Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog jealous of baby?

Hi, my dog, Cricket, is a Chow/Collie mix that we adopted from the shelter about 3 years ago. She's approximately 7 years old.

I recently had a baby (he's 5 months old now) and ever since I was pregnant the dog has been peeing in the house.

Sometimes she will be just fine, but other times if we pay more attention to the baby then her she will pee in the house. We try to give her attention and play with her. We let her outside to pee every 2 hours when we are home (otherwise she is crated)

My husband and I are at our wits end on how to get her to stop peeing in the house. She's a great dog otherwise, very quiet and gentle. But I can't take cleaning up pee at least once a week, lately it's been daily. We've already taken her to the vet and there was nothing physically wrong with her.

Help!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

She's not jealous of the baby.

When dogs get older (and 7 years for a large breed is, unfortunately, considered older), they loose some of their bladder control. I think it's very possible this is what you're experiencing. If so, there's not a lot you can do about it.... they make diapers for dogs, you might find those to be easier than cleaning up all the time.

You might also have to take her outside more often, maybe every 1 1/2 hours while you are at home, especially if she's awake a lot. What I mean is, if she's napping of course don't wake her up just to take her outside, but do pay attention to when she wakes up and starts walking around, that's probably when she'll have to go.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Island dweller

Are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean up the pee spots? You should start doing that if you aren't.

My Nanook is a bit 'jealous' of our daughter. Some of the rules have changed a bit and it's definitely an adjustment period. Some dogs adjust better than others.

How did you introduce the baby to your dog? And how did she react? I'd make sure you give your dog a lot of one-on-one attention everyday without the baby so she knows she's still special.

It may be incontinence as well. Did you ask your vet?

Congrats on the baby
Old 06-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Squishy22

Maybe crate training will help??
Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Big Dog

i would be careful with this it could be jelous or it could be age i would first talk to your vet to rule out any medical problems if there are none then i would really supervise the baby around your dog chows are a very tempermental breed that get attached to one person if that person is not there for them there is not telling what this dog will do
Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I just want to know where you are finding the urine. Is she urinating in front of you, or are you finding spots after the fact?

Honestly, tho, I don't think it really matters. I see a poor prognosis for the future of this dog.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Sorry that you are having this problem and yes , I'd be very watchful ! Chows can be very unpredictable !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-29-2008, 01:23 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I'm wondering what you're vet had to say about it since you said you took Cricket in to be examined? Did he have any suggestions? Was any bloodwork done or was it just a physical examination?

Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

It could be stress or her age. How much has her schedule changed? Does she still get play time and exercise with you or your husband? Were new rules put into place suddenly (restrictions from rooms she used to be allowed in or things like that). Has she been getting punished more since you got pregnant (some normal canine behavior like jumping are tolerable...unless your pregnant so you started punishing her for these previously accepted behaviors). Does the babies crying bother her? How does she overall react to the baby? If any of these thins are the problem she could be peeing out of stress due to too many changes too quickly.

Does she ever pee in her sleep? Does she still ask to go out ever? Does she tend to go in the same spot? Does she regularly soil your or the babies clothing instead of say the carpet? Does she tend to have the accidents at a certain time each day? Does she hold it through the night?

Make sure the cleaner you use, as was said before, contains enzymes because enzymes actually break down the proteins in the urine that dogs can smell and people can't.

I hope you can figure this out, I'm sure she is a great dog and I know how frustrating this must be especially with a new baby. Good luck!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Sorry that you are having this problem and yes , I'd be very watchful ! Chows can be very unpredictable !
Excuse me? Are you saying that an entire breed can be very unpredictable?