Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default wtf is that supposed to mean.. "wrong kind of person for this breed"

so I took my friends dog out for a bit of a walk (we are both feeling kind of cramped in this tiny dorm) and we get to the park and play for a little bit and notice someone else is there with an australian shepherd.

I say hi, and say what a cute dog she has. (and im kind of embarrased because I didn't notice her there and was baby talking and playing with a tennis ball and being silly and having fun with the dog)

and she looks at my friends dog and says
"Is that english shepherd yours?"

I say no, that shes a friends dog.
and I KID YOU NOT, she says
"Ohh that's what I thought. You don't seem like the right person for that kind of dog"

So I'm just like "Well we get along fine"
and she says.. I KID YOU NOT.
"Those dogs need serious work and serious people"

I just walked away.
wtf is that supposed to even MEAN?? Me and this dog get along fine, I've been caring for him for two days and he doesn't mind that I'm not "serious" ! or that he doesn't have a serious "job"

I'm sick of people telling me what I am or am not capable of. Yea, he does require more exercise than any other dog I've had. but I've been doing that, and we have been getting along just fine! Hes different than any other dog I've ever had but I'd LOVE to have a dog like him and now I feel like its WRONG of me to feel that way, like I'm not the "right kind of person" for this breed or something.
I didn't even know breeds had "right kinds of people", I think a person willing to make an effort and do what needs to be done to keep a dog happy is the "right kind of person" !
and she didn't even know me! who is she to say what kind of person I am?

Sure, I live in a city and I'm not a serious person, I babytalk and like to play and laugh. but does that really mean that I'm somehow some kind of incompetent "kind of person" INCAPABLE of owning ENTIRE breeds??

Last edited by Fran101; 01-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Apparently you can't babytalk an English Shepherd? Who knew? That woman needs a good trout smack ....

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Taxiderpy

What a jerk. Like someone can tell what kind of person someone is and what activities they do with their dog within a few minutes of first meeting them.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
swimming upstream

I think I would have outright laughed at that comment--like this person REALLY knows you or something? LOL--would love to know what kind of dog they thought was right for you! ROFL!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm All Ears

I get weird looks when people find out I have toy dogs. Apparently you need to be really girly and all that to enjoy little dogs. Oh and if you want to do serious dog sports then by no means should you have a toy dog. lol

Oookay. Whatever. :P
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Well I agree in the way that a Mal is NOT a good dog for my grandparents. They like small, calm lap dogs and their chosen breed is the Bichon Frise.

But what a rude person making that judgment, which is first of all none of her business, and second, within what, minutes of just watching you with the dog?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I get weird looks when people find out I have toy dogs. Apparently you need to be really girly and all that to enjoy little dogs. Oh and if you want to do serious dog sports then by no means should you have a toy dog. lol

Oookay. Whatever. :P
I get the same reaction when I say I have a chi. And chis are one of the ultimate purse dogs.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm All Ears

I used to have a lot of fun walking around dressed in all black with skulls and stuff on my clothes (I went through a phase lmao) and then walking my little floofy dog in pink. I got strange looks that way but it was hilarious.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

LOL Laur - that is AWESOME!

Everyone's surprised when I say I have a dog in schutzhund - I kinda like surprising people like that. And in schutzhund I think a lot of people have been surprised at how well Kes is doing - yay for breaking stereotypes!!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I used to have a lot of fun walking around dressed in all black with skulls and stuff on my clothes (I went through a phase lmao) and then walking my little floofy dog in pink. I got strange looks that way but it was hilarious.
i always enjoyed walking my miniature poodle alongside my pit bull. it messed with peoples' heads and blew two stereotypes out of the water in one go.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?