Storing kibble

Pomp

At what temperature should one store kibble? Room temperature? Cold?

The reason why I ask is that I bought a few bags, put them in my trunk, couldn't carry them all in, and left a couple in my trunk. I live in Boston so it's cold and they were in my trunk.

Humm good question, I would say cool lol, no where to warn and not cold enough so they may freeze, I hope someone else has a few ideas, if you are going to be keeping them for a while make sure the date is good on the bags

After you open the bag, do we have to store them in a air-tight container 'cos I just opened a 10kg bag of kibble last nite and I couldn't find anything to store them in.
Any suggestions or should I just store them in the bag and fold the tear on the package shut?

I get a 15kg bag each time, and I just fold down the top, but it depends on how long you have it for, mine gets used up quickly

mojozen

bullie lover
I store my in empty clean paint pails (5 gallon - not sure what the conversion would be - sorry!) I bought from a home improvement/hardware store. They seem to work well, and with the lid kept on when not in use, the food doesn't go stale. :)

Fran27

First, the question wasn't about what storage container you use to store the food, but about the temperature.

Second, lots of brands actually advise to keep the food in the bag, so that you don't lose lots of nutrients.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I bought an airtight container from the store. Also I don't buy more food than my dogs will eat in a month. Usually a 20 lb bag will last me a little over a month until I can get out to the store agian.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Fran27 said:
First, the question wasn't about what storage container you use to store the food, but about the temperature.

Second, lots of brands actually advise to keep the food in the bag, so that you don't lose lots of nutrients.
yeah but once someone says what they store their food in then everybody else has to too (including me:D ). Monkey see Monkey do, don't ya know;) ? Do bags really say to keep the food in the bags? I have to go read my bag now.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Yup, it's generally better to store the food in the bag in an airtight container.

1. The bag is designed to protect nutrients.
2. You will always still have the UPC and production code in case you need to know for some reason (e.g. a food recall).
3. Plastic containers that aren't made from food-safe material can react with the exposed food, destroying nutrients and sometimes even causing allergies.

If you use a food-safe container, at least cut the UPC and production code off the bag and keep it until the food is used up.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I always keep the UPC code because we have the frequent buyers program at our store so after 12 bags you get 1 bag free. I have never stayed on one brand long enough to get the free bag but hopefully with Canidae I will (i'm already 2 bags into in). I'll have to start just storing it in the bag in the container then from now on. I didn't know that.

mojozen

bullie lover
Mordy said:
Yup, it's generally better to store the food in the bag in an airtight container.

1. The bag is designed to protect nutrients.
2. You will always still have the UPC and production code in case you need to know for some reason (e.g. a food recall).
3. Plastic containers that aren't made from food-safe material can react with the exposed food, destroying nutrients and sometimes even causing allergies.

If you use a food-safe container, at least cut the UPC and production code off the bag and keep it until the food is used up.

Mordy - I did not know that. I will change how i store food now. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.