anything out of the bell, let her out.

3. Repeat every time you take her out. It should take about a week-and-a-half to get her doing it on her own, if you let her out 4 or 5 times a day. This is an agreement between you and your pooch; every time you hear that bell, you are obliged to let her out or she'll quit using it. Once she's learned it, you can insist on a little louder or more forceful ring before you let her out. But for now, be sure to listen for it.

4. It also never hurts to put the actual act of pottying on command. (Mine is "pee on that", which I know isn't terribly attractive, but it gets the job done! :) ) Pick a single command that applies the #1 and #2--a lot of people use "hurry up"--and say it while she's pottying. Then, when she finishes up, reward her. This command tends to take a little time to learn, but it's worth it when you have to take her out on a cold, snowy night! All my kids know that "pee on that" means you'd better do your business quick if you want it to get done!

She's still pretty young, so you can probably expect the occasional accident. But if you give her a signal (the bell) that she knows you'll listen to, you'll have a much cleaner carpet!

Purr

~3 Mutts~
CreatureTeacher said:
That won't cue her in to using the bell herself.
I've never used the bell myself. That's the way someone else described it on a different forum. You describe it in so much better detail :p

Members online

No members online now.